• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

POLL: The most iconic SUV of all time

What’s your pick?

• Jeep CJ5/7

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Mercedes G Wagon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chevrolet Suburban

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Toyota Land Cruiser

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Toyota 4Runner

• Ford Bronco

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Land Rover Defender

• Original Jeep Wagoneer

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
What is your pick of the most iconic SUV of all time?
I go with the Wagoneer. My B-i-L had one in the mid-1980s and was proud of it... I didn't like it and still don't have SUVs. But it showed the way in the modern automobile market. It was a very, very nice vehicle, especially by the standards of 1985, just not to my taste. I have never had a large SUV and don't care to own one.

Suburban would be my second choice. It dates back to the 1930's and our Scoutmaster had one and our troop took it on our week plus long trips. Pulling the troop trailer and with a bunch of us in it. It was probably an early 1960's version without A/C so if you can imagine 8+ hour road trips with 4x60 AC (assuming it could hit 60 filled and while towing). IIRC we probably rotated between the suburban and other cars so we'd get some AC and comfort... but most of what I remember of those trips was the Suburban. Today's Suburbans are several orders of magnitude more comfortable.

Last edited:

I went with the 4Runner, only because it’s by far the best auto I’ve ever owned. Other than that I would probably go with an old blazer or bronco.

I went with the 4Runner, only because it’s by far the best auto I’ve ever owned. Other than that I would probably go with an old blazer or bronco.

I've had all three, plus a old Scout, Suburban and loved them all. Wish I still had my K5 Blazer.

I've only had an Explorer and Suburban.

Love my Suburban and it's mammoth cargo capacity. All the thousands of campouts and weekend training events I did over the years, I never had to make time to "pack" -- I'd just open the lift gate and throw it in. There was always room for more.

Mine was declared terminal by my mechanic last fall (320k miles). I had to insist he change the oil, because he didn't think it was worth it anymore, but 8 months later she's still going as strong as ever.

Last edited:
I've only had an Explorer and Suburban.

Love my Suburban and it's mammoth cargo capacity. All the thousands of campouts and weekend training events I did over the years, I never had to make time to "pack" -- I'd just open the lift gate and throw it in. There was always room for more.

Mine was declared terminal by my mechanic last fall (320k miles). I had to insist he change the oil, because he didn't think it was worth it anymore, but 8 months later she's still going as strong as ever.

Ford has come up with several Suburban beaters over the years - never could do it. Suburban is in a class all its own.

GET TICKETS

Back