• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Players and media calling coaches by first name

juju

The future starts now.
5 Year Member
I remember it to some degree with Bo and Carl Pelini, but even then kids said "coach Bo".

Don't remember it with Riley off the top.

Then Frost gets here and you here "Frosty", Chins, Mickey, Fish. No coach.

I may have been an old school soldier, but we never said "Sarge" or called a superior by first name.

If I called a coach by their first or last name my dad's would have snatched me up by my ear real quick. That is if the coach didn't first.

Media doesn't even do it if you look at Saban. They still call him Coach.

Makes me wonder how buddy buddy certain coaches got previously.

I learned early in the Army that if you go in hard ass you can always back off, but if you go in soft you will never be able to hold people to a higher standard after the fact. Seen it a million times.

Did Frost get to buddy buddy trying to play the we are friends game?

I remember it to some degree with Bo and Carl Pelini, but even then kids said "coach Bo".

Don't remember it with Riley off the top.

Then Frost gets here and you here "Frosty", Chins, Mickey, Fish. No coach.

I may have been an old school soldier, but we never said "Sarge" or called a superior by first name.

If I called a coach by their first or last name my dad's would have snatched me up by my ear real quick. That is if the coach didn't first.

Media doesn't even do it if you look at Saban. They still call him Coach.

Makes me wonder how buddy buddy certain coaches got previously.

I learned early in the Army that if you go in hard ass you can always back off, but if you go in soft you will never be able to hold people to a higher standard after the fact. Seen it a million times.

Did Frost get to buddy buddy trying to play the we are friends game?
Some of that is going to be based on the person. I think we are moving more and more toward a culture that is less formal. If the coach prefers to be called by a nickname instead of by coach, I don't have any issue with that. However, I think it is a sign of respect to call a coach- "coach". Similar to the way you'd call a doctor a doctor, or a chef a chef.

I wouldn't read too much into that. But, I don't disagree with your premise.

Yeah.. can you imagine back in the day players calling Coach Osborne, "Tom" or just "Osborne" ,or "T.O."... They all spoke with a notable reverence. I would hear these players today just call Coach Frost.... "Frost" .. ..and it always occurred to me that maybe they didn't respect him enough. But... as mentioned above... cultural changes are maybe more to do with it than reverence or lack thereof.

Some of that is going to be based on the person. I think we are moving more and more toward a culture that is less formal. If the coach prefers to be called by a nickname instead of by coach, I don't have any issue with that. However, I think it is a sign of respect to call a coach- "coach". Similar to the way you'd call a doctor a doctor, or a chef a chef.

I wouldn't read too much into that. But, I don't disagree with your premise.
I agree with you that it’s a has more to do with the culture shift then a lack of respect. I was taught as a kid that I had to call adults Mr, Mrs, Dr, Coach, Sergeant etc unless I was given permission by that person to call them by their first name. My wife and I have enforced the same rules on our kids as they’ve grown up.

I agree with you that it’s a has more to do with the culture shift then a lack of respect. I was taught as a kid that I had to call adults Mr, Mrs, Dr, Coach, Sergeant etc unless I was given permission by that person to call them by their first name. My wife and I have enforced the same rules on our kids as they’ve grown up.
I was raised that way, as well, but many my age were not. You see more and more young adults want to be referred to by their first name, because Mr., Mrs. makes them feel old. I do think it shows added respect, but to each his own.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back