• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Player Retention

I only watched clips of her kicks so yes I made a snap judgment and did not do research.

So yep....

But I also watched her in those clips and she did not look comfortable at all. And I wasn’t impressed with her athleticism. She had a real deer in the headlights stare. Perhaps it was just the immensity of what she was doing. Excusable surely the first game.

I certainly don’t wish her ill. Nor wish her to fail. I was just posting a snap judgment based on what I saw. And what little I saw from a college football perspective, out of context....was just not that good.

My bad.....

Culp seems very solid...THAT part of the kicking game seems much better this year.
Can she punt? That part needs help methinks....

I'd be a deer in the headlights too! :)

I think the problem is you took it from an analysis of her skills as a kicker (which may or may not be complete based on the available information, as you admirably admit), but then you took it "it was a publicity stunt" which calls into the question the motivation of the coach. That there's some kind of hidden agenda other than a coach trying to find a way to get the players he needs to win on the field and she just happened to be his best option, in his opinion. Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes it's just football.

Last edited:

I saw this coming 12 years ago when I coached HS Ball.....by the time I retired...it was the “norm”

The kids could care less about a school and what it has....what they want is will I play...and play early in a system that showcases my talent. They are hugely sophisticated about recruiting....have all the information as to what teams have what holes to fill...how many others are being recruited at their position...and their Parents are even MORE sophisticated than they are. They are totally familiar with ALL the tech tools like HUDL and are savvy with social media

Yeah I think parents are definitely adept at gaming the system, as it were. But then again ... as a parent I want my kid to be happy. If my kid says he wants to play, and have a chance to be successful, I'm going to help him find a school that's going let that happen. Now, I'm also going to try to point him to a coach that's going to help him develop in all aspects of his life ... personal, academic, and athletically ... but I'm not going to send him to a school I like just because I like that school unless it fits those other criteria.

The old ideas about coming to your “dream school,” and loyalty to that program....it’s just not applicable anymore.

I agree "loyalty" is a fading virtue, but I'd argue it started long before the current crop of high school students. There's very little reward for loyalty in our current society. Without getting political or philosophical, kids are just adopting what they see pervasive in all the other aspects of modern American society. We shouldn't be surprised when they don't buck the trend. Everyone is taught to be a consumer, and football scholarships are sadly no different.

I think the problem is you took it from an analysis of her skills as a kicker (which may or may not be complete based on the available information, as you admirably admit), but then you took it "it was a publicity stunt" which calls into the question the motivation of the coach. That there's some kind of hidden agenda other than a coach trying to find a way to get the players he needs to win on the field and she just happened to be his best option, in his opinion. Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes it's just football.

My goodness - I want that on a T-shirt. Perhaps tattooed on my chest.

I saw this coming 12 years ago when I coached HS Ball.....by the time I retired...it was the “norm”

The kids could care less about a school and what it has....what they want is will I play...and play early in a system that showcases my talent. They are hugely sophisticated about recruiting....have all the information as to what teams have what holes to fill...how many others are being recruited at their position...and their Parents are even MORE sophisticated than they are. They are totally familiar with ALL the tech tools like HUDL and are savvy with social media

The old ideas about coming to your “dream school,” and loyalty to that program....it’s just not applicable anymore. And that is hard for a Midwesterner, with Midwestern values to understand.

The Transfer Portal has changed the landscape and once a no penalty clause gores into effect....the Wild West will take place. It’s totally wild now...but will get even wilder.....

And the sooner Nebraska adjusts to that and starts looking at the transfer portal as just part of the landscape .....and recruits from it as a source of INCOMING talent.....

The better off we will be.
Amen brother

That there's some kind of hidden agenda other than a coach trying to find a way to get the players he needs to win on the field and she just happened to be his best option, in his opinion. Not everything is a conspiracy. Sometimes it's just football.
i see what you are saying but I never took it as something with a hidden agenda. It was an open agenda and statement.....and the way this year has gone with social justice issues entering the domain of sports...I just thought it another attempt In that vein.

I should have done some research on her kick which was plainly awful. And she did look uncomfortable as heck almost not knowing where to place the ball on the tee when you watch her closely. But as I said, pretty excusable for first game jitters and the uniqueness of what she was doing. The obvious question is: “Is this the best kicker Vandy can put on the field?” If so, then go for it. If it’s to somehow “motivate”...I question the decision. If it was to try to gain positive publicity with a struggling program and coach. Well yeah, I guess, but again, The negatives might outweigh any positives.

And I want to go on record here to say I don’t give a hoot in hell whether it’s a male or female, black, white, Hispanic, native American, old, young, straight, gay, Jewish, Catholic, Muslim, Methodist or even a Baptist!

I didn’t care about that crap in the service...and I don’t now.

I just want people to act with manners and do their jobs, raise their families, and be solid members of their community as best they can.

Oh and have a little empathy and tolerance.

that last word...tolerance...seems to be in short supply lately in the US.

Apologies if it appeared I was not being that way.

Last edited:
I agree "loyalty" is a fading virtue,
Probably, when associated with college sports and even to some extent, High School sports....

But if people could have seen the young Americans I commanded over the years in the Army....and in today’s Armed Forces.

There is no mistaking their absolute loyalty to this country and their unfailing devotion to duty.

Probably, when associated with college sports and even to some extent, High School sports....

But if people could have seen the young Americans I commanded over the years in the Army....and in today’s Armed Forces.

There is no mistaking their absolute loyalty to this country and their unfailing devotion to duty.

Probably the last social institution where loyalty is both expected and rewarded. Bilateral loyalty is almost extinct everywhere else, I'm afraid.

The old ideas about coming to your “dream school,” and loyalty to that program....it’s just not applicable anymore. And that is hard for a Midwesterner, with Midwestern values to understand.

The Transfer Portal has changed the landscape and once a no penalty clause gores into effect....the Wild West will take place. It’s totally wild now...but will get even wilder.....

And the sooner Nebraska adjusts to that and starts looking at the transfer portal as just part of the landscape .....and recruits from it as a source of INCOMING talent.....

The better off we will be.
So you are saying that we look to the "unstable list" (transfer portal) as a likely source of kids to come to DONU and STAY for multiple years and be developed after they have shown that they would not do that at their previous school because as you say: "The kids could care less about a school and what it has....what they want is will I play...and play early in a system that showcases my talent."
That seems to me to be the silliest premise I have ever heard! :(

@HuskerSuperGenius

Nope I don’t think it’s silly....I think it’s just reality.

The ease of the transfer portal this year, and if they pass the no penalty clause for future years, it’s just going to totally remake the landscape.

Sure you want to try to develop and hold onto kids. A given.

All I’m saying is in the future this is just going to be harder and harder to do with the third string, younger, “depth players” and even some second stringers.

And we can either sit back and lament about it or we can face reality and learn how to use it to our favor.

Other schools have already started doing this. Look at Ohio State and the quarterback they have. He was not developed in house. Oklahoma has done it for YEARS. Rutgers completely rebuilt it’s team in ONE year and is having some limited success using it this year alone. Maryland got a five star quarterback out of Alabama. When Illinois beat us, the three skilled players that did almost all of the damage we’re all from the transfer portal. Wisconsin has for years worked the graduate Transfer, or Transfer portal for a needed hole to fill.

It’s only going to get easier for a kid to leave.

We either find measures to cope with it, adjust to it and hopefully start to use it to our advantage. Or we simply are going to be left in the dust in this aspect of talent acquisition

@HuskerSuperGenius

Nope I don’t think it’s silly....I think it’s just reality.

The ease of the transfer portal this year, and if they pass the no penalty clause for future years, it’s just going to totally remake the landscape.

Sure you want to try to develop and hold onto kids. A given.

All I’m saying is in the future this is just going to be harder and harder to do with the third string, younger, “depth players” and even some second stringers.

And we can either sit back and lament about it or we can face reality and learn how to use it to our favor.

Other schools have already started doing this. Look at Ohio State and the quarterback they have. He was not developed in house. Oklahoma has done it for YEARS. Rutgers completely rebuilt it’s team in ONE year and is having some limited success using it this year alone. Maryland got a five star quarterback out of Alabama. When Illinois beat us, the three skilled players that did almost all of the damage we’re all from the transfer portal. Wisconsin has for years worked the graduate Transfer, or Transfer portal for a needed hole to fill.

It’s only going to get easier for a kid to leave.

We either find measures to cope with it, adjust to it and hopefully start to use it to our advantage. Or we simply are going to be left in the dust in this aspect of talent acquisition
Yes you may find a single example of a player who fits a system (Justin Fields). But you note that winning teams are not taking multiple players from the portal as you suggest, thats my point.

@HuskerSuperGenius

I think my point is that it’s going to change from a single player that fits a system to multiple players that fit a system. It’s just going to grow and become more common place.

And we need to be able to adjust to that to our advantage.

heck just the idea of getting rid of a coach who is solidly bringing in talent every year will cause athletic directors to think twice.

Because once a new coach comes in, with the ease of the transfer portal, it is very likely that 1/2 to 3/4 of the team existing team will transfer out. Which is exactly what happened with Scott Frost.

Causing an extensive use of bringing in transfers immediately a la Rutgers, or a complete rebuilding process. or both...Which takes time and patience.

Both things fans do not like.

Believe me, I am not advocating the system as an ideal way of doing business. I’m just saying it’s here and it’s only going to become more common place and it definitely is going to affect us in the future. Heck it’s already has affected us.....Look at the Florida kids who jumped ship so quickly because it was just absolutely easy to do.

We need to institute methods to try to retain kids and prevent that as well as methods to quickly bring in good talent that will fill a hole.

I think midwesterners and especially Nebraskans with Midwestern values have a real hard time with the concept of what I described was happening in high school sports.

But we better adjust fast!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back