• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Play calling and half time adjustments

Is that all it takes to pull off adjustments, experience and athletes. It also takes motivation, faith in the system, and willingness. Something that has also been well documented as not being there. Now the players have faith and things seem to be working.

I don't pretend to know what the real answer is. I am simply pointing out that some posters do claim to know and its all the coaches fault. The game this week is going to be tough. Minnesota has again scheduled a bye week before us. We just got done with a very physical Michigan team and lost 1 of our best OL players. On Sunday, there is the risk that a lot of people will be willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Its all that too.
Confidence isnt created through not caring or not knowing.
The players had to invest time learning the systems and are just now creating their own standards.
The younger players see these standards, see the time put in.
Its a self cleaning process in keeping prima donnas out, and removes the I from team.
Our previous staffs and early on this staff tried working around that, but this staff learned what must come first

Last edited:
Is that all it takes to pull off adjustments, experience and athletes. It also takes motivation, faith in the system, and willingness. Something that has also been well documented as not being there. Now the players have faith and things seem to be working.

I don't pretend to know what the real answer is. I am simply pointing out that some posters do claim to know and its all the coaches fault. The game this week is going to be tough. Minnesota has again scheduled a bye week before us. We just got done with a very physical Michigan team and lost 1 of our best OL players. On Sunday, there is the risk that a lot of people will be willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Minny in part is a shell of itself.
Their lines are still solid but the LBs arent quite as good, the D backfield doesnt have exceptional payer(s) here r there, the RB position is depleted as is their characteristic WR depth.

We are better to the man, we flip the outcome

It's another game we should win and anything less will not be acceptable to most fans. Certainly won't be acceptable to our coaches and players. If we're bowling it's a must have game imo. Heck we're even favored at their house!

I don't disagree. The problem is that someone cannot simply say "we lose the third quarter, therefor our staff is getting out coached and not making adjustments". We need to discuss the specific adjustments made by both sides. In the past 3 years, it has seemed like the other teams have made adjustments to our personnel instead of real schematic or playcalling adjustments. On the same note, how about the fact that we win the 4th quarter so often? Does this mean we really are making proper adjustements later, or countering those adjustments? Maybe.

Lets look at Kirk Ferentz. He has lost to 2 D2 teams. As recently as 2014 he had fans that I know, who wanted him fired. Now he has the number 2 team in the country. Is he all of a sudden a better coach? I am sure a coach can adapt and learn things. I guess what I am getting at is in 4 years we have seen our team tackle and block better. We have not shown the improvement in the wins column that we wanted, but we have to look at the big picture. We have certainly gone to a more run heavy scheme, while getting bigger and stronger. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ninety percent of coaches fail. Scott will succeed if we give him time. Just look at what he has done with the culture around here. We now expect to win. I am no longer afraid to watch us in primetime at the risk of being blown out.

Here is Ferentz's record through 2012. You can clearly see 2 times where (if he were at Nebraska), he should have been fired.
1999Iowa1–100–811th
2000Iowa3–93–58th
2001Iowa7–54–4T–4thW Alamo
2002Iowa11–28–0T–1stL Orange88
2003Iowa10–35–3T–4thW Outback88
2004Iowa10–27–1T–1stW Capital One88
2005Iowa7–55–3T–3rdL Outback
2006Iowa6–72–6T–8thL Alamo
2007Iowa6–64–4T–5th
2008Iowa9–45–3T–4thW Outback2020
2009Iowa11–26–2T–2ndW Orange77
2010Iowa8–54–4T–4thW Insight
2011Iowa7–64–44th (Legends)L Insight
2012Iowa4–82–6T–5th (Legends)
I agree to you're saying you don't disagree. :)

But please don't misunderstand me. I'm not calling for Frost to be fired now and haven't previously, but if the team was still playing at the level they did in the Illinois game and the team was heading to a losing record, he either would have been fired at the end of the year or been on a scorching hot seat next year. So things like losing the adjustments game would have been highly relevant.

And anyway, Ferentz's records you quote above show his teams had 2 losing seasons to start then 7-5, then 10 wins in year 4. And a losing season or 2 later on is a lot easier to take after he's booked numerous very good years. That's not exactly what Frost has done so far.

But regardless, my intent wasn't to criticise Frost but to point out that adjustments looks to me like one of several data points that suggest the coaches' performance is improving this year, beyond the obvious one that we are now battling very strong teams toe to toe.

I'm hoping and expecting we'll finish this year strong and have an even better year next year, at least in terms of record. And if Frost can get us up to 9 win seasons or better a few times here soon, he can stay even with the occasional down year like Ferentz and I will be delighted to have him.

Last edited:

Definitely a different team after halftime. I don’t think that can be argued. Although, would have been nice had they scored on drive #1. It could have redirected how that first half ended up going, FG or TD.
29 points in the second half is excellent. 0 points in the first half is pretty bad though.

One of the problems in previous seasons was halftime adjustments. Those are clearly better this season. In six of our seven games though, we have gotten off to very slow starts on offense. Outside of NW, I think we have 10 first quarter points in six games. So now the problem is more how we start games instead of how we play after halftime.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back