• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Play calling and half time adjustments

Warzone

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
Sometimes as armchair QBs we act like we know the solution. I have seen on this board many times that our staff does not make good half time adjustments and gets out coached. Also Scott needs to hand off play calling because he sucks at it. I rewatched Michigan, and whatever we did or called in the second half was near perfection. Give credit where credit is due.

I have twice asked posters on this forum to explain what second half adjustments were made after they made claims that the other team made ground breaking adjustments. Not one person took me up on this. Make no mistake, against Michigan, our adjustments and play calling was implacable.

Sometimes as armchair QBs we act like we know the solution. I have seen on this board many times that our staff does not make good half time adjustments and gets out coached. Also Scott needs to hand off play calling because he sucks at it. I rewatched Michigan, and whatever we did or called in the second half was near perfection. Give credit where credit is due.

I have twice asked posters on this forum to explain what second half adjustments were made after they made claims that the other team made ground breaking adjustments. Not one person took me up on this. Make no mistake, against Michigan, our adjustments and play calling was implacable.
I've seen tremendous improvement this season in this area.

Definitely a different team after halftime. I don’t think that can be argued. Although, would have been nice had they scored on drive #1. It could have redirected how that first half ended up going, FG or TD.

There have been plenty of times in the past when a good play was called, and you could see the opportunity was there, but the team failed to execute adequately. Short drive then punt. Hard for half-time adjustments to matter if the team can't execute. I think the level of execution is simply a lot better this year. The commitment of the receiver corps to blocking is a lot more evident. The tenacity of the offensive line is a lot better, and personnel changes are not trivial in that category.

GREAT post. I always ask people. How do you know that? when they make outlandish claims about the staff. The answer normally is. "It is obvious." Especially on things like how Scott handles discipline. None of them are at practice but they know it isn't happening.
There have been plenty of times in the past when a good play was called, and you could see the opportunity was there, but the team failed to execute adequately. Short drive then punt. Hard for half-time adjustments to matter if the team can't execute. I think the level of execution is simply a lot better this year. The commitment of the receiver corps to blocking is a lot more evident. The tenacity of the offensive line is a lot better, and personnel changes are not trivial in that category.
This...totally this. I even remember perfect play calls where 2AM throws a perfect pass. The WR drops it and it is terrible play calling. It is hilarious.

GREAT post. I always ask people. How do you know that? when they make outlandish claims about the staff. The answer normally is. "It is obvious." Especially on things like how Scott handles discipline. None of them are at practice but they know it isn't happening.

This...totally this. I even remember perfect play calls where 2AM throws a perfect pass. The WR drops it and it is terrible play calling. It is hilarious.
Not only that but that pass would easily have taken us into FG range. He would have picked up 20 or more on that play.

Those who have trashed this staff and given up will dig in their heels and complain that Frost didn't do enough to prevent an incomplete pass or a fumble. Weak sauce.

This staff is showing growth and resolve this year.

Too lazy to pull data, but it sure feels like we used to lose the 3rd quarter more often than not, which I took as a legit knock on the coaches. Last few games that seems to have shifted.

If anyone sees a rigorous analysis of that I would be intetested.

Too lazy to pull data, but it sure feels like we used to lose the 3rd quarter more often than not, which I took as a legit knock on the coaches. Last few games that seems to have shifted.

If anyone sees a rigorous analysis of that I would be intetested.
I don't disagree. The problem is that someone cannot simply say "we lose the third quarter, therefor our staff is getting out coached and not making adjustments". We need to discuss the specific adjustments made by both sides. In the past 3 years, it has seemed like the other teams have made adjustments to our personnel instead of real schematic or playcalling adjustments. On the same note, how about the fact that we win the 4th quarter so often? Does this mean we really are making proper adjustements later, or countering those adjustments? Maybe.

Lets look at Kirk Ferentz. He has lost to 2 D2 teams. As recently as 2014 he had fans that I know, who wanted him fired. Now he has the number 2 team in the country. Is he all of a sudden a better coach? I am sure a coach can adapt and learn things. I guess what I am getting at is in 4 years we have seen our team tackle and block better. We have not shown the improvement in the wins column that we wanted, but we have to look at the big picture. We have certainly gone to a more run heavy scheme, while getting bigger and stronger. Lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater. Ninety percent of coaches fail. Scott will succeed if we give him time. Just look at what he has done with the culture around here. We now expect to win. I am no longer afraid to watch us in primetime at the risk of being blown out.

Here is Ferentz's record through 2012. You can clearly see 2 times where (if he were at Nebraska), he should have been fired.
1999Iowa1–100–811th
2000Iowa3–93–58th
2001Iowa7–54–4T–4thW Alamo
2002Iowa11–28–0T–1stL Orange88
2003Iowa10–35–3T–4thW Outback88
2004Iowa10–27–1T–1stW Capital One88
2005Iowa7–55–3T–3rdL Outback
2006Iowa6–72–6T–8thL Alamo
2007Iowa6–64–4T–5th
2008Iowa9–45–3T–4thW Outback2020
2009Iowa11–26–2T–2ndW Orange77
2010Iowa8–54–4T–4thW Insight
2011Iowa7–64–44th (Legends)L Insight
2012Iowa4–82–6T–5th (Legends)

Any game plan has to be executed well by the players.
We are seeing comments from the players about coming into halftime confident.
Having some success and knowing what that is, even down 13 to zip and maintaining confidence is crucial, as the players know whats going on, can see how adjustments would help before called, and once called even greater success second half.
Our systems are being learned, understood at a higher level, anticipated/executed at a higher level.
In the past, we didnt have that experience and or the athletes to pull it off.
Coaching indeed.

Any game plan has to be executed well by the players.
We are seeing comments from the players about coming into halftime confident.
Having some success and knowing what that is, even down 13 to zip and maintaining confidence is crucial, as the players know whats going on, can see how adjustments would help before called, and once called even greater success second half.
Our systems are being learned, understood at a higher level, anticipated/executed at a higher level.
In the past, we didnt have that experience and or the athletes to pull it off.
Coaching indeed.
Is that all it takes to pull off adjustments, experience and athletes. It also takes motivation, faith in the system, and willingness. Something that has also been well documented as not being there. Now the players have faith and things seem to be working.

I don't pretend to know what the real answer is. I am simply pointing out that some posters do claim to know and its all the coaches fault. The game this week is going to be tough. Minnesota has again scheduled a bye week before us. We just got done with a very physical Michigan team and lost 1 of our best OL players. On Sunday, there is the risk that a lot of people will be willing to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back