• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Play calling alternatives

EastOfEden

Junior Varsity
15 Year Member
Do the Huskers have a back up play caller? I've always wondered how head coaches can call plays and do the other things on game day that head coaches should do.I also have often wondered whether it would be useful to have someone else call plays for one quarter in a game to eliminate tendencies that develop in most play callers.. since no one does it, I suspect it's a bad idea.

But I do remember that the NY Giants had a lot of success in the NFL when they had Y.A. Tittle play the last three quarter after having Charlie Connerly play the first quarter. And the QBs called a lot of their own plays in those days.

I remember when Beck was at Ohio State he said sometimes Urban would let him call some plays and sometimes the OC would call some plays like you said to eliminate tendencies.

Do the Huskers have a back up play caller? I've always wondered how head coaches can call plays and do the other things on game day that head coaches should do.I also have often wondered whether it would be useful to have someone else call plays for one quarter in a game to eliminate tendencies that develop in most play callers.. since no one does it, I suspect it's a bad idea.

But I do remember that the NY Giants had a lot of success in the NFL when they had Y.A. Tittle play the last three quarter after having Charlie Connerly play the first quarter. And the QBs called a lot of their own plays in those days.

This got covered in depth in this thread:

I hadn't read your question when I posted this, but I went into some depth with it here:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back