• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

PJ to Tennessee??

Funny how that cancel culture that torpedoed Schiano has faded....he'd probably sail right in now without a peep from the screamers and would have been a great coach at TN.
He’s obviously a pretty good coach, less the Bucs, but that’s different. In college, he’s pretty solid. He’ll get Rutgers competitive. Certainly better than what Tennessee wound up with in Pruitt.

The image of Flucker in a boat with teal shorts and a pink/teal shirt on is counter-predictive to him in a zip up polo with a scowl on his face! He didn't even have a smile on his face when he was guiding the boat! Perhaps he had a, "recruiter whisperer" tell him that AD was gone! Hope so!

Last edited:
That’s what they say, yes. Schiano, however, had zero part in all that. Tennessee fans probably wished they’d have kept their mouths shut. They wouldn’t be in this mess, and would have a pretty damn good coach.

and Vol fans still stand behind that as the reason. Really stupid IMO. I think Schiano would have been really good there. Tenn let social media and Clay Travis pull the strings and that’s never a good thing. Yet a lot of Vol Fans want Freeze which makes zero sense. Bring in a guy who got in trouble for what Pruitt got in trouble for.

and Vol fans still stand behind that as the reason. Really stupid IMO. I think Schiano would have been really good there. Tenn let social media and Clay Travis pull the strings and that’s never a good thing. Yet a lot of Vol Fans want Freeze which makes zero sense. Bring in a guy who got in trouble for what Pruitt got in trouble for.
Would be pretty risky indeed. But you know what, the way college football is now, f it, do what you got to do. Freeze would win there if they left him alone. Depends if they wanna risk their soul or not. Roll the dice and see. Never know.

Tennessee is another once proud program that can not compete any longer because of the restrictions on number of scholarships. If you want to see someone get good other than Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, LSU, and Florida...you need to demand more scholarships. Otherwise, things will stay that same...Huskers and Vols, in the toilet for good.

So has beens can lobby for more scholarships to even the odds with the current elites?
If they don't, they never get out of the toilet. Walk on's won'y make up the difference...we need more scholly players, a lot more, probably at least 110 scholarship guys. Five years of that, and things will be back to normal ( 1962-1997) assuming our coach isn't bad.

Last edited:
Funny how that cancel culture that torpedoed Schiano has faded....he'd probably sail right in now without a peep from the screamers and would have been a great coach at TN.

It seems like coaches with a questionable past need a few laundry cycles at lower programs, and then they are considered clean. The Maytag coaching hall of fame.

Wow. I knew it wouldn't be Fleck. But I hadn't read any Heupel rumors.

Or UCF could reach out to Frost to see if he'd like to return. ;)

As predictable as snow in Nebraska in January, you knew this (Frost going back to UCF) would get some play on this board the second Heupel was announced. ;)

Last edited:
Fleck certainly was gaining traction in Tennessee over the weekend but as quick as it did it died off. I swung and missed on that one but the word around here is that he was the guy White wanted and the TN fans I know were ok with it. Now that Heupel is picking up steam there is a bit of same or same ole in VOL land. Since Fulmer was fired they have bungled most of the coaching searches and have had to settle on guys. The closest they got to their first choice was Kiffen but it's been way downhill since.
Kiffen-majority wanted Gruden (his wife was a TN cheerleader). They swung and missed a got Kiffen. Most ended up very excited about him until he bolted after one season.
Dooley-No one was excited about this hire. Most thought he was the 5th or so candidate down on the list.
Botch Jones as he was called-a bit more excitement than Dooley but not much. Vols get there third choice.
Pruitt-no excitement from the get go. Was way down the list.
Rumored candidates that are alleged to have turned them down: Gruden (nearly ever search), Mike Leach, Gundy, Frost, Kiffen again, etc.

Their recent history nearly mirrors ours and they have had similar failures in finding coaching success after local legends. Bo Pelini accomplished much more than anyone that TN has hired since Fulmer.

Last edited:

Obviously TN plays in a tough conference (admit it or not) so it's going to be fascinating to see how much progress and how long to get it with JH at the controls.

Welp, my Huskers and now my family's Vols are truly in parallel universes w/ former UCF Coaches.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back