• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pizza recipes?

Nishioka

Junior Varsity
5 Year Member
Anyone have any killer pizza dough/sauce recipes worth trying?

This is what I use now for dough:
1lb wheat flour
1 packet yeast
about 16oz warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp honey

Put the flour onto on a big work surface (I use this 16"x20" glass cutting board I got at Bed Bath & Beyond for $10 - kitchen counter in this apartment isn't nearly big enough for activities like this) and gradually spread it out, making a well in the middle just big enough to hold about 10oz of the water. Drop the yeast into the water along with the sugar, stir with your fingers for a moment.

Should look like this:
photo.JPG

Wait about 10 minutes for the yeast to proof. Add the olive oil and honey to the liquid, stir a bit, then start gradually working more of the flour into the liquid. Don't go crazy here, you don't want the water to leak through and cause a mess. Gradually add the remaining 6oz of water as you go, as wheat flour likes to suck up more water than regular all-purpose flour does. Eventually the whole mess will thicken up to where you can bring the whole pile together without worrying about water getting away. Knead the dough for about 10 minutes. Put the dough into a bowl, cover it with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge to rise for at least an hour. Make sure you use a bowl that's much larger than the lump of dough itself is.

Using a basic all-purpose sauce that I can make a bunch of and use in different stuff throughout the week. Good in spaghetti, lasagna, pizza, chicken parmesan, whatever else you can use it in.
2 28oz cans of crushed tomatoes (I use the low/no sodium variety)
2 small white onions
4 garlic cloves
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp oregano

Chop the onions and garlic up real good, sauté with olive oil in the bottom of a pot until the onions start to turn translucent. Then add your two cans of tomato, and the basil and oregano. Stir and cover, simmer on low heat for an hour. Refrigerate overnight before using. Yields about 8-10 cups of sauce.

Last edited:

Works pretty well... trying to watch my sodium intake, so that was a pretty easy place to cut. Harder to do that with the cheese though. :)

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back