• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pitcher Gerrit Cole

Hooked on Huskers

I'm old as a rock
15 Year Member
Working only one day out of five and long November thru March vacation earns $36M ($324M nine years contract). Outrageous. $Yankees$ ..... money talks.

Last edited:
How does one even stay motivated making that kind of bank after a few years? I guess that's what separates the great ones from the others....as a fan (as much of a fan of baseball as I can be...which isn't much) of the yanks I hope he brings it for 5 or 6 years.

40 hours a week ...... $50,000 yearly salary. Plus paid vacation, 4 weeks per year or less.

2 hours a week ..... $36,000,000 yearly salary. Paid vacation, 20 weeks. And free food/lodging (per diem)

Wages: $600,000 per hour ........ $36M divided by (2 hours x 30 weeks) = $600K o_O. Not bad !!!

And probably zero income tax (IRS loophole). Just like Trump.

Crazy.

Last edited:

A little depressing that the Yankees didn't make a go of it with young talent and see where it got them, but they have unlimited cash to spend and their fans weren't going to let them get away without a big ticket signing this year. Personally, I thought their biggest problem in the playoffs was that their offense didn't produce, but adding Cole takes some pressure off of them in other areas.

In any case, they've loved Cole since HS. Drafted him and couldn't sign him, wanted to trade for him with the Pirates and lost him to the Astros and finally got him now. Cole had a great year last year, but I don't know that the Yanks can replicate what the Astros do with their pitchers

Yankees better hope this works out and he doesn’t disappear after 3 years. He shouldn’t, he’s got great stuff, some people don’t age well though.

Rendon got paid, too. I’m going to miss that guy, completely different feeling from when Harper left.

Yankees better hope this works out and he doesn’t disappear after 3 years. He shouldn’t, he’s got great stuff, some people don’t age well though.

Rendon got paid, too. I’m going to miss that guy, completely different feeling from when Harper left.

They have unlimited money, really, but paying too much luxury tax will hurt anyone!

They already have that Stanton contract that was dead weight last year, and a bunch of the younger guys are going to look to get paid as they hit arbitration and FA

Why do people begrudge athletes/business people who have particular skill sets, that command that kind of salary?

It's what the market will bear.

good for the kid. I hope the Yankess tank, but I don't begrudge any CEO, or athlete getting what they can, while they can.

If you think he's AVOIDING taxes, you are wrong. Is he minimizing his tax burden, like we all do? Hell yes.

He’s one of the top 5 in the world in his profession

If you’re in the top 5 in the world in anything you’re gonna get paid

It just seems a shame, all that money, and there are still hundreds of thousands, if not more, barely able to eke by or barely surviving. There has to be a answer...........................but, alas, there is none. :(

Astros fan. Bye clean shaving cole. Astros have been accused of cheating, possibly but I'm still pumped for the season to start. Go stros. :Rockon::Popcorn:

It just seems a shame, all that money, and there are still hundreds of thousands, if not more, barely able to eke by or barely surviving. There has to be a answer...........................but, alas, there is none. :(

Yeah, I have a problem with these guys making a ton. Merchandise sales are a factor, too. You know how many New Yorkers are going to be wearing a Cole jersey in a year or two? But for me, I see minor league teams shutting down and minor league players barely making anything and think it’s a little sad.

Astros fan. Bye clean shaving cole. Astros have been accused of cheating, possibly but I'm still pumped for the season to start. Go stros. :Rockon::Popcorn:

I would have never guessed the Astros were doing that. That said, I specifically remember them bashing that year and it didn’t make sense the pitches they were sitting on. I just chalked it up to uncanny scouting at the time. Some of those sliders they were sitting on and pissing on elite pitchers is unicorn stuff though.

I don’t think it was any secret what the Astros were doing. The Nationals spent a lot of time and energy putting together complex interchangeable signals for the World Series. It’s funny that they rocked Strasburg that one inning, Menhart changed the code, and they were swinging from their shoes all of the sudden. Sitting on sliders while Strasburg put it by them like he was 22 again throwing 100 mph.

I never understand sports fans complaining about the salaries of athletes.

The money is there -- or else they wouldn't get paid. Would you prefer the billionaire owners just keep it in their pockets instead?

If you don't like athletes getting paid many millions of dollars, I hope you simply stop watching the games. Definitely don't attend a game. Don't buy the jerseys or hats. Don't go on sports websites, such as ESPN, CBS, BTN, MLB, NFL, etc. For that matter, ignore all sports past maybe the high school level. Otherwise, you are feeding the money machine.

Players make what the market commands. Supply and demand. It's basic economics. Sports being an entertainment industry, relies upon people being entertained in order to create revenue. Fans pay the salaries.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back