• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pessimistic or optimistic

what best fits your expectations every 10 years

• 1 division title, no conference title 3 bowl games

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 2 division titles, 1 conference title and no playoff, 5 bowl games

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2-3 division titles, 2 conference title and 1 playoff 7 bowl games

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • 5+ division titles, 3 conference titles and 2 playoff, 10 bowl games

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • pessimist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • optimist

Votes: 31 38.3%

• Total voters
division title 5+ out of 10.

conference title 1 or 2 out of 10 with playoff appearance.

bowl game 10 out of 10.

and all of that starting in 2021!!!!

Expectations for the program given the focus, resources, support etc. in this era of CFB should be 2 conference titles in 10 years.

Given what this staff exhibited the past 3 years I have become a pessimist vs. those expectations.

Though I have become pessimistic generally, everything is in place for this year to win at a higher level. Sipple thinks 9-10 wins is realistic. On paper he is right.

I guess I need a little bit of clarification. Is this the next 10 years or is this what I want or expect Nebraska to be able to do over a 10 year period?

Over the next 10 years I expect Nebraska to get back to its winning ways and win the division 3 maybe 4 10x and go to a bowl game each year.

Once Nebraska is back to its winning ways I expect to win the division half of the time. So at least 5x over a decade and go to a bowl game each of the 10 years. Winning the conference and making a 4 team playoff are secondary to winning the division. That has to take place for the other things to happen.

For me it is unrealistic to think Nebraska can be any better than that all the time. I guess that makes me a pessimist in some fans eyes. I just want my team to be part of the game chatter again. The game and landscape of college football has change so much since 2000. I would love to see Nebraska in the mix all the time.. I would love to see them in the top 8 or so nationally every year. I just don't think that is going to happen. I still think it is possible to be a consistent 9-10 game winner each year, with that magical 11-12-13 win season thrown into the mix every few years. I just think being expecting a 1 or no loss team every year is asking a lot.
Pretty much where i'm at. We should be able to challenge for or win the division every other year IMO. If Northwestern can win 2 of the last 3 west titles, we certainly should be able to replicate that if not do better. I just want to play for conference championships on a consistent basis, but i'm not crazy enough to think we are going to start getting on Ohio State or even Penn State caliber of player levels. But as we saw in 2020, sometimes you catch people at the right time and you can beat them to get us a conference title or two over a 10 year span.

We haven't had a conference championship this century which is crazy to me. Win the division then hope a good gameplan is put together and executed for a conference title.

The expectation for Nebraska football, whether it is realistic or not, should always, ALWAYS be to win each and every game en route to a championship!

This is a blue blood program, people
Blue blood programs expect to compete for nothing less than championships on a yearly basis

Although I certainly understand it, it distresses me to no end when I see and hear Husker fans not only tempering their expectations {sometimes to embarrassingly low levels}, but actually chastising those who steadfastly refuse to do likewise...

I truly believe that the day that Husker Nation, as a whole, stops expecting to annually compete for championships is the day that Nebraska football will turn permanently, and without hope of ever recovering, into Kansas football
20 years ago id have argued that NU was as good as any program ever has been. For a long time. A genuine blue blood. While blue blood may still be in NU’s dna, I’m not sure that it’s still a blue blood. Just as it takes decades to build it, decades of averageness takes its toll. All one has to do is look at Minnesota. Nebraska is closing fast on Minnesota status. Not good.

Pessimist.
  • Played in 4 conf championship games 20+ years.
  • Haven't sniffed a division title in what, 8 years?
  • Largely non-competitive against top conf teams.
  • No bowl game in 5 years.
  • Little reason to expect much to change in the short term.
Edit - I voted by bowl games; I think we'll make 5 bowls but I expect no conf title in the next 10 years.
As a 50+ year Husker fan I NEVER thought I would see a 5 year run without a bowl game.

As a 50+ year Husker fan I NEVER thought I would see a 5 year run without a bowl game.
I'm right there with you. It's especially embarrassing when the number of bowl games has grown exponentially. And it would be 6 years if we hadn't gotten a waiver in 2015.

I'm not all that interested in putting specific numbers on it. I just want a good team the majority of the time again.

20 years ago id have argued that NU was as good as any program ever has been. For a long time. A genuine blue blood. While blue blood may still be in NU’s dna, I’m not sure that it’s still a blue blood. Just as it takes decades to build it, decades of averageness takes its toll. All one has to do is look at Minnesota. Nebraska is closing fast on Minnesota status. Not good.
I disagree
Once a blue blood, always a blue blood!

Undoubtedly, Minnesota was a powerhouse program in the pre-modern era, but I don't think the Gophers have ever been considered a blue blood program

Was the term, as applied to college football, even in use prior to WWII?

No, I think it's only from the vantage point of 100+ years of college football having been played that we can accurately assess what does and does not constitute a blue blood program

As far as I'm concerned there are, only ever have been, and only ever will be 9 blue bloods

These are the 9 winningest programs, by percentage, in the history of college football
These are the top 9 teams on the list of most wins in college football history
These programs account for 54 of the 96 AP, Coach's Poll, BCS, and/or CFP national titles thus far awarded

College football's blue blood programs are, in no particular order:

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Alabama
Penn St
Ohio St
Michigan
Notre Dame
and
Southern Cal

Should there be a 10th blue blood program it would have to be Tennessee

They are the 10th winningest program of all time
rank #10 in terms of most all time wins
and have won 2 AP/Coach's Poll/BCS/CFP national championships

Even still, I've never really thought of the Volunteers as a blue blood...

Nebraska has slipped
There is no denying that

As recently as the Solich era we had ranked as high as 4th winningest program of all time

Since then, we have been jumped by Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St, USC, and Penn St
Currently, we are sitting at #9

As you say, "not good", but we remain college football royalty nonetheless

I disagree
Once a blue blood, always a blue blood!

Undoubtedly, Minnesota was a powerhouse program in the pre-modern era, but I don't think the Gophers have ever been considered a blue blood program

Was the term, as applied to college football, even in use prior to WWII?

No, I think it's only from the vantage point of 100+ years of college football having been played that we can accurately assess what does and does not constitute a blue blood program

As far as I'm concerned there are, only ever have been, and only ever will be 9 blue bloods

These are the 9 winningest programs, by percentage, in the history of college football
These are the top 9 teams on the list of most wins in college football history
These programs account for 54 of the 96 AP, Coach's Poll, BCS, and/or CFP national titles thus far awarded

College football's blue blood programs are, in no particular order:

Nebraska
Oklahoma
Texas
Alabama
Penn St
Ohio St
Michigan
Notre Dame
and
Southern Cal

Should there be a 10th blue blood program it would have to be Tennessee

They are the 10th winningest program of all time
rank #10 in terms of most all time wins
and have won 2 AP/Coach's Poll/BCS/CFP national championships

Even still, I've never really thought of the Volunteers as a blue blood...

Nebraska has slipped
There is no denying that

As recently as the Solich era we had ranked as high as 4th winningest program of all time

Since then, we have been jumped by Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio St, USC, and Penn St
Currently, we are sitting at #9

As you say, "not good", but we remain college football royalty nonetheless
Every one of the Blue Blood programs have had some rough season( especially after coaching changes) but Nebraska firing two coaches after 9 win seasons has prolonged the drought. Stay healthy and RUN the football and the road back will begin.

I do not feel that I have wildly high expectations (though the last 20 years would disagree), but my expectations every ten years is that the program is consistently in the conference title hunt/discussion, periodically in the play-off hunt/discussion, and plays in ten bowl games (how are we not winning 6/7 games a year every year??). I do not necessarily have expectations for a set number of conference/national championships, too many things have to fall into the right place to win these, but we should at least be in the conference title discussion past September every year. Beyond, I have the expectation that we are consistently be in the Top-25 and in enough of the national discussion that our games get more preferred kick-off time slots with the highlights on more than just the B1G Wrap Up.

Every one of the Blue Blood programs have had some rough season( especially after coaching changes) but Nebraska firing two coaches after 9 win seasons has prolonged the drought. Stay healthy and RUN the football and the road back will begin.
This coming season will tell the tale, I should think...

If Frost is truly on board with being a bit more Nebraska and a little less Oregon then I believe we'll be on that road back!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Back