• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
So 'D' Zasker's thread got me thinking a bit....

I went and looked at Rivals and we were lower then I would have thought after our big weekend. So digging a little deeper, I looked at our commits. Let's just take Jason Hall and put things in perspective a bit....

We got his commit and people were pretty upset since "we beat out only North Texas, what are we doing". Now we may lose him since he has offers from Texas and Oklahoma and people are a little worried about it.

Just keep this in mind, he is our second lowest rated recruit, yet he is one of the most sought after by the highest ranked programs. If we can hang on to guys like this, as well as continue to identify them early and get commitments from more of them, our program will probably be ranked 50th on the first Wednesday of February, and I would have zero problem with that.

It's early and let's just take everything in stride...

Last edited:

I went and looked at Rivals and we were lower then I would have thought after our big weekend. So digging a little deeper, I looked at our commits. Let's just take Jason Hall and put things in perspective a bit....

We got his commit and people were pretty upset since "we beat out only North Texas, what are we doing". Now we may lose him since he has offers from Texas and Oklahoma and people are a little worried about it.

Just keep this in mind, he is our second lowest rated recruit, yet he is one of the most sought after by the highest ranked programs. If we can hang on to guys like this, as well as continue to identify them early and get commitments from more of them, our program will probably be ranked 50th on the first Wednesday of February, and I would have zero problem with that.

Nope this is the apocalypse, the end of the world as we know it. Fires raining down from the skies, rivers boiling, human sacrifices, dogs laying with cats...orrrr it's June 20th and a bit early to be losing it not sure which

Brown is also unrated on Rivals...not a big bounce as he is a kicker, but would give us additional "points". On Scout, 3 players are unrated (Stotlenberg, Mosley and Brown), although each has 2-stars....so, at this time we get only minimal "points" for them.

As far as individual player rankings, at this point, I would think that outside of the 5-star and high 4-star players, the rankings are somewhat "loose". In that I mean that players are ranked based on Soph and Junior years and what film might exist on them. Even if they started to come on late in their Jr year, they are probably still under-valued. I think that the individual rankings become more valid towards the end of the recruiting cycle.

For the Huskers, I feel that in past couple of years, the staff has shown that they do a pretty good job in evaluations, independent of the service's rankings. They have identified players that as the year went on, the rankings went higher.

Last edited:

We just had arguably the best recruiting week in Husker history......

PATIENCE folks.....our class is almost half full and signing day is 8 months away.....Good Golly Miss Molly...

Suspect Farmer, Darlington and Pierson-El will be 4-stars before its said and done for those that are star gazers...in the end who cares anyway?

Last edited:
The services have admitted they do not have the expertise to rate kickers...

The kicking guru's rate Drew Brown a 5-star....our own N2FL said he is the best kicker in the 2014 class....as Mr. Famer said who cares about the stars?

FWIW 247 has him ranked a 2-star....most kickers are 2-stars a select few become 3-stars...

Another real glitch in the recruiting services ranking system...

Brown is also unrated on Rivals...not a big bounce as he is a kicker, but would give us additional "points". On Scout, 3 players are unrated (Stotlenberg, Mosley and Brown), although each has 2-stars....so, at this time we get only minimal "points" for them.

As far as individual player rankings, at this point, I would think that outside of the 5-star and high 4-star players, the rankings are somewhat "loose". In that I mean that players are ranked based on Soph and Junior years and what film might exist on them. Even if they started to come on late in their Jr year, they are probably still under-valued. I think that the individual rankings become more valid towards the end of the recruiting cycle.

For the Huskers, I feel that in past couple of years, the staff has shown that they do a pretty good job in evaluations, independent of the service's rankings. They have identified players that as the year went on, the rankings went higher.

We just had arguably the best recruiting week in Husker history......

PATIENCE folks.....our class is almost half full and signing day is 8 months away.....Good Golly Miss Molly...

Suspect Farmer, Darlington and Pierson-El will be 4-stars before its said and done for those that are star gazers...in the end who cares anyway?
7 months.....if they can play who cares?

MY Perspective

I must admit I am a bit surprised to see Husker fans nitpicking their current recruiting class ranking on ESPN and Rivals. I don't see the point of even looking at rankings in June. Kids who are 'committed' to teams whose classes are allegedly ranked higher than Nebraska's will inevitably decommit and Nebraska fans should still have memories of 'commits' like Marcus McWilson, Dominic Walker, Jonathan Cook, Christian Lacouture and Dan Samuelson fresh in their minds.

My point is that Husker fans should feel very excited about the direction the recruiting has gone the past few classes, and is continuing to go. In less than a weeks time, Nebraska picked up commitments from their #1 QB target, #1 OL target, #1 slot-WR target, the #1 K in the '14 class, and IMPO a 4* talent in Tanner Farmer. What is there to be questioning?

Bo Pelini is starting to get the 'father figure' reputation in recruiting circles - and that is a great reputation to have, trust me. Coordinators Tim Beck and John Papuchis are in the elite category of recruiting and Beck in particular is gaining a reputation similar to guys like Gus Malzahn in terms of offensive creativity. Recruits want to play in an offense like Beck's. Terry Joseph is arguably the best recruiter on the staff and among the best in the conference, while guys like Rick Kaczenski and John Garrison are starting to make names for themselves on the recruiting front as well.

IMPO, since the 2011 class, Nebraska is second to none when it comes to QB, RB and LB recruiting. If I were a Husker fan, I would feel very confident that Pelini and staff will compile another Top 25-caliber class come February. And I'll tell you what, IMPO the 2015 class is shaping up to be spectacular. The Huskers are in early with some of the countries best juniors-to-be. TE Alize Jones, OG Martez Ivey, DE Adam McLean, LB Ricky DeBerry, RB Calvin Strong, DE Hale Hentges and CB Eric Lee currently have Nebraska on their short lists and are among the best at their positions for 2015. Since the Pelini-era, I cannot remember Nebraska being in on so many elite juniors this early in the process. If Nebraska can have a BCS Bowl-caliber season on the field come this fall, their efforts in finishing the 2014 and building their 2015 classes will reap the benefits.

+1.....

I must admit I am a bit surprised to see Husker fans nitpicking their current recruiting class ranking on ESPN and Rivals. I don't see the point of even looking at rankings in June. Kids who are 'committed' to teams whose classes are allegedly ranked higher than Nebraska's will inevitably decommit and Nebraska fans should still have memories of 'commits' like Marcus McWilson, Dominic Walker, Jonathan Cook, Christian Lacouture and Dan Samuelson fresh in their minds.

My point is that Husker fans should feel very excited about the direction the recruiting has gone the past few classes, and is continuing to go. In less than a weeks time, Nebraska picked up commitments from their #1 QB target, #1 OL target, #1 slot-WR target, the #1 K in the '14 class, and IMPO a 4* talent in Tanner Farmer. What is there to be questioning?

Bo Pelini is starting to get the 'father figure' reputation in recruiting circles - and that is a great reputation to have, trust me. Coordinators Tim Beck and John Papuchis are in the elite category of recruiting and Beck in particular is gaining a reputation similar to guys like Gus Malzahn in terms of offensive creativity. Recruits want to play in an offense like Beck's. Terry Joseph is arguably the best recruiter on the staff and among the best in the conference, while guys like Rick Kaczenski and John Garrison are starting to make names for themselves on the recruiting front as well.

IMPO, since the 2011 class, Nebraska is second to none when it comes to QB, RB and LB recruiting. If I were a Husker fan, I would feel very confident that Pelini and staff will compile another Top 25-caliber class come February. And I'll tell you what, IMPO the 2015 class is shaping up to be spectacular. The Huskers are in early with some of the countries best juniors-to-be. TE Alize Jones, OG Martez Ivey, DE Adam McLean, LB Ricky DeBerry, RB Calvin Strong, DE Hale Hentges and CB Eric Lee currently have Nebraska on their short lists and are among the best at their positions for 2015. Since the Pelini-era, I cannot remember Nebraska being in on so many elite juniors this early in the process. If Nebraska can have a BCS Bowl-caliber season on the field come this fall, their efforts in finishing the 2014 and building their 2015 classes will reap the benefits.

Thank you!

Using the recruiting services solely for evaluation at this point, is like trying to diagnose yourself on WebMD. You will literally make yourself crazy.

Anyone who self treats has a fool for a patient.

This is hands down the post of the year and should be required reading for any Husker fan....

+1By far the best and most encouraging article I've ever read on here. Thanks N2FL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back