• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Personal observation on the UCONN win.

This is an interesting article from last year titled "Best College Representation in the NBA". I call your attention that KY is ranked 10th while UCONN is ranked 3rd meaning they have supplied BETTER IMPACT" players to the NBA then Kentucky. Rather interesting in that Duke is ranked #1 yet they keep more players longer then any major program!

Bottom line I'm not convinced that UK is that much or any better stocked with talent over the years then the top 10 power programs in college basketball. They haven't supplied better impact players then other major basketball powers. I believe this season was an anomaly with 5 great freshman but that's the first time any school played in the championship game with 5 starting freshman.

UCONN lost 3 underclassman to the NBA after winning it all in 2004. Had those players returned they would have been the odds on favorite to go back to back. Those player losses left in a decent but far from the championship team they had in 04. Over the years UK has really not supplied better quality players to the NBA then many of the top college programs………….

http://www.realclearsports.com/lists/colleges_nba_draft_talent/intro.html

which, of course, has nothing to do with what i posted.

The transfers that happen every year, simply don't. Kyle Wiltjer and Ryan Harrow transferred last year, Wiltjer due to lack of playing time as Randle was coming in and he was behind Poythress already and Harrow due to family issues to be closer to them as his dad was ill.
Randle I might buy, but you had a logjam at guard and few would argue this guy just hadn't quite gotten it done at that point in his career. Wiltjer was actually a very solid offensive player (averaging double figures) and would have been a great compliment to the type of young talent they were bringing in. He was averaging 24 mins a game and shooting about 42% from the 3 pt line. He started out saying he was staying, but when Cal started getting even more 'yeses' than I think even he thought he would, Wiltjer magically had a change of heart and transferred out. When you look at the kind of kid he was and his style, I don't think Cal saw him as being in the same league as the newbies and suggested he was going to see his time drop.

In May 2012, UK had a team GPA of 3.12...now, having watched the HBO program talking about class selection for major college athletes, I have to wonder if any program, UK, NU, ND..etc. doesn't have what they described happening; it is on this month's Real Sports...watch it. Also, this from CoachCal.com(http://www.coachcal.com/22175/2013/04/the-untold-story-at-kentucky/):

Of our 10 players who have been eligible to graduate by the end of their senior years, all 10 will have graduated after this weekend. For you math majors out there, that’s 100 percent. We’ve also had a 3.0 cumulative grade-point average over the last three years.

But please, none of us are there to see if ANY college athletes go to class, so it's hard to make statements that they don't.

There are a couple of glaring things you point out here that caught my attention. First is the GPA, and as you suggested, what classes being taken is going to have a pretty decided affect on that number, and if we take a look at the kids who are upperclassmen on the UK roster we 5 white guys who account for almost zero playing time, 2 of which graduated early, and 2 others on all academic lists. While talking to a buddy during the game when they showed a shot of the UK bench his comment was, 'must be the tutors', or something tasteless along those lines. When you have 5 guys popping out 4.0s it makes that curve a little more attractive. And that comment, 'Of our 10 players who have been eligible to graduate by the end of their senior years, all 10 will have graduated after this weekend'. That means guys who have actually stayed around, not been run off, or quit because of academic issues. It also includes guys like the 'no time on the court' walkons, who are included in that group of 10 players. Again, we can take 5 or 6 kids with pretty good grades, sprinkle in some basket weaving classes, and come up with a decent average gpa and graduation rate. I've always thought it would be interesting if people actually did a study on playing time vs. GPA.

The staff does not embrace tradition...really, tell that to the people in small towns that Coach Cal visits all season long...please look a little deeper, I think you will find there is more to Coach Cal and his program that what you read on all the hate sites. The Alumni games they have to raise money for charities, the players they invite back, the ENTIRE tradition they embrace, because JUST LIKE Nebraska, if you don't they will run you outta Lexington.

Make no doubt about their facilities are built to recruit, and to recruit the top level talent, and if you want to play at the next level, then you have a chance. But, look at Jon Hood, he was a 4 star, the #10 SF in the country, if you want to stay, you can, if it's all about you and playing time, then just like Nebraska football, you can transfer

Let's understand what we mean by tradition. I don't simply mean winning basketball games and slapping backs, I mean really getting into the feel of a university. Cal has never struck me as a guy who understands the south, the conservative south, that places like Lexington still embrace. Kentucky may not lead the country in educating brain surgeons, but like most high profile universities, it has an image of respectability in it's academics, and the embrace of the one and done philosophy in the program does not strike me as following the traditions of Rupp or Hall. I think you have to look at the coaches since Hall and feel a bit of panic in some of the hiring. Sutton came in and completely under performed and put the school on probation, so they pushed the panic button and pulled in someone as 'Un-Kentucky' as it gets in Pitino. He starts the ball rolling with the high profile recruits and fantastic results only to leave again for the NBA. After hiring Smith and Gillispie, neither were particularly popular with the fanbase, they again went after a guy who is considered by many in coaching circles as a guy who can bring in great talent and get them to coexist, but isn't a great X's and O's coach. Kentucky has facilities to recruit to, and it's not as if that's a violation, but if you look at how the basketball team lives and is treated, they are rockstars by comparison to the rest of the student body. It's a great setup to wow young kids who are looking for a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

As for someone like Hood, he was Kentucky's Mr. Basketball. He was the golden boy of the state, but as happens with kids all the time, his game didn't translate to what Cal plays. He wasn't athletic enough, he blew a knee which wasn't going to help him. And when the conversation came that he may transfer, he decided to stay and finish up at UK. Cal wasn't politically stupid enough to try to run off the local golden boy.

Like I said, I hate the one and done rule, i miss developing a fondness for the Kyle Macy's, Jim Master's, or Goose Given's of my old UK teams. But the rule is what it is and it has worked well for UK.

And seriously, as much as people will say they don't, if their team was in 4 Elite 8's, 2 Final Fours, 2 Championship games, and won 1 championship since the coach arrived, as long as no violations had been committed...hard to say you wouldn't be happy...especially if it was our beloved football team we were talking about winning that frequently.

But everywhere teams win, there are stories about how they do it wrong...even about our beloved Huskers of the 1990's

All that said, grats to UCONN, I loved their energy, their story, their players, and their fans....wish my "Boys in blue" coulda won, but oh well

That attitude that 'if you had this much success you wouldn't complain about it', kind of goes along the lines of say an Urban Meyer, or Pete Carroll, or Jim Tressel, or Bob Stoops being the kind of guys we'd like to have coaching at Nebraska as long as they just brought us wins. Heck, we were suppose to be chatting with Steve Lavin several years ago about our basketball job and TO supposedly nixed it because of his questionable recruiting and graduation history. I don't think everyone is or should be comfortable with how a program is run simply because of wins. And considering the lack of control by the NCAA these days, I doubt they would do much if anything even if we find a lack of participation in the classrooms is a regular occurrence.

To me it's about their style. I'm not a fan. I was a fan of Georgetown back in the Ewing years, and then I talked to a guy who actually was in school at that time. He said they had an entirely different curriculum for the basketball team. Those guys rarely if ever were in regular Georgetown classes, which from what he described, are as challenging as any institution. He said what was popular with the students initially, became a point of resentment after a couple of years. I love the notion of guys still being student athletes. If the pros are in their future, great, but I still think we have too many kids getting fluffed by coaches, family and fans to the point they think they are a sure thing in the world of pro sports and that simply isn't the case. I think Cal sells the snake oil as well as anyone.

Last edited:
Watch the Real Sports on HBO that was recently on, I am not sure even classroom attendance would work since they seem to be funneled into classes where a good grade is automatic. Real Sports showed info about Oklahoma, and North Carolina. I simply think they need to go back to requiring a certain ACT or SAT score, and if kids do not want to go play in college they can try the NBA, whether D-League or NBA...but each sport has it's own way, there is no standard...I think a standard across all college sports would be the best start

I totally agree. I don't want kids making a farce of being in college. I understand, it's going to happen, coaches are going to bring in a kid who says he wants a degree, but isn't in the least interested in going to class to get it. But that needs to be the anomaly, the exception. When a school has only a very small percentage of it's freshman actually graduate, then it's an indication they probably aren't bringing in kids who actually have an interest in that.

Watched a video clip of Napier (I believe) being interviewed and calling out to the crowd to listen, then badmouthing the NCAA for "banning" him (and a few others last year)..... what a jerk. He and the others being "banned" was actually them being suspended for poor grades. Great student-athlete representatives for UConn. Class, or lack of.

And starving going to bed. I guess I'm confused as to how UCONN does their room and board. If they have a training table or student cafeteria, how exactly would he not have enough food to eat? I know it makes good headlines, but I guess I'd want to ask some additional questions if a kid made a statement like that. As for the 'banning', maybe if he'd gone to class he wouldn't have been 'banned'.

Yay, a fan! Good to see a well thought out reply.

Nah, I made a poorly thought out comment to cause p-ville's reply. My bad on that, not his. I misread web comments on the "banning" and thought it was suspensions.

My personal observation is that I would have loved to see UConn play ISU with Georges Niang in the lineup. while i can't say I'm necessarily glad they won it all, ISU's 5-pt loss w/o Niang showed that team definitely had a high ceiling going into the tournament...wasn't just hype.

congrats to UConn

Of course, UConn isn't necessarily the poster child for the right way to win a championship. Remember, they (men's team) were banned from the NCAA Tournament just last season by the NCAA for their low APR. Good to see them turn it around this season (hopefully that's not a concern again down the road). But a program should never put themselves into position of NCAA sanctions due to kids not getting decent grades in the classroom.

Regarding the celebration ... I wouldn't be shocked if UNL students did the same, given a reason to do so. I think it's more a reflection of society than any one particular group of fans.

No, they definitely had issues in the classroom, and keep in mind what a school has to do to be in a position for a post season banning. That's year 3 of being below 900. They needed some butts kicked in the classroom, but one thing I will say, those kids, even the ones struggling, did stick it out for the most part. That's my complaint with UK. They tend to run kids off who aren't either amazing on the court or excellent in the classroom. Look at the 5 guys they have sitting on the end of the bench. They hardly see a minute of court time, even when their team was blowing people out, but they were still a part of the team, and I contend it was simply to keep the APR at needed levels. They don't need many kids to graduate, because UK doesn't get nicked when all those kids leave early, going to class or not, but they still need the ones they have graduating.

No, they definitely had issues in the classroom, and keep in mind what a school has to do to be in a position for a post season banning. That's year 3 of being below 900. They needed some butts kicked in the classroom, but one thing I will say, those kids, even the ones struggling, did stick it out for the most part. That's my complaint with UK. They tend to run kids off who aren't either amazing on the court or excellent in the classroom. Look at the 5 guys they have sitting on the end of the bench. They hardly see a minute of court time, even when their team was blowing people out, but they were still a part of the team, and I contend it was simply to keep the APR at needed levels. They don't need many kids to graduate, because UK doesn't get nicked when all those kids leave early, going to class or not, but they still need the ones they have graduating.

One guy, Wiltjer, transferred...so that a tendency, c'mon dude, it's obvious you hate UK. I tried to tell you based on facts that Cal gets UK Tradition, not even sure what you were talking bout after you disagreed...wait, are you from Kentucky, I already know this answer; ever been to Rupp(I'm a UK FOOTBALL season ticket holder, yes a glutton for beatings), ever even been to Kentucky; trust me he gets the tradition, and that "conservative South" he doesn't get, um, yeah, I'm part of that Country Boy thru and thru, hard to tell someone who is a part of it he doesn't get it, cuz Tubby and FHCBCG, THEY never got it. Oh an those "white guys"(as you so eloquently put it in another post); if you look at their bench it was primarily made up of Marcus Lee(McDonalds AA) who played 36 of his WHOPPING 157 season minutes in the last 3 games, Jon Hood former Mr basketball from Kentucky and 4 star recruit, Domonique Hawkins 3 star late recruit last year who played 44 of his 283 minutes in the tournament; Jarrod Polson Sr. played 281 minutes, Derek Willis 4 star recruit, and 4other kids from NJ, Mass, and Cali in EJ Floreal, Brian Long, Tod Lanter(walkon, his dad played for UK) and Sam Malone . The deal is, EVERY school has those kids on the bench in some form or another, look at ANY team in the tournament.

Can't remember a prior year when I was rooting for both teams to lose. UConn's administration got the program banned because nobody cared if the basketball team was progressing academically, so they didn't. Given such a recent admonishment, it grated on my soul that they would win so soon thereafter. As to Kentucky and their turnstile operation, enuf said. Sad times!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back