• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Per SI, IHCMJ accepted the Interim title and stipend - with assurances...

Lol, for me? You brought up, not me. It isn’t my responsibility to prove your statement to be factual!
If I didn’t believe Austin was the capital of Texas when you said it, is it your problem or mine? I’m stating easily verifiable facts. I’m sure there are several people reading this thread who follow college football closely enough to remember these details. It was just a few months ago, the most recent off-season when Marcus Freeman was not initially a candidate and then the players lobbied hard for him.

I’m not sure what part of this is controversial or what you’re challenging, but if you think I’m making it up that’s not my problem. I’m done discussing it.

If this is accurate, and the new head coach has not already agreed, this is reason #2 to fire Trev. If the new coach has been identified, accepted with a handshake, and agreed to keeping MJ, fantastic.

I doubt this is true though. It can’t be true.
In the coach interview TA tells the prospect, yeah and you have to keep who we pick for you

Ahhhh big no

If I didn’t believe Austin was the capital of Texas when you said it, is it your problem or mine? I’m stating easily verifiable facts. I’m sure there are several people reading this thread who follow college football closely enough to remember these details. It was just a few months ago, the most recent off-season when Marcus Freeman was not initially a candidate and then the players lobbied hard for him.

I’m not sure what part of this is controversial or what you’re challenging, but if you think I’m making it up that’s not my problem. I’m done discussing it.

then prove it... You made the claim that this coach was forced to keep the former coordinators, I asked how you knew this because nothing I seen suggested he was forced to keep anyone.

Being forced and deciding to keep are two totally different things. This thread is about being forced to keep a coach the new coach didn't hire himself..

Sure, then you buy him out. I think all the new assistants will need buyouts as I understand they generally got 2 year contracts. It’s really not a big deal.

A new head coach who ‘hates’ Mickey or has a terrible personality conflict with him is raising some red flags. That doesn’t sound like a very diplomatic guy if he can’t work with a variety of personality types. Yes, the head coach ought to be able to hire the staff he wants, but it’s not unusual for an AD to encourage him to keep a coach or two, a coordinator. It was part of the deal for Notre Dame’s new coach, he had to keep his coordinator.

This was your comment, which is why I asked how you knew this. This wasn't a big deal, until you tried to put the responsibility of proof on me. That isn't how this works.

People are talking about this as if it wouldn't be a transparent part of the discussion with any coaching job interview.

"Tell me about what you envision for a staff." (coach gives some names of people he might go after, or that he has relationships with that he wants to hire.)
Coach says, "What kind of budget would you be providing for the assistant coaches' salary pool?" (AD answers.)
AD says, "It would be a good idea to fit Mickey on your staff. We've positioned him to continue with recruiting area players and the guys on the team are very loyal to him. He did a strong job as the interim in keeping the team together." etc.
Coach responds with his thoughts....etc.

A comfortable conversation about all this on the front end allows all parties to get on the same page without any incoming coach getting "forced" to do something he isn't totally comfortable with in assembling his staff. Almost this entire thread seems like unnecessary hand-wringing.
:Clap:

Meddling with the new coach is the offense. We have been down these roads with ADs meddling before.
No ... we've been down the road allowing coaches to hire substandard staffs WAY more than AD's meddling. You have one example of FADSE meddling with a coach who should have never been hired at NU. I have at least four examples of coaches being allowed to hire staffs that are completely unworthy!

The new coach coming to Nebraska will have a lot of leverage and will be able to hire as a staff just about anyone he wants but ... no coach should get a carte blanche free reign. The football program is too important and too big to allow anyone, including Nick Saban, to hire whomever he wants without some blessing by the AD.

I also strongly believe that ANY of the names we are talking about would and should be ecstatic to have MJ as an assistant on their staff!

Last edited:

@Huskerfan69 - you're spending more time arguing than you would have by just looking it up to prove it true or false. Please stop hijacking the thread.

Last edited:
Back to the topic, it has become abundantly clear to me from what others have stated, that this is basically a non-issue. There doesn't appear to be anything in this noise about IHCMJ being guaranteed a spot under any other possible future HC.

As several have stated, it just says he won't get canned automatically upon potential hiring of another HC candidate, that his contract reverts to where it was at the start of the season (hence, retained and not fired), where he will still get his buyout if a new HC doesn't subsequently also retain him for their staff.

Back to the topic, it has become abundantly clear to me from what others have stated, that this is basically a non-issue. There doesn't appear to be anything in this noise about IHCMJ being guaranteed a spot under any other possible future HC.

As several have stated, it just says he won't get canned automatically upon potential hiring of another HC candidate, that his contract reverts to where it was at the start of the season (hence, retained and not fired), where he will still get his buyout if a new HC doesn't subsequently also retain him for their staff.

200.gif

All he is assured is that he’ll get paid, whether or not the new coach retains him. Come on, guys.
This. not quite understanding how the language has confused so many people…
I read the clause as implying that the second a head coach is hired, this interim coaching contract becomes void, and the original contract he signed as a WR coach goes back into effect immediately. With all the original clauses applying. The clause in the interim contract has nothing to do with retaining or firing him.

@Huskerfan69 - you're spending more time arguing than you would have by just looking it up to prove it true or false. Please stop hijacking the thread.

I actually said I did look it up and found nothing to prove it true, so I was asking the original poster. The original poster decided to not prove his own comments.

I didn't bring up the topic of ND on that coach, the poster in question did, I was replying to his comments. Threads always discuss different topics, never stay on a specific topic. You know that!

but I will step out of this thread, don't want to get into trouble or anything....

I actually said I did look it up and found nothing to prove it true, so I was asking the original poster. The original poster decided to not prove his own comments.

I didn't bring up the topic of ND on that coach, the poster in question did, I was replying to his comments. Threads always discuss different topics, never stay on a specific topic. You know that!

but I will step out of this thread, don't want to get into trouble or anything....
Just seemed like you kept pushing it, keeping you both going in circles. Perhaps it was shared responsibility. Perspectives differ. No worries.

The assurances word is troublesome, especially if they are pitching that to recruits and the new coach says see ya to MJ. Anyone who came here on the assumption MJ was assured, would not look favorably upon the school for going out of their way to lie to them. This is a slightly different scenario to a coach getting fired and assistants leaving. That threat is always there. This is an assurance after that happened.
That's a reporters word. Most reporters aren't smart enough about business or management to have a clue about most of this stuff. They just aren't.

Almost certainly, the assurance was nothing more than the stipulation that Mickey goes back on his old contract if he doesn't become HC. Under his old contract they can buy him out. They still can.

Assume reporters don't know what they are talking about until proven otherwise.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back