• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Per SI, IHCMJ accepted the Interim title and stipend - with assurances...

Meddling with the new coach is the offense. We have been down these roads with ADs meddling before.
Right now MJ is the head coach. You need to incentivize him to stay and recruit and coach to the end, so MJ has some leverage in all this. A HC hired for next year can always choose not to retain him, it just costs the U a little bit. Also, for example, a talented local WR recruit (and others) might feel more comfortable committing with such an assurance.

Meddling with the new coach is the offense. We have been down these roads with ADs meddling before.
I agree that administration shouldn’t meddle with the new coach but just because it hasn’t worked previously doesn’t mean it never works. Alvarez was a famous meddler and Wiscy kept rolling. Moos keeps his hands completely out of it and Frost fails. It takes the right combination of Coach and AD, hope Trev makes a wise choice.

Would MJ hold the title of interim head coach, publicly state he wants to be hired on as the full time head coach, then be willing to go back to being a position coach or coordinator once someone else is hired for the job he currently is filling? Seems to me if MJ has even marginal success as interim HC that it would be best for him to move on if someone else is hired as HC.

:Sign2cents:

If / when a new HC is named, Mickey reverts back to his old position for contractual purposes and its termination clauses will be in effect if the next HC decides not to retain him.

Not difficult to understand. Trev is not guaranteeing Mickey to be retained by the next coach in any way, shape, or form.

I don’t see how you can guarantee this to MJ. Was Mickey going to turn down the extra money? The chance to build a resume for his next job or earn the Nebraska job? If he did turn down IHC, someone else would have taken it I would think. Heck Trev could coach the team if needed with the assistants.

I think a new HC could benefit by keeping Mickey and I see why this would help in recruiting, but I just don’t know how you can promise that and then go to a potential new coach and say you have to keep MJ when that person might not even know him.

If / when a new HC is named, Mickey reverts back to his old position for contractual purposes and its termination clauses will be in effect if the next HC decides not to retain him.

Not difficult to understand. Trev is not guaranteeing Mickey to be retained by the next coach in any way, shape, or form.
I didn’t think about that obvious thing. Good point. You can agree to it and the new head coach could still fire him, he would just get whatever the new terms are as might be negotiated.

If this is accurate, and the new head coach has not already agreed, this is reason #2 to fire Trev. If the new coach has been identified, accepted with a handshake, and agreed to keeping MJ, fantastic.

I doubt this is true though. It can’t be true.

Let the man do his job.

Go sharpen your axe.

Would MJ hold the title of interim head coach, publicly state he wants to be hired on as the full time head coach, then be willing to go back to being a position coach or coordinator once someone else is hired for the job he currently is filling? Seems to me if MJ has even marginal success as interim HC that it would be best for him to move on if someone else is hired as HC.

:Sign2cents:
I get what you're saying, it could make for an awkward fit but don't see it that way. I haven't seen him stumping or pushing for it the head job, just generic "what-else-am-I-suppose-to-say?" stuff.

I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a handshake deal made to this end when Mickey was initially hired.

... that he would be retained even if another HC was eventually hired.

BreakingNon-News.jpg

Last edited:

Sure, then you buy him out. I think all the new assistants will need buyouts as I understand they generally got 2 year contracts. It’s really not a big deal.

A new head coach who ‘hates’ Mickey or has a terrible personality conflict with him is raising some red flags. That doesn’t sound like a very diplomatic guy if he can’t work with a variety of personality types. Yes, the head coach ought to be able to hire the staff he wants, but it’s not unusual for an AD to encourage him to keep a coach or two, a coordinator. It was part of the deal for Notre Dame’s new coach, he had to keep his coordinator.
I agree it would be very difficult to turn down Mickey for several reasons. But from a coach's perspective, it's not always about hating the personality. They may have philosophical differences on how the team should be run or what is expected from a position group. The incoming coach may already have a very high level wide receivers coach that he would like to bring in. The coaching community is a small one and trust is a huge component and having somebody they're familiar with and that they've worked with in the past is oftentimes very important.

Again, I think any incoming coach would be crazy not to consider Mickey. But for the reasons I stated above, guaranteeing an existing coach a job could actually be a detriment and a red flag for an interested prospective coach.

One add on. I think there's a big difference between telling Mickey that you will do everything you can to convince a new coach to keep him on board versus guaranteeing that he will have a coaching position no matter what. If anything was said to Mickey, I would think it would be the former. If it's the latter, you risk running away some of your top coaching candidates because you know they will want full autonomy on selecting their staff

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back