• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penn State perspective on Hoiberg hire

who here knew that the University of Nebraska non varsity team made a run for national title last year?
I didn't. But I don't follow club sports at NU.

I do think Title IX is the major factor. Much more of a challenge to establish a hockey team at NU, where FB is the established giant, as opposed to the northern schools where kids grow up with hockey sticks in their hands. How likely do you think it is that Alabama gets a hockey team? About the same chances as NU.

I do think Title IX is the major factor. Much more of a challenge to establish a hockey team at NU, where FB is the established giant, as opposed to the northern schools where kids grow up with hockey sticks in their hands. How likely do you think it is that Alabama gets a hockey team? About the same chances as NU.
very true yet many schools in the south are not looking at Hockey. Same could be said about Ohio state where football is the giant but few years back added the Hockey team followed by Penn State and thus began the BIG 10 Conference. Being in the midwest NU could very easily compete with UND, Mn Wisconsin, and all others in recruiting. As far as having 2 teams in one state all anyone has to do is look to Mn where 5 teams are all very competitive

I know a pipe dream and hell. NU not getting a team may be best as it won’t make me feel guilty for never cheering em on

Go Sioux

I believe Alabama Huntsville already has a team. :) As for recruiting, junior hockey is the source of a very large percentage of college hockey players and there are 3 of those teams in Nebraska already. It wouldn't be a problem getting players to UNL for hockey, as UNO has a decent record of doing just that.

UND nets five to Eight million per year UM nets about 2 to 5 million. compared to football not even close. Build it they will come
Sure they do ... those two programs are the bluest of bluebloods in hockey. The UND arena is unbelievable. But the problem is the high overhead in fielding and maintaining a competitive hockey team.

But do your financial numbers include women's hockey as well? I gotta think that most women's programs lose money ... and you can't do men's without doing women's.

Sure they do ... those two programs are the bluest of bluebloods in hockey. The UND arena is unbelievable. But the problem is the high overhead in fielding and maintaining a competitive hockey team.

But do your financial numbers include women's hockey as well? I gotta think that most women's programs lose money ... and you can't do men's without doing women's.
I agree. I guess i would just like to see NU hockey UND is the mecca of Hockey. Everyone should see a game there

As far as having 2 teams in one state all anyone has to do is look to Mn where 5 teams are all very competitive
Minnesota also has some of the highest density of hockey players in the U.S. They can support 5 (and probably more) D1 hockey teams for the same reason that Texas has so many D1 football programs: plenty of bodies to play and plenty of fan interest to watch. If Grand Forks were located on the Montana border instead of the Minnesota border, how do you suppose that would affect UND's hockey program?

Minnesota also has some of the highest density of hockey players in the U.S. They can support 5 (and probably more) D1 hockey teams for the same reason that Texas has so many D1 football programs: plenty of bodies to play and plenty of fan interest to watch. If Grand Forks were located on the Montana border instead of the Minnesota border, how do you suppose that would affect UND's hockey program?
it wouldn’t. it’s on the Canadian border. If you’re from Mn you best not go to UND. Not saying some don’t. Yet you have Wisconsin, Mich, That also compeate for recruits

Have you ever been to the high school playoffs in Minnesota? I've been to Nebraska basketball and football playoff games, and the intensity in the crowd was nothing compared to the Hockey arena. I think it's got to be more like basketball in Indiana. Lots of fun.

Have you ever been to the high school playoffs in Minnesota? I've been to Nebraska basketball and football playoff games, and the intensity in the crowd was nothing compared to the Hockey arena. I think it's got to be more like basketball in Indiana. Lots of fun.
My sister-in-law is from Minnesota, and she grew up with a brother playing hockey in the Twin Cities area, so I've heard some awesome stories. I've personally never been to any athletic events in the state of Minnesota besides going to a Twins or Vikings game.

Great article
"Nebraska basketball made $19.3 million in gross revenue against $7.8 million in expenses in fiscal 2017-18, clearing a healthy $11.5M profit."

Plenty of income to pay the best, with plenty left over for whatever.
Individual sports’ revenue really isn’t a factor. You gotta make bank on the revenue sports to carry the non-revenue teams. What makes this hire a no-brainer financially is the B1G distribution.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back