• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penn State perspective on Hoiberg hire

Nice read and the author is pretty much correct. The money is available to spend on a coach, so when a perfect fit, which is what Hoiberg seems to be falls in your lap, spend the money.

He’s everything you want in a coach and a representative of a university – acutely knowledgeable at his craft yet well-rounded in a larger realm, intense but level-headed, a little buttoned-up of demeanor yet with a dry sense of humor.

Exactly what I thought after listening to the presser. Smart and able to communicate without condescending. Men's hoops promises to be exciting in the not-to-distant future.

A lot of interesting statements in that article. Here's a few I liked:

Unlike Mike Riley who was an immigrant from another region brought in by a remote, job-hopping AD, this is a coach who belongs in Lincoln.

Ain't that the truth.

Hoiberg was actually making a go of it with the Bulls – a .500 season and another that made the playoffs in 2016 and 2017 before his roster was first vaporized by front office mismanagement, then by injuries. He was fired in December.

Thank the stars for 'front office management'.

But I then told him I was contrasting his school’s attitude toward hoops with PSU’s:

“Hey, they’ve gotta make their decisions,” said Moos. “I’ve made mine.

“And when I decided to make a change, both in football and in men’s basketball, I got the pick of the litter.”

Ain't that the truth! :Corn2: :Cheer2:

Definitely a fun time to be a Husker fan. The article highlighted many of the frustrations I've felt with Husker hoops for a long time. I don't know if this will work but you can't say we aren't trying.

You gotta give Moos some credit. He's had some good fortune with ability to choose some incredible natural fits but he's a guy that understands where he is, which is a nice contrast to the last guy.

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the article...thanks for sharing.

There is so much room for revenue growth in men’s basketball even with selling out the new arena. If the basketball team can win some more games and make the NCAA tournament...plenty of new revenue can be generated with increased ticket prices. :thumbsup:

61jcTzqKtAL._SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoyed the article...thanks for sharing.

There is so much room for revenue growth in men’s basketball even with selling out the new arena. If the basketball team can win some more games and make the NCAA tournament...plenty of new revenue can be generated with increased ticket prices. :thumbsup:

61jcTzqKtAL._SX425_.jpg
Maybe... I kind of think the ticket prices are what drives how awesome PBA is. You aren't going to sell it out anymore than it already is, best you could hope for is to increase the value of the seats to get more people at every game (concessions) and a small increase in ticket revenue. I think the income is much closer to capped than you are stating. But there is still some room for growth.

I credit Moos for being aggressive and bullish on the future of Husker bball.

I also think NU has been a bit fortuitous in the timing and availability of Hoiberg. To have such a well respected bball mind available with the connections to NU that he has was certainly a factor. Think about this ... who would have choice #2 been and would that have moved the needle that we're seeing with Hoiberg?

The adage goes ... you make you're own luck but we should be happy that everything seemed to work out for the better!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back