• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Penalties

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Nebraska had 62 penalties in their first 6 games last season that’s over 10 a game for nearly 600 yards. Hopefully that number improves this season, they committed 10 penalties for 100 yards to Northwestern’s 1 for 5 yards which was the difference in winning and losing an overtime game.They were far more disciplined over the remainder of the season and the wins came.

Nebraska had 62 penalties in their first 6 games last season that’s over 10 a game for nearly 600 yards. Hopefully that number improves this season, they committed 10 penalties for 100 yards to Northwestern’s 1 for 5 yards which was the difference in winning and losing an overtime game.They were far more disciplined over the remainder of the season and the wins came.
I would expect that number to drop way down this year on the offense side. New offense, lots of motion etc.. you’ll see a jump in penalties. Year 2 and guys should have a much better awareness of what they’re doing. It’s the the holding and personal foul penalties that irk me, especially the unnecessary pf’s like when a guy comes in full steam and hits someone who’s already down.

I would expect that number to drop way down this year on the offense side. New offense, lots of motion etc.. you’ll see a jump in penalties. Year 2 and guys should have a much better awareness of what they’re doing. It’s the the holding and personal foul penalties that irk me, especially the unnecessary pf’s like when a guy comes in full steam and hits someone who’s already down.
Penalties stop drives on offense and keep drives alive for opposing offenses. Well coached teams don’t beat themselves and Nebraska in 2019 will be a well coached team.

Huskers major penalty was holding....HOLDING on to Riley too long
nqLx2eMSgVsre1SO9b.gif

While I was told to let UCF go, I still think we can take a look at what happened there:

Nebraska 2018 119th 7.9 PPG
UCF 2017 127th 8.4 PPG
UCF 2016 105th 7.2 PPG

Interestingly, penalties actually got worse year 2 in their undefeated year. Kind of crazy to look at. I think with the fast-paced offense we run, holding, false starts, illegal formations are going to happen 3 or 4 times a game.

What's interesting, is Central Florida in 2016 actually ran 76.2 plays per game, for 38th in the country. The year after when they went undefeated, they actually slowed down a bit and had 72.4 plays per game for 58th in the country.

Now, that's just stats in a vacuum. Could they have scored quicker? Defense was possibly worse and on the field longer? Lots of factors lead to less plays. But I thought with them getting "worse" in the penalties per game category that we would see an uptick in how fast they went since people were more familiar with the offense. That proved wrong on my end. I wonder what will happen with Nebraska 2019, Nebraska was 36th in the country last year with 75.3 plays per game. Will we dial it down a bit? Will we score easier to take it down? Or will we legitimately go faster and get closer to 80 plays per game?

Long story short, I think penalties are a part of how we play. This isn't line up in iFormation and not commit a holding penalty ever like the 90s. When players get tired, their fundamentals go to poop. I think that's what happens a bit to us.

I agree. If my memory is correct Switzer teams and 80/90s Miami teams were loaded with talent and they also led in the number of penalties.

People remember the often penalized mediocre NU o lines of the past decade or so and in that case it often was talent based but exacerbated by discipline.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back