• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pellet Grill Ribeye - Medium

AlaskaCorn

GBR
5 Year Member
Finally got one that's perfect (for me). I prefer medium steaks with a noticeable, but not burnt, crust. I like it cooked uniformly as well.

What worked for me here was:
- Thawing the ribeye to nearly room temp
- Preheating the pellet grill to 400F (Oak)
- Pat steak dry, then light coat of olive oil both sides
- Light coat (very light) salt pepper garlic rub
- Kosmo's Q "Cow Cover Hot" heavier coat... Weber's standard or your favorite steak rub will work
- Let it sit with that oil and rub a few minutes before throwing on the grill
- Cook until internal temp 138F for the level of doneness pictured below (I call this medium, in this case I cooked it 18 mins at 400 but times will vary - use a thermometer for best results)
- Let it rest 5-10 minutes before cutting into it
This steak I made today will beat most $100/plate steakhouse's products. Get a pellet grill and try it!!

633CB473-38C4-484C-81EB-DE5E7DC35BA7.jpeg

Finally got one that's perfect (for me). I prefer medium steaks with a noticeable, but not burnt, crust. I like it cooked uniformly as well.

What worked for me here was:
- Thawing the ribeye to nearly room temp
- Preheating the pellet grill to 400F (Oak)
- Pat steak dry, then light coat of olive oil both sides
- Light coat (very light) salt pepper garlic rub
- Kosmo's Q "Cow Cover Hot" heavier coat... Weber's standard or your favorite steak rub will work
- Let it sit with that oil and rub a few minutes before throwing on the grill
- Cook until internal temp 138F for the level of doneness pictured below (I call this medium, in this case I cooked it 18 mins at 400 but times will vary - use a thermometer for best results)
- Let it rest 5-10 minutes before cutting into it
This steak I made today will beat most $100/plate steakhouse's products. Get a pellet grill and try it!!

View attachment 66540
Looks killer good to me

It was beyond good... it was top steakhouse spectacular. Was just a grocery store ribeye, cut a little thin for my preference, yet still made great by the oak pellet smoke and light rub. I couldn't ever get steaks right until I began using a meat thermometer or temp probe like my grill has. I'm not one of those people who's good at guessing doneness - a lot of people are, though.

Thanks for the compliment and happy 4th.

What brand of pellet grill do you have?
Green Mountain Daniel Boone... retails $499 I picked it up this past winter for $470+tax. I haven't used the WiFi feature on it yet as I like to hang around the grill and watch it anyway. Damn I love thst piece of equipment, I need to pick up some pecan pellets for pork chops/Husker chops!!

I just got my first pellet grill as well (a Camp Chef). Guess I've got to play around with the type of pellets I put in it. Have done some ribs and a chicken in it so far. It gets the job done and is a lot less work than the home built smoker I've been using but I'm not getting the same smoke flavor. I read on a grilling forum somewhere that the brand of pellets makes a big difference.

I have Lumberjack pellets, they seem strong enough for steak (I don't want it TOO heavy on steak).

I've only used the grill 3 times. The big test, in my eyes, will be when I try pork chops or meatloaf. I want real heavy smoke on both of those items.

When I lived in Oklahoma last year I would walk around the park and pick up pecan branches and use them on ribs, chops, meatloaf with charcoal. I had to be careful not to use too much as the smoke was so dang strong. I wouldn't be surprised if the pellet grill doesn't put that quantity of smoke out, like you're saying. But I'll soon find out. I also read that brand of pellets matters, like charcoal - Royal Oak = 1,000x better than Kingsford, etc.

looks pretty good, i used to do ribeye caps on my timberline. was the best ever. very sad that costco doesnt make that cut anymore. the brand of pellets does matter significantly. some pellets are full of filler material and it doesn't ash out like more pure wood varieties. i use traeger pellets on the timberline and the davey crockett.

looks pretty good, i used to do ribeye caps on my timberline. was the best ever. very sad that costco doesnt make that cut anymore. the brand of pellets does matter significantly. some pellets are full of filler material and it doesn't ash out like more pure wood varieties. i use traeger pellets on the timberline and the davey crockett.
Do you have any tips for chicken on a pellet grill? It's indirect heat so I'm sure it won't be as crispy as over charcoal, but do you have a suggestion to achieve a crispier exterior?

Do you have any tips for chicken on a pellet grill? It's indirect heat so I'm sure it won't be as crispy as over charcoal, but do you have a suggestion to achieve a crispier exterior?
sorry i cant help there, ive never smoked chicken in any of my 3 smokers. Ive done turkey a few times. key to that is brining. i would imagine that it would be similar to chicken. place the rub under the skin, in addition to on top, so it imparts flavor into the meat your eating. i just resigned myself to pulling the skin off after smoking. one of my friends does beer can chicken all the time and loves it. im just more of a red meat smoker person.

Last edited:
sorry i cant help there, ive never smoked chicken in any of my 3 smokers. Ive done turkey a few times. key to that is brining. i would imagine that it would be similar to chicken. place the rub under the skin, in addition to on top, so it imparts flavor into the meat your eating. i just resigned myself to pulling the skin off after smoking. one of my friends does beer can chicken all the time and loves it. im just more of a red meat smoker person.
Thanks.

I usually take them off the smoker when near done then throw them on the gas grill with a little olive oil to crisp them up. I never use barbecue sauce but use holy voodoo from meat church and it is delicious.

I usually take them off the smoker when near done then throw them on the gas grill with a little olive oil to crisp them up. I never use barbecue sauce but use holy voodoo from meat church and it is delicious.
Good advice on the gas grill to finish. I've read that Meat Church is good, it's on my list to try a product or two from them.

I like to cook steaks pretty cold (right out of refrg) Season, Smoke on pellet grill (I have a Traegar) for 20-30 min. Remove from grill and crank up heat to 450. When hot put rub steaks with light coating of olive oil (I use spray) then steaks back on for 3 - 6 minutes per side. Let rest covered with aluminum foil for 5 - 10 minutes. Great results, imho, using this reverse sear technique.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back