• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Pelini interested in the Purdue job?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bo got some great players he never had a great class.

Show me where someone said he had a "great class"......the part of the article he pointed out simply said that he got better......which he did. He began getting the type of athletes that he needed to run the system that he wanted to run. Which was progress. Since everyone claim he was only able to be successful with BC's athletes...... I get that Bo didn't do everything that we as fans would like for him to do as the HC, but trying to make it seem like he was completely worthless in every area of coaching is delusional.

As I said, he was a good to great ball coach. He just struggled in other areas that come with his position which ultimately was the cause of him to be shown the door. But "his" athletes are the ones we are depending on at this current time to continue the win streak.

I agree that most of Purdue would be thrilled to get Pelini.

'Good ball coach' is subjective.

Pelini didn't lose more than 4 a year, but often times those 4 losses included humiliating blow-out defeats on the biggest stages of the year while at the helm of a college blue blood program with all the resources available to him that should keep that from occurring.

The first three years losses weren't so bad, but the last four years the losses became increasingly more lopsided, while finally having all of his own recruits. In my mind, good head coaches don't lose in that manner that year after year.

I'd say Pelini has a good football mind and can be a very good position coach or coordinator, but as a head coach he only was able to beat the lesser teams yet failed to get over the hump on the big stage.
In my mind his lack of in-game adjustments and his in-game meltdowns took their toll on the players and recruiting. He oftentimes seem overwhelmed.

Not bashing him, just stating what I saw over seven year with him at the helm here. I just don't consider him a good head coach, even without the tantrums.

I agree he can be a good ball coach, just not a good top D1 head coach.

Regardless of everything you stated, no "bad" coach is winning at least 9 games for 7 straight seasons.....regardless of how he lost the 4 games each season..........Bo was and is a good ball coach. His ability is what got him the job and also helped him to turn the program around after what was a HORRIBLE era.......we can whine all we want about the lopsided defeats, but fact is, those defeats only count as one defeat (at a time).

Every year we were always in the hunt to win at least the division and a few times the conference. Even with his worse group of talent on paper in 2012, he still have one of the best pass efficiency defenses in the nation.

And while we were upside too often, he did upset and/or win a couple games he should have also. Taking away the personal issues, Bo was a good ball coach. He did things the right way, was firm and straight up with his players, and did all he could to put them in the position to succeed on and off the field. Purdue and most other programs would love for a coach to come in and provide that for their program after firing a coach who could only win 3 conference games in I don't know how many years.

Last edited:
I agree that most of Purdue would be thrilled to get Pelini.

'Good ball coach' is subjective.

Pelini didn't lose more than 4 a year, but often times those 4 losses included humiliating blow-out defeats on the biggest stages of the year while at the helm of a college blue blood program with all the resources available to him that should keep that from occurring.

The first three years losses weren't so bad, but the last four years the losses became increasingly more lopsided, while finally having all of his own recruits. In my mind, good head coaches don't lose in that manner that year after year.

I'd say Pelini has a good football mind and can be a very good position coach or coordinator, but as a head coach he only was able to beat the lesser teams yet failed to get over the hump on the big stage.
In my mind his lack of in-game adjustments and his in-game meltdowns took their toll on the players and recruiting. He oftentimes seem overwhelmed.

Not bashing him, just stating what I saw over seven year with him at the helm here. I just don't consider him a good head coach, even without the tantrums.

I agree he can be a good ball coach, just not a good top D1 head coach.
I'm glad you said, in your mind, because its definitely all in your mind. Coaches that win 70% of their games playing in a P5 conference are good coaches, period.

He's discriminated against naturally because he weighs 550 lbs. Not many want a guy that out of shape leading its athletic program. Just the truth.

Rumor has it he walked into a Kansas City restaurant and asked the waitress the best way to get to 435 and she replied "you might want to start with the salad bar and the lite dressing."

Rumor has it he walked into a Kansas City restaurant and asked the waitress the best way to get to 435 and she replied "you might want to start with the salad bar and the lite dressing."
Yep. He has ate himself out of getting a HC gig again. Too bad. He was a pretty solid coach.

Pretty sure they will be... he wins everywhere he coaches at... Nebraska DC, Oklahoma DC, LSU DC, Nebraska HC, Youngstown HC.... go look up the records for all the teams when he was there... must be the luckiest guy in the world to land at such places who dont need him to win... :rolleyes:
The door was obviously kicked down and out of the crowd of P5 schools trying to persuade him to their side ... and which dream job school arose from the ashes???? - oh ... Youngstown State and that $215,000 contract. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The door was obviously kicked down and out of the crowd of P5 schools trying to persuade him to their side ... and which dream job school arose from the ashes???? - oh ... Youngstown State and that $215,000 contract. :rolleyes:

You forgot to mention the millions we are still paying him.

You forgot to mention the millions we are still paying him.
He knows where his next meal is coming from that's for sure....

Starting with May, NU will be paying Pelini monthly installments of $128,009 through February 2019, according to information provided to The World-Herald through an open-records request.

Nebraska was able to agree to final terms with Pelini after he recently signed his four-year contract with Youngstown State, which will pay him $213,894 annually. Pelini made $3,075,000 in his final year at Nebraska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back