• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Patrick Payton Decommits from NU

I get the replies......but it's December. The chances of us finding another player of his quality in 2 months is minimal. We might find a 4-star guy and win a shotgun wedding for his services, but the chances of it ending like we've seen from the Florida guys recently is pretty high. There is usually a reason 4-star guys are still looking at new schools they haven't listened to in the past.........in December.
Maybe Wynden Ho'ohuli? Like the Husker chances there.
Maybe Carnie flips to the other side?
They do have Kpai and Malcom as commits.

I get the replies......but it's December. The chances of us finding another player of his quality in 2 months is minimal. We might find a 4-star guy and win a shotgun wedding for his services, but the chances of it ending like we've seen from the Florida guys recently is pretty high. There is usually a reason 4-star guys are still looking at new schools they haven't listened to in the past.........in December.
He’s been a rumored decommit for months, so the window for finding a replacement isn’t 2 months, it’s likely been in place for several months. That isn’t to say it’s going to be easy, but I doubt this has them suddenly scrambling.

He’s been a rumored decommit for months, so the window for finding a replacement isn’t 2 months, it’s likely been in place for several months. That isn’t to say it’s going to be easy, but I doubt this has them suddenly scrambling.
That is fairly inaccurate all the way around. And I'll be honest with you, with the way certain individuals on HM seem to question anyone with good knowledge, apparently because it hurts their ego, it's not even worth explaining.

That is fairly inaccurate all the way around. And I'll be honest with you, with the way certain individuals on HM seem to question anyone with good knowledge, apparently because it hurts their ego, it's not even worth explaining.
He hasn’t been rumored to be a decommit? Maybe I’m thinking of another guy. Not questioning anything, just thought it was a general feeling he wasn’t going to stick.

He hasn’t been rumored to be a decommit? Maybe I’m thinking of another guy. Not questioning anything, just thought it was a general feeling he wasn’t going to stick.
Oh, that's true, but only because every Florida school is now making a legit run at him. In theory, every one of our recruits would generate the same interest if we are recruiting at the level we need to.

Now if someone would have thought that we had a back-up plan in the works........that's where they'd be surprised at the answer. Thus the December comment. We don't have anyone who plays the position like him in the mix. And finding one now? That just leads to the same character issues and flawed understanding of Lincoln, NE that led to 5 Florida kids leaving the program in under 2 years (or whatever the number is). It can't be done with any sustainable success.

who's next ... any other prospects / speculation? a JUCO? Transfer portal? ... perhaps an undiscovered diamond in the rough local kid lifting tractors & running down deer & chickens (Clark Kent type) :Biggrin:

on a related note - Is there a 2021 Recruiting Board thread?

Last edited:

Jeremy and others have been saying he’s a likely decommit for quite a while. I was expecting it. If we’re not surprised do we think the staff is surprised? Like others said, he’s not going to be easy to replace this class but I don’t think this was unexpected at all.

Jeremy and others have been saying he’s a likely decommit for quite a while. I was expecting it. If we’re not surprised do we think the staff is surprised? Like others said, he’s not going to be easy to replace this class but I don’t think this was unexpected at all.
See Post #21

He was the most likely commit to de-commit. This has been known for months. This is ZERO surprise to the staff. Does the staff have a contingency plan? I don't know, but I would think they do. We shall see.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back