• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Patrick Mahomes 10 Year 450 Million Dollar Extension

TFrazier

Meme or Gif…deal with it.
10 Year Member
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

The Patriots had a HUGE advantage with Tom Brady being married to one of the richest women in the world. He was always middle of the pack pay wise even though he deserved to be the highest paid player in the league. It let them sign offensive linemen who could protect him. When you are paying your quarterback about 25-30% of your cap space that leaves a lot less money for everyone else.

The Patriots had a HUGE advantage with Tom Brady being married to one of the richest women in the world. He was always middle of the pack pay wise even though he deserved to be the highest paid player in the league. It let them sign offensive linemen who could protect him. When you are paying your quarterback about 25-30% of your cap space that leaves a lot less money for everyone else.

My thoughts exactly.

You just locked up Mahomes, but at what cost to the health of the rest of the team?

Key points from the link:

1) $235M over 20 years ... roughly $12/year
2) Left $60 to $100M on the table ... that is $3 to $5M per year

That is roughly about 1 solid starter per season somewhere on the team.
Yes, he took hometown discounts, restructured contracts but he still took home $230M+ over his Patriots career.

NFL's paradigm is shifting ... I predict if they do not win a Super Bowl this coming season ... they will not win another Super Bowl during Mahomes tenure because they will not be able to afford to surround him with enough talent to win.

The Packers will likely be dumping arguably the best QB in the NFL right now in a year or so to play Jordan Love.

Peyton Manning is the last big money QB to win a SB and he did it on a discount from his days as a Colt!

Yes, he took hometown discounts, restructured contracts but he still took home $230M+ over his Patriots career.

NFL's paradigm is shifting ... I predict if they do not win a Super Bowl this coming season ... they will not win another Super Bowl during Mahomes tenure because they will not be able to afford to surround him with enough talent to win.

The Packers will likely be dumping arguably the best QB in the NFL right now in a year or so to play Jordan Love.

Peyton Manning is the last big money QB to win a SB and he did it on a discount from his days as a Colt!

Great points...

Let’s not forget that Tom Brady’s wife is a super model that made more per year than him. Gisele Bundchen’s net worth is estimated at 400 million dollars with a 40 million dollar annual income. It probably made it a little easier for Tom to take a “discount” for the team. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly.

You just locked up Mahomes, but at what cost to the health of the rest of the team?
If they do not repeat this season they win not win another Super Bowl during his tenure. Economics just do not allow to build a solid team around one player who make so much money.

If they do not repeat this season they win not win another Super Bowl during his tenure. Economics just do not allow to build a solid team around one player who make so much money.

I haven’t looked at the rest of their roster to be able to 100% agree on the timeframe, but if nothing else they just paid to proactively break up their own dynasty.

It also was a much different QB market during the vast majority of his career.

I haven’t looked at the rest of their roster to be able to 100% agree on the timeframe, but if nothing else they just paid to proactively break up their own dynasty.

The Chiefs are set for 2020 and 2021 with almost every top tier player on their roster under contract through both of those seasons The only true star not under contract through the 2021 season is Chris Jones. Kelce, Hill, Mathieu, Clark, Fisher are all under contract until at least two more seasons. They return something like 20 of 22 starters from last season. Hopefully the logistics of Mahomes' contract allows for the signing of Jones before the start of the season.

Believe me when I say this that this is nearly a 100% approval from the Chiefs fanbase. I don't think I've interacted with a single Chiefs fan that didn't want to give Mahomes' this type of a deal. He's already the best player in franchise history, and keeping him in KC for 12 more years is absolutely the right move.

The Chiefs are set for 2020 and 2021 with almost every top tier player on their roster under contract through both of those seasons The only true star not under contract through the 2021 season is Chris Jones. Kelce, Hill, Mathieu, Clark, Fisher are all under contract until at least two more seasons. They return something like 20 of 22 starters from last season. Hopefully the logistics of Mahomes' contract allows for the signing of Jones before the start of the season.

Believe me when I say this that this is nearly a 100% approval from the Chiefs fanbase. I don't think I've interacted with a single Chiefs fan that didn't want to give Mahomes' this type of a deal. He's already the best player in franchise history, and keeping him in KC for 12 more years is absolutely the right move.

That's why I didn't comment on the timeframe, but fan support for the signing aside, this will create issues (sounds like 2022 if you're review is correct).

I get it. The kid IS a great player at a position that makes a huge difference. It's a great PR move, but I do there is only a slight chance they're able to extend this success beyond 2022.

That's why I didn't comment on the timeframe, but fan support for the signing aside, this will create issues (sounds like 2022 if you're review is correct).

I get it. The kid IS a great player at a position that makes a huge difference. It's a great PR move, but I do there is only a slight chance they're able to extend this success beyond 2022.

2022 is definitely where things get a bit dicey, and a lot will depend on the cap hit each season from this contract.

Below is his contract, showing his cap hit each season. He counts 12.8mil this season (absolute steal), 22.8mil in 2021, 29.4mil in 2022(both very cap friendly for his level of play). The number balloons after that, though. Somewhere between 37-59mil through the rest of the contract. Maybe I'm naive, but my guess is there will be a rework of his contract before he's set to be a nearly 60mil cap hit in 2027.

Going forward, it's up to being great at the draft for KC, and finding steals in FA.

2022 is definitely where things get a bit dicey, and a lot will depend on the cap hit each season from this contract.

Below is his contract, showing his cap hit each season. He counts 12.8mil this season (absolute steal), 22.8mil in 2021, 29.4mil in 2022(both very cap friendly for his level of play). The number balloons after that, though. Somewhere between 37-59mil through the rest of the contract. Maybe I'm naive, but my guess is there will be a rework of his contract before he's set to be a nearly 60mil cap hit in 2027.

Going forward, it's up to being great at the draft for KC, and finding steals in FA.

The burn through 2022 on his contract is pretty user friendly.

It really depends on the reset. If he continues to stay healthy and they continue to win, it will be up to him and what he'll settle for. If he wants his money in 2023, it's going to get dicey in a big way.

When I see something like this contract wise, I think 'Royals Baseball'. They'll have to develop, consistently, players through the draft to replace the guys that get paid. New England was absolutely the model and seemed to always make the right draft and FA choices to fill in around an underpaid Brady. KC obviously has a group that knows how to evaluate and sign talent, but can they maintain that and replace it?

That's all in the future and today is a good day to be a Chiefs fan.

The burn through 2022 on his contract is pretty user friendly.

It really depends on the reset. If he continues to stay healthy and they continue to win, it will be up to him and what he'll settle for. If he wants his money in 2023, it's going to get dicey in a big way.

When I see something like this contract wise, I think 'Royals Baseball'. They'll have to develop, consistently, players through the draft to replace the guys that get paid. New England was absolutely the model and seemed to always make the right draft and FA choices to fill in around an underpaid Brady. KC obviously has a group that knows how to evaluate and sign talent, but can they maintain that and replace it?

That's all in the future and today is a good day to be a Chiefs fan.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that there is an out after the 5th season of the extension, so after the 2026 season. This would coincidence with the ballooning of his cap hit to nearly 60mil. If that's true, then I think a restructure is very likely in 2027. Long ways down the road for sure, but it's nice to have something sports related to be excited about for the time being.

I've seen some comments elsewhere that there is an out after the 5th season of the extension, so after the 2026 season. This would coincidence with the ballooning of his cap hit to nearly 60mil. If that's true, then I think a restructure is very likely in 2027. Long ways down the road for sure, but it's nice to have something sports related to be excited about for the time being.

I'll have to look at the contract.

What's the guarantee?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back