• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pastrami

goodnterribles

Optics and Kool Aid
10 Year Member
So I've been wanting to make pastrami the old school way, and I finally broke down and did it. Got a 5 lb brisket and cut it in half. Brined in the fridge for a week in pickling spice, curing salt, garlic, and brown sugar. Then soaked it in water overnight to desalinate a little bit, then rubbed a brown sugar, coriander, and black pepper rub and smoked it for 4 hours. Then back in the fridge overnight, and then steamed it for 4 hours and finally was able to eat it.

It came out really well, but I'm excited about the other half that is still in my fridge brining. Once it hits a month, I'll make it. I do now understand why many people don't do this anymore, because it is a LONG process.

Attachments

• Pastrami.jpg
    Pastrami.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 148
That looks really good!

Yeah it came out solid, but I'm even more excited about the one that's still brining. That will really have the pastrami taste. The only downside is it's impossible to get good rye bread here in NC. I like to keep it simple with pastrami and brown mustard on rye.

Yeah it came out solid, but I'm even more excited about the one that's still brining. That will really have the pastrami taste. The only downside is it's impossible to get good rye bread here in NC. I like to keep it simple with pastrami and brown mustard on rye.
Hell, why not make your own rye bread since you're going all old school on us? Oh, what time's dinner? And, more importantly, do I have to arrive clothed?

Edit: Forgot to add that, that looks incredible dude. Kudos. I've considered doing this but only have one refrigerator right now. Once I get a full sized beer fridge, I'll be trying it.

Last edited:
Hell, why not make your own rye bread since you're going all old school on us? Oh, what time's dinner? And, more importantly, do I have to arrive clothed?

Edit: Forgot to add that, that looks incredible dude. Kudos. I've considered doing this but only have one refrigerator right now. Once I get a full sized beer fridge, I'll be trying it.

I actually thought about making my own rye. Even the stuff at the bakeries here isn't very good. I plan on making the other half of the brisket this weekend for the Super Bowl. So the process starts Friday night and it'll be ready Saturday afternoon.

You can make room in your fridge by just cutting a brisket in half, or getting your butcher to do it. It's in tupperware in the fridge and not taking up too much space. Granted, my wife is sick of looking at it, but she needs to understand how important pastrami is.

I actually thought about making my own rye. Even the stuff at the bakeries here isn't very good. I plan on making the other half of the brisket this weekend for the Super Bowl. So the process starts Friday night and it'll be ready Saturday afternoon.

You can make room in your fridge by just cutting a brisket in half, or getting your butcher to do it. It's in tupperware in the fridge and not taking up too much space. Granted, my wife is sick of looking at it, but she needs to understand how important pastrami is.
Ms. King has never claimed that she's tired of looking at my pastrami so I think I'm covered there. I want to try making some corned beef and make my own Reuben sandwich. Fun fact, I have never had a Reuben. I hated sauerkraut when I was a kid because they would stink up the cafeteria every Friday when we had it. I've recently discovered that good Sauerkraut is freaking delicious. So...

Ms. King has never claimed that she's tired of looking at my pastrami so I think I'm covered there. I want to try making some corned beef and make my own Reuben sandwich. Fun fact, I have never had a Reuben. I hated sauerkraut when I was a kid because they would stink up the cafeteria every Friday when we had it. I've recently discovered that good Sauerkraut is freaking delicious. So...

The cool thing about the recipe I'm using is after it's done brining in the fridge, I can just boil it and it's corned beef. Putting the rub on it and smoking it makes it pastrami.
I go back and forth on sauerkraut, but it is necessary for a reuben.

The cool thing about the recipe I'm using is after it's done brining in the fridge, I can just boil it and it's corned beef. Putting the rub on it and smoking it makes it pastrami.
I go back and forth on sauerkraut, but it is necessary for a reuben.
No crap, its that easy? You use the same brine and seasoning(s)? I'll have to remember that. Thanks, dude.

Gotta admit, not a big fan of Thousand Island, either. Not sure how that'll play out but I'm hoping that it's one of those magical confluences of ingredients that just seem so wrong but taste so right. Kinda like chicken and waffles for those North of the Mason - Dixon.

No crap, its that easy? You use the same brine and seasoning(s)? I'll have to remember that. Thanks, dude.

Gotta admit, not a big fan of Thousand Island, either. Not sure how that'll play out but I'm hoping that it's one of those magical confluences of ingredients that just seem so wrong but taste so right. Kinda like chicken and waffles for those North of the Mason - Dixon.

Technically a true Reuben has Russian dressing, not Thousand Island. Not sure if that makes a difference.

For the recipe, go to Amazing Ribs and search for Katz's Deli pastrami.

Technically a true Reuben has Russian dressing, not Thousand Island. Not sure if that makes a difference.

For the recipe, go to Amazing Ribs and search for Katz's Deli pastrami.
Screw, its Thousand Island! :oops:

Amazing Ribs was my go-to when I was first learning how to smoke. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks Basil! I tweaked mine a little bit with the brine and the amount of pepper I put in the rub. And while my first brisket brined for almost a week, the 2nd one has been in there for over 3 weeks now, so we'll see how that turns out.

That looks really good. I have a good sized brisket sitting in my freeze from the half I bought recently. I might just do this. Thanks.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back