• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Passed up by Minnesota and now Illinois this year

Beareye

Travel Squad
5 Year Member
It's bad enough to always be chasing Wisconsin and Iowa in the division, but now it appears that Minnesota and Illinois have surpassed us. It's a good thing we played Illinois back when we did rather than sometime in late October or November.

You do know MSU beat themselves and turned over the ball 4 times. I get it a loss is a loss but come on.

Fishing all day on Saturday so I didn't get a chance to see the facial expressions on morose Dantonio. I'm hopeful that ESPN or somebody will produce a series of game time photos - priceless !

Fleck and Smith are in their 3rd and 4th years respectively and it's starting to bear fruit. Minnesota's looks to me like the more likely candidate to sustain at least a 'winning' football program, but Smith is an experienced coach with a ton of talent in that magic 500 mile circle.

This is a one off. Nebraska needs another class or two to right the ship and it's going to be sooner than later we'll all be misremembering how upset we were during Frost's second year.

You do know MSU beat themselves and turned over the ball 4 times. I get it a loss is a loss but come on.

Let’s play Jeopardy. Answer: Team that leads the nation in forced fumbles. Question: Who is Illinois?
Answer: Team that leads the nation in fumbles recovered. Question: Who is Illinois?

They are also 2nd in the nation in turnover margin. What Nebraska is failing to do, Illinois is doing. Forcing turnovers. So no, MSU didn’t beat themselves. Illinois forced the issue.

It never ceases to amaze me how some fans try to minimize the accomplishments of teams who are passing us by or are better than us because they are somehow luckier than we are.

Let’s play Jeopardy. Answer: Team that leads the nation in forced fumbles. Question: Who is Illinois?
Answer: Team that leads the nation in fumbles recovered. Question: Who is Illinois?

They are also 2nd in the nation in turnover margin. What Nebraska is failing to do, Illinois is doing. Forcing turnovers. So no, MSU didn’t beat themselves. Illinois forced the issue.

It never ceases to amaze me how some fans try to minimize the accomplishments of teams who are passing us by or are better than us because they are somehow luckier than we are.

I will give Illinois and Lovie Smith all the credit in the world for getting things turned around this year.

But to say this loss by MSU wasn’t a complete choke job would be disingenuous.

MSU was up 31-10 going into the 4th quarter.

Fleck and Smith are in their 3rd and 4th years respectively and it's starting to bear fruit. Minnesota's looks to me like the more likely candidate to sustain at least a 'winning' football program, but Smith is an experienced coach with a ton of talent in that magic 500 mile circle.

This is a one off. Nebraska needs another class or two to right the ship and it's going to be sooner than later we'll all be misremembering how upset we were during Frost's second year.
Let’s hope so.

Year 2 of Fleck at Minnesota saw the Gophers finish 7-6, beating Wisconsin in Madison 37-15 and winning their bowl game.

Minnesota is the second least penalized team in the country. Good sign of discipline, focus and being a well coached team.
This is key. Nebraska is its own worst enemy and has been for years. Pelini would have had at least 10 more wins over his tenure had his teams been more disciplined. Penalties and turnovers are killers. Keep those to a minimum and you’ll see results.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back