• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Parsing the Huskers Coaching Possibilities

How can they be dead weight if they helped turn it around? I’m just trying to understand some of the reasoning guys have towards MJ as head coach.
There just is. Doesn’t mean it can’t be overcome for a short time. The tumors have been cut out. Lingering treatment still a must. I’m not advocating for Mickey to be HC. Winning is his only shot. That’s it.

I think the problem is that everyone outside of Frost only had fragments of the story. @N2FL can correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like several journalists had heard unconfirmed incidents that didn't mean much individually. You can't write a story about a coach being late a few times or being seen at a bar a few times. If you could get multiple sources to go on the record about overall management issues, that's a story. I expect that was a hard thing to do when the likely sources wanted Frost/the team to succeed, and the sources knew critical stories would hurt that effort. After Frost was fired, there were fewer reasons to hold back.
The real issue with the media isn’t really that they didn’t report the rumors - can’t 100% blame them on that. It’s the fact that they always pumped sunshine while acting like they couldn’t understand why frost was struggling. I mean, local media would be giving excuses for legacy recruits going elsewhere when they definitely knew frost was treating them like trash. They constantly gave 8 win outlooks even though they knew frost wasn’t coaching in a way to make 6.

you don’t have to reveal what color underwear the head coach wears on a daily basis, but don’t go around reporting that his digestive system creates cologne.

The real issue with the media isn’t really that they didn’t report the rumors - can’t 100% blame them on that. It’s the fact that they always pumped sunshine while acting like they couldn’t understand why frost was struggling. I mean, local media would be giving excuses for legacy recruits going elsewhere when they definitely knew frost was treating them like trash. They constantly gave 8 win outlooks even though they knew frost wasn’t coaching in a way to make 6.

you don’t have to reveal what color underwear the head coach wears on a daily basis, but don’t go around reporting that his digestive system creates cologne.
Winnerwinner

I can sympathize to an extent. I guess if there was a consensus knowledge of everyone in the press about Scott half assing his coaching responsibilities, getting everyone to report would be helpful. Being the lone man could be daunting.
To be honest, the only thing I've seen on here was the accusations regarding a bar in the past 6 months. And the mostly armchair quarterback in of bringing his entire staff. Although I seem to recall you had initial reservations.

But to my original point, you can't neglect to report on Scott half assing his job, then call people names because they weren't aware.
People were branded as Frost haters here for pointing out the obvious that anyone with two functional eyes could see and you expect folks to share the dirty goods openly in that environment? We had four straight years of excuse making from a large segment of this fanbase and they weren't going to hear a damn thing anyone had to say that was negative about Frost. Most of the stuff that's coming out now was making it's way around two years ago, but no one wanted to get suspended or banned for posting it.

No … I don’t think so … do you?
I’m trying to understand the reasoning. MJ without the qualifications can win himself into the HC position but the guys who are more qualified can’t win themselves into keeping their positions?

People were branded as Frost haters here for pointing out the obvious that anyone with two functional eyes could see and you expect folks to share the dirty goods openly in that environment? We had four straight years of excuse making from a large segment of this fanbase and they weren't going to hear a damn thing anyone had to say that was negative about Frost. Most of the stuff that's coming out now was making it's way around two years ago, but no one wanted to get suspended or banned for posting it.

Frank, I hear what you're saying and yes, a lot of this stuff was posted here......on an internet forum....by people most of us don't know or haven't met. That's different than being reported up the food chain in the Athletic Department or in the media. If THOSE folks knew all of the stuff that's being reported now was happening all along, they could have reported it. Expecting guy's who's only contact with the program is watching the games on Saturday to make the leap that what we're reading in here is fact because we're '15-29' doesn't make sense to me.

The nasty back and forth? Yeah. Didn't need to happen. Shouldn't happen now either.

I hope we've learned something from this and we're a better group and I'll include myself in that.

I hope.

From the article:

I would be ecstatic for that set up. On paper at least.
Something like that would be a solid hire. And I like how it would go against the grain of loading salary on just the head coach.

For example, if you're going to have a $15m staff, you probably get more out of putting $10m on the assistants and $5m on the head coach than the other way around.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back