• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Paprika

Squatchsker

All American
15 Year Member
So we had a bunch of cherry peppers, and some lunchbox sweets that we force ripened in a paper bag after stripping out our plants. This morning I sliced them, cleaned them, and they went in for a cold smoke for about three hours. Now they are in the dehydrator and I will be making paprika tomorrow. Might throw in a baby dried habanero for a little extra heat. I know, it is not a "true paprika", but I think it will do. Have a great day all.
peppers.jpg

So we had a bunch of cherry peppers, and some lunchbox sweets that we force ripened in a paper bag after stripping out our plants. This morning I sliced them, cleaned them, and they went in for a cold smoke for about three hours. Now they are in the dehydrator and I will be making paprika tomorrow. Might throw in a baby dried habanero for a little extra heat. I know, it is not a "true paprika", but I think it will do. Have a great day all.
View attachment 72923

What do you use to cold smoke? My Traeger won't work below 100°

Success. Now to use the resulting sweet heat, it came out at a nice sneaky medium without the habanero, on some chops that I cut out of a half loin.
Have a great day fellas.

This last year from our garden I was able to make smoked Ancho powder, Chipotle, and a Hatch/Anaheim mixture. I used hickory and mesquite to make sure that I wouldn't lose any smoke in the drying process. All this along with a mixture of anything cayenne level and above that that got thrown together and ground, then labeled "HOT" to make sure my wife doesn't grab it in error. I was able to fill up 26 oz. containers of each, and enough chipotle left over to give the neighbor about 4 ounces in a baggie.

This last year from our garden I was able to make smoked Ancho powder, Chipotle, and a Hatch/Anaheim mixture. I used hickory and mesquite to make sure that I wouldn't lose any smoke in the drying process. All this along with a mixture of anything cayenne level and above that that got thrown together and ground, then labeled "HOT" to make sure my wife doesn't grab it in error. I was able to fill up 26 oz. containers of each, and enough chipotle left over to give the neighbor about 4 ounces in a baggie.

I had planned on smoking some of the peppers we grew last year, but my schedule only allowed two batches. I could have done twenty we had so many freaking peppers.

On the mesquite, I did one batch with hickory/mesquite and another with hickory and oak and the hickory oak blend was much better. The mesquite left a bit of a bitter aftertaste the hickory oak blend didn't. I had kind of stopped smoking meats with mesquite for the same reason, so I'm kind of wondering if you had the same result.

I had planned on smoking some of the peppers we grew last year, but my schedule only allowed two batches. I could have done twenty we had so many freaking peppers.

On the mesquite, I did one batch with hickory/mesquite and another with hickory and oak and the hickory oak blend was much better. The mesquite left a bit of a bitter aftertaste the hickory oak blend didn't. I had kind of stopped smoking meats with mesquite for the same reason, so I'm kind of wondering if you had the same result.
Not big into mesquite either.Hickory is mostly superior imo, oaks ok.

I like mesquite for things that have a forward flavor. I had tried some lighter woods before for making spice blends, and they felt more subtle, if not washed out after dehydrating and grinding. I did use cherry for some sweet peppers that I then cut into rings and pickled. She likes those for her salads.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back