• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Paella

chicago husker

Da Bears
5 Year Member
My wife's Brother & wife are coming for a long weekend March 8th from Mn. and wants me to make Paella. Her Sister and her husband also from Mn. are coming March 22nd for a long weekend and want me to make Paella. I have a friend from Lincoln and is also coming for a long weekend in March and requested Paella. I will say I make a mean Paella but 3 out of 3 wanting at least one meal to be Paella. Anyone else a Paella fan and if so share your thoughts.

Tried to upload pics of my last paella cook on my weber ranch grill but it said the file was to large. So this is close to the final look.

spanish-paella-mr-x.jpg

My wife's Brother & wife are coming for a long weekend March 8th from Mn. and wants me to make Paella. Her Sister and her husband also from Mn. are coming March 22nd for a long weekend and want me to make Paella. I have a friend from Lincoln and is also coming for a long weekend in March and requested Paella. I will say I make a mean Paella but 3 out of 3 wanting at least one meal to be Paella. Anyone else a Paella fan and if so share your thoughts.

Maybe it was the only thing that you've made in the past that was edible?

Wow what an ars statement. I can out cook any chef or restaurant i have ever been to. Has this forum simply turned into a site to slam and degrade any and all? I assume from your response that you are a Liberal as the if the shoe fits wear it. Go make a hot dog in a pan of boiling water.

Spent 2 years in southern Spain in the late 80's and became a huge fan of paella. Interesting how different restaurants over there could have very different spins. Yours looks to be be the more traditional as is mine. The big difference between what I had over there and what I make, is I use boneless thighs. My seafood will always include shrimp and mussels, but from there it depends on my mood. Scallops, clams, oysters, and lobster have all made an appearance. I can understand why your family and friends would request it. Cook time isn't long, it's just all the prep you have to do. You've got me thinking it's about time for me to whip some up. Enjoy!

Spent 2 years in southern Spain in the late 80's and became a huge fan of paella. Interesting how different restaurants over there could have very different spins. Yours looks to be be the more traditional as is mine. The big difference between what I had over there and what I make, is I use boneless thighs. My seafood will always include shrimp and mussels, but from there it depends on my mood. Scallops, clams, oysters, and lobster have all made an appearance. I can understand why your family and friends would request it. Cook time isn't long, it's just all the prep you have to do. You've got me thinking it's about time for me to whip some up. Enjoy!

I use the bone in chicken thighs, and costco has lobster claws in the frozen food section that i use along with mussels and shrimp scallops and sometimes clams. I use Bomba rice, saffron, spanish chorizo and seafood Paella Aneto stock. top at the end with frozen peas for color. and Old Gold Knight is correct on the socarrat as don't stir the rice so you get the crust.

Wow what an ars statement. I can out cook any chef or restaurant i have ever been to. Has this forum simply turned into a site to slam and degrade any and all? I assume from your response that you are a Liberal as the if the shoe fits wear it. Go make a hot dog in a pan of boiling water.

I assume you are a better at cooking then you are at decoding sarcasm. Lighten up Francis

I assume you are a better at cooking then you are at decoding sarcasm. Lighten up Francis

I know sarcasm and there is a time and a place for it. The sad part is when someone you haven't gone back and forth with in the past and in a format such as this your only comment is sarcasm. So you lighten up Francis and think before you post.

start by prepping everything ahead of time as it goes together quickly and is fun to make. I have a weber ranch grill which has a 37" top and use a somewhere around a 30" paella pan. A cast iron skillet can be used and it can be made on stove top just more fun on the grill. quantity of ingredients will vary depending on the size of the pan but here is what i use give or take.
8 to 10 chicken thighs (i use bone in skin on) salt and peppered and grilled so skin is crisp, 1 large onion diced, 24 jumbo shrimp shelled and deveined tails on or off up to you, 24 sea scallops, bag of costco lobster claws thawed, bag of costco mussels scrubbed and de-bearded, some clams if i fell like it, 1 lb thinly sliced Spanish chorizo, jar of piquillo peppers sliced, 4-5 cups of Bomba rice which will take 3 cups of broth per cup of rice and i use seafood Paella Aneto stock. large pinch of saffron, 6 to 10 finely chopped cloves of garlic, canola oil, salt and pepper,1 or 2 cups of frozen peas thawed, 6 or so lemons quartered and 4 halved. Drink of choice filled often.

heat of stock and add saffron when simmering add mussels and cook for about 5 minutes until they open, remove mussels and throw away any that didn't open, if using clams put them in the same stock and cook for about 10 minutes and do the same as mussels. keep stock warm
fire up the grill and grill seasoned thighs on a cooler side of grill so not to dry them out but get crisp skin remove and set the aside
heat pealla pan and when hot add canola oil and i just pour to cover bottom of pan 1/4 to 1/3 cup. When oil is shimmering add onion and when soft add garlic and stir well add chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes the Spanish chorizo will release oil and turn onion and garlic red, add rice and stir constantly for a few minutes and start adding stock 1 cup at a time and stir until all stock is added. then decision of socarrat (crust) and no crust. if socarrat don't stir beyond this point. it takes about 25 minutes to cook rice and during that time i grill the shrimp and scallops (salt and peppered) a minute or 2 on each side and start scattering them around around the 15 to 20 minute mark of rice cooking. same thing with lobster claws ( i do take the back of a knife and crack the claws and they stay on the grill a bit longer. now just scatter and kind of push into the rice all ingredients around to desired look at the end take the 4 halved lemons and squeeze juice around top with peas remove from grill when rice taste done and cover with foil and let rest for about 10 minutes. remove foil and place quartered lemons around the outside rim for color and available for people to use if desired. grab plates and enjoy. Sangria is a good drink of choice for this.

easy as can be just some prep work.

Sangria Recipe

This is a classic sangria recipe that is so flavorful and refreshing, perfect with paella!
  • 1 750 ml bottle of dry red wine
  • 1/3 cup of brandy (a splash more if you like it strong)
  • 3-4 tbsp of brown sugar
  • 1 cup of orange juice
  • 3/4 cup of sparkling wine, like prosecco
  • 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • 1 blood orange, thinly sliced
  • Ice
  1. In a large pitcher, add half of the apple and orange slices, add ice.
  2. Pour the red wine, brandy, orange juice, and sparkling wine to the pitcher.
  3. With a long wooden spoon, mix together well.
  4. Add in the 3-4 tbsp of brown sugar, mix again.
  5. Add in more ice and the rest of the apple and blood orange slices. Mix together one last time. Serve and garnish with a few extra slices of apples and oranges.

any thoughts or suggestions for changes?
Just send your address as I'm in Chicago and would love both items!

Thanks for posting. I've never done paella before but I do love to cook and this looks interesting. How many does that recipe feed? Looks like a lot.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back