• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac-12 coaches pitch idea to start season

Do you think schools are not going to have full-time students on campus for the fall semester but WILL allow athletics in the fall semester? One begets the other.

Certainly not, though one doesn’t necessarily have to result in the other. But that wasn’t the question. The question is whether the NCAA can or will impose the cancellation of sports at all schools in the country simply because California schools choose to forego in person classes and sports.

It doesn't sound like the NCAA is going to intervene. I imagine that is to relieve them of any liability? Not sure if that is a good thing or not. We will see I guess.

Therefore, why the requirement that students be back on campus before sports are allowed to start? I would rather see a full season played, with the proper precautions in place (including no fans if needed), than the cluster that will result if the NCAA or CA government makes the decisions.

I also don't see the need for a uniform start date, especially with the virus in totally different statuses across the country. Allow the "open" states to start practice as of June 1. Allow every school the same number of preseason practices, regardless of their start date. That's the most fair, and the best way to manage the return to normalcy.
The first thing we should ask is where is it best for everyone for students to be. On campus or at home with their parents that may be 60+. I think if you look at the entire exposure picture, that having one of the lowest risk groups congregated together and away from higher risk groups that the overall safety is improved by having students on campus.

It also doesn't need to be equal. Teams have been knocked off practice schedules or games before. If you loose some practice time and need to accommodate, so be it.

Certainly not, though one doesn’t necessarily have to result in the other. But that wasn’t the question. The question is whether the NCAA can or will impose the cancellation of sports at all schools in the country simply because California schools choose to forego in person classes and sports.
No the NCAA is not going to impose the cancellation of sports across the country.

California may get left behind ... and I hope they do!

Agree, but to be accurate, they are the state of CA restrictions, not put in place by the PAC12 as i see it.
Correct the restrictions are CA imposed ... but the PAC12 ... having to deal with that reality suggested a uniform start to the season. They ( the PAC12) are the weakest link and they know it ... so they'd rather drag down the entire sport by delaying the start of the season rather than being left out altogether!

The ADs want the NCAA to do what your asking. Set a practice date and it’s the same for everybody. The NCAA said they won’t do that. It’s up to the governors. Which means it won’t be fair, structured or organized. That’s a big bummer.
I think its good for Nebraska ... Governor has already stated there will be on campus fall semester. So leave those wack-a-doodles in California and Oregon to sit at home and lets get our Huskers back to playing football!

The ADs want the NCAA to do what your asking. Set a practice date and it’s the same for everybody. The NCAA said they won’t do that. It’s up to the governors. Which means it won’t be fair, structured or organized. That’s a big bummer.
It doesn't sound like the NCAA is going to intervene. I imagine that is to relieve them of any liability? Not sure if that is a good thing or not. We will see I guess.
No the NCAA is not going to impose the cancellation of sports across the country.

California may get left behind ... and I hope they do!
I know that this thread already seems outdated, but this whole situation isn't over, and it will be an ongoing concern. My take is that the SEC will have football, with or without NCAA approval. Those who have followed the politics of college football should be able to see by now that the NCAA is a fangless enforcer in pretty much any manner that isn't already almost unanimous. It will be obvious in this case. The SEC would be able to function without the NCAA, but the NCAA would not be able to function without the SEC. That brutal fact becomes the foundation for decision making. Fwiw, the same could be said about the B1G and the NCAA, but the B1G is traditionally much more likely to be concered about consensus.

I absolutely agree that the PAC is trying to finagle a way to work around the CA government. By NOT giving into them, the NCAA has forced the CA government to work around the NCAA, which means working around what the SEC and the B1G want. If the SEC and the B1G are on the same page, they're going to get what they want. While Michigan, Illinois, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland can limit what takes place in their states, there will be too much political pressure to cancel the party when/if Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa, and Indiana move forward. I'm purposefully leaving Wisconsin and Minnesota out for now because I believe both governors will fall in line with the pack when the time comes, and I think that both governors face immense pressure from fans to allow professional football to take place, so college football would be tacked on.

Nebraska doesn't have the clout in the league to make any sort of initiative to try to move forward on its own, but I suspect that Moos has been in conversations with other ADs all over to discuss the ramifications enough to know who lines up where, and as long as Moos has the support of Ohio State and just one or two other states, the B1G is going to have something that looks a lot like a football season. The SEC taking the lead on that makes it easier and more likely for the pressure to be added to Moos' push for as much of a season as possible. It's not a coincidence that he had already pushed forward with the protocols for reopening to the point that B1G Commissioner Warren asked Moos to share his plans with the rest of the conference. That's huge. That puts the onus on the governors to prove that it's unsafe to have football versus forcing those who want football to meet what is likely an unrealistic standard of something close to perfect safety.

It's going to be increasingly difficult to keep politics out of the discussion when it comes to football this fall for many reasons above and beyond any other "normal" presidential election year. College football will be a political football, too. (See what I did there?) If any governors don't allow it, it will not only be used against them, it will be used locally in presidential election ads as a smear against the governor's party. The opposite is also true in that if governors allow or even encourage football, any spread of the virus that can be traced to football games will be used as fodder for political ads, again, not only against those governors, but also in the presidential election. There will be no safe hideout for governors who want to avoid tough choices either, but that would not have been the case if the PAC had been able to talk everybody else into waiting and doing everything with them in sync.

We live in interesting times.

Also, just to make a note about a certain drum that has been beaten to death: It would appear that our good AD not only has "his house in order," he's been asked to provide directions for the rest of the league to get their houses in order. We have an AD who is widely respected, and he think he has a disproportionate amount of influence. When you have the ear of the B1G commissioner, it's not much of a reach to say that all of college football is listening to some extent.

Last edited:
It was interesting, while I was driving in mid-south yesterday, Nick Saban's voice came on the radio and said, "Stay safe at home and if we do, we hope to see football come back this fall?"

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back