• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac-12 coaches pitch idea to start season

DuckTownHusker

Blackshirt Sith Lord
10 Year Member
Interesting development.

The NCAA is a toothless tiger when it comes to this kind of stuff. If the P5 conferences want to open for football, my gut says football will happen.

There's probably a domino effect here, too. If some major PAC teams like USC, Oregon and Washington play ball, I can't see how the ACC, SEC, XII and B1G want to get left behind. The SEC appears ready to play, too.

No way teams like Oklahoma or Ohio State sit on their rumps and let Clemson or LSU have all the fun.

Interesting development.

The NCAA is a toothless tiger when it comes to this kind of stuff. If the P5 conferences want to open for football, my gut says football will happen.

There's probably a domino effect here, too. If some major PAC teams like USC, Oregon and Washington play ball, I can't see how the ACC, SEC, XII and B1G want to get left behind. The SEC appears ready to play, too.

No way teams like Oklahoma or Ohio State sit on their rumps and let Clemson or LSU have all the fun.

To me it looks like the Pac 12 are afraid of being left behind and want everyone to follow what the NCAA said, everyone starts at the same time or no one starts.

I don't think the NCAA with their all or none deal is going to work, too many want to start and they won't let certain states stop them.

Interesting development.

I don't want the NCAA to be leading the charge on this ... and frankly I suspect they don't want to either ... if they have to make the call they are going to have to follow the lead of the weakest link. If the state of California says no school till 2021 - then 23 D1 state schools will not be able to play and therefore the NCAA will have to say to the other 95 schools - sorry no football.

If rather the NCAA allows the SEC say - we are playing football no matter what (with several different contingencies) then other schools will follow suit. USC, UCLA, Oregon and others will find a way or at the very least 80% of the nation can play football and leave the PAC12 to wither and die!

Additionally of course the PAC12 wants to push uniformity because at the moment they're looking like the weakest link. They want to drag the rest of college football down to their level of restrictions.

Agree, but to be accurate, they are the state of CA restrictions, not put in place by the PAC12 as i see it.

Agree, but to be accurate, they are the state of CA restrictions, not put in place by the PAC12 as i see it.
Understood but that's why the PAC12 is pushing/pitching for a uniform start to the season. Let's also be clear - the same whack-a-doodles running the State of CA are also running the Universities in California. (hope that didn't break the no political-ness of the thread)

Last edited:
I don't want the NCAA to be leading the charge on this ... and frankly I suspect they don't want to either ... if they have to make the call they are going to have to follow the lead of the weakest link. If the state of California says no school till 2021 - then 23 D1 state schools will not be able to play and therefore the NCAA will have to say to the other 95 schools - sorry no football.

If rather the NCAA allows the SEC say - we are playing football no matter what (with several different contingencies) then other schools will follow suit. USC, UCLA, Oregon and others will find a way or at the very least 80% of the nation can play football and leave the PAC12 to wither and die!

Why?

They are California restrictions, but 4 of the 12 PAC-12 schools (UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal) are in California. Without them, there is no practical way for the PAC-12 to open for business.

I saw an article on ESPN last night stating that the NCAA does not want nor does it intend on making any call on football. They are leaving it to the individual state Governors/guidelines. That means it will be more of a cluster.

They are California restrictions, but 4 of the 12 PAC-12 schools (UCLA, USC, Stanford, Cal) are in California. Without them, there is no practical way for the PAC-12 to open for business.

I know UCLA does not usually start school until mid-Sept...not sure of the other schools are that way?

I am sure this season will be a cluster, with all sorts of canceled games. There isn't really anything the NCAA can do about it.

This year.
Stanford September 21
Cal August 19
UCLA September 28
USC August 24
Therefore, why the requirement that students be back on campus before sports are allowed to start? I would rather see a full season played, with the proper precautions in place (including no fans if needed), than the cluster that will result if the NCAA or CA government makes the decisions.

I also don't see the need for a uniform start date, especially with the virus in totally different statuses across the country. Allow the "open" states to start practice as of June 1. Allow every school the same number of preseason practices, regardless of their start date. That's the most fair, and the best way to manage the return to normalcy.

Therefore, why the requirement that students be back on campus before sports are allowed to start? I would rather see a full season played, with the proper precautions in place (including no fans if needed), than the cluster that will result if the NCAA or CA government makes the decisions.

I also don't see the need for a uniform start date, especially with the virus in totally different statuses across the country. Allow the "open" states to start practice as of June 1. Allow every school the same number of preseason practices, regardless of their start date. That's the most fair, and the best way to manage the return to normalcy.

The ADs want the NCAA to do what your asking. Set a practice date and it’s the same for everybody. The NCAA said they won’t do that. It’s up to the governors. Which means it won’t be fair, structured or organized. That’s a big bummer.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back