• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac 12 athletic union ?

@ Redsaidted, That was funny. I take it you feel very strongly about it. However, "IF" football players were to be compensated beyond scholarship/degree, what do you think might work? The BIGTEN revenue for 2019 was 759 million with a payout of 50+ million to each school last year. That more than covers the cost of pay for bigten schools to pay. I think it might be more appropriate than say *** $150000 per year and then pay for school. It falls in line with what other minor league players recieve in other sports. The Cap idea, i don't know if its good or not but maybe it can prevent some buying big names with lots of money. An Attempt at Parity might make things more interesting year in and year out. What say thee?

I am not sure where I stand on this whole topic but here is an idea based off of other minor league pay scales. Minor league baseball, A to AAA has a pay rate of 400 to 700 dollars a week for the season, quick google search. G-league pay is "G League players not affiliated with NBA teams earn one of two salaries, $19,500 or $26,000, for the six-month season. Teams provide free housing for the players. .." from theundefeated.com. I could be supportive of a similar pay structure for College football players. Add in a college degree, free housing and food and you get a decent payscale. Perhaps you get paid for Star Ratings. 4-5 = 26,000, less than 4 then 19,500 which is pay breakdown of 85 scholarship players 1.7 million and 2.2 million per team, this could be covered by reducing coaching salaries. A league cap could be made NIL + pay for each team. Which might reduce the capacity of say Alabama. If you have super all stars making NIL 45 million total for team then a league cap of 20 million would reduce how many super stars you can have paid on your team getting paid.
Those low salaries for minor leagues and G leagues highlights the fact that nobody really cares about these semipro athletes if they’re not attached to a University. I don’t think these players fully appreciate that fact.

As for competing, no way a state with the population of Nebraska would be able to compete with the big schools who have a much larger base from w

Which is why I threw out the idea of salary cap per school. NIL+pay. Thoughts?

@ Redsaidted, That was funny. I take it you feel very strongly about it. However, "IF" football players were to be compensated beyond scholarship/degree, what do you think might work? The BIGTEN revenue for 2019 was 759 million with a payout of 50+ million to each school last year. That more than covers the cost of pay for bigten schools to pay. I think it might be more appropriate than say *** $150000 per year and then pay for school. It falls in line with what other minor league players recieve in other sports. The Cap idea, i don't know if its good or not but maybe it can prevent some buying big names with lots of money. An Attempt at Parity might make things more interesting year in and year out. What say thee?
I wouldn’t even consider it. Again, if what they want is to play minor league football, then go for it.

Players can make their money off of NIL. There’s a difference between the colleges refusing to pay players, which I fully agree, and denying them the opportunity to earn outside benefits, such as income from NIL. That’s how Congress got involved in this. We can say that as a college we are not going to pay you to play here. It’s your choice if you want to play for a scholarship or not. But it’s another thing to say we’re not going to pay you AND we forbid you to earn any income from outside sources as well. That’s infringement, and those days are over.

@RedSaidTed

There is truth in that statement, and they don't understand economics much based on their demands. However, I was tossing out an idea to see where the merit of it lies. I struggle with a group of people making millions off someone without some sort of compensation. I know that there are simply a handful of players who are going to the PRO's and many more who are trying to get there and it does not include all players, but many of todays college football/basketball players are not interested in a degree, however unfortunate that is, is it possible to pay them with some $ for their time and effort. It does remove them from the amateur status. But there is no minor league to choose from.

I take the minor league back, I guess there is but how legit is it at developing talent for potential NFL?

@RedSaidTed

There is truth in that statement, and they don't understand economics much based on their demands. However, I was tossing out an idea to see where the merit of it lies. I struggle with a group of people making millions off someone without some sort of compensation. I know that there are simply a handful of players who are going to the PRO's and many more who are trying to get there and it does not include all players, but many of todays college football/basketball players are not interested in a degree, however unfortunate that is, is it possible to pay them with some $ for their time and effort. It does remove them from the amateur status. But there is no minor league to choose from.
If you think about it though, who’s making money off of who? How much financial value would most of these kids have if it wasn’t for these universities? Those minor league and G league numbers provide the answer.

@RedSaidTed, They don't make money as minor leagues don't have fan base to pay. Its why I don't agree with Women's National Soccer team making what the men make. People in seats = more money. The players of football in College Football are a focus because they are bringing a large fan base to a football stadium. NU Tuition, R&B, fees, 37k a year. Four/Five years 148k for Four years. They are inherently making money by not paying/loaning up for their degree. Yes you are correct in that they are making money from a sport scholarship by not paying. All things being equal so is a soccer player who has a full ride where they make zero dollars for the school for games very few attend at least at my school, unless they donate later. LOL.

@RedSaidTed, They don't make money as minor leagues don't have fan base to pay. Its why I don't agree with Women's National Soccer team making what the men make. People in seats = more money. The players of football in College Football are a focus because they are bringing a large fan base to a football stadium. NU Tuition, R&B, fees, 37k a year. Four/Five years 148k for Four years. They are inherently making money by not paying/loaning up for their degree. Yes you are correct in that they are making money from a sport scholarship by not paying. All things being equal so is a soccer player who has a full ride where they make zero dollars for the school for games very few attend at least at my school, unless they donate later. LOL.

The people are in the seats because they’re going to watch the Nebraska Cornhuskers, not because Johnny Doe is playing QB. I could start at QB on the first Saturday of September and we would pack the stands (virus aside). We’d have -300 yards total offense, but it would be in front of a sold out crowd.;)

What exactly is it about players potentially getting paid that would supposedly make some of you stop watching college football?
To me it's about the inscription on the NW corner of Memorial Stadium:

COURAGE
GENEROSITY
FAIRNESS
HONOR
IN THESE ARE THE TRUE AWARDS OF MANLY SPORT

Now it's become "all about the Benjamins". A sign of the times, I guess, but to me it's the duty of those who have worthwhile knowledge (life experiences) to at least try to pass on that knowledge for the good of others. How do you think the "Junction Boys" would feel about college athletes being paid more than the average American?

I wouldn’t even consider it. Again, if what they want is to play minor league football, then go for it.

We can say that as a college we are not going to pay you to play here. It’s your choice if you want to play for a scholarship or not. But it’s another thing to say we’re not going to pay you AND we forbid you to earn any income from outside sources as well. That’s infringement, and those days are over.
The purpose of the outside pay is not about trying to deny the student athletes opportunity......its about trying to create equity and fairness across the entire NCAA. If Alabama has likeness programs that are averaging 2 million per year per starter and Nebraska can only offer 20K where do you think college sports are going?

I talked to one of our ex players about this yesterday. Thinks it is stupid what kids are demanding today. And he just graduated 2 years ago. Here is the bottom line. These players making all these demands have no idea that this money being generated is not by them. Its being generated because of all our players of the past. This kid and his dad both had successful Nebraska careers. The stadiums, the facilities, the ability to market and pay staff, administration and other sports has all been achieved by these players of the past.

If these players don't feel happy getting a college education, being trained free by first rate coaching staffs, being provided meals and transportation to highlight their talent for the next level then they have two choices. Don't play or go start their own college team, build their own facilities, hire and pay their own staff and then find teams to schedule. Because right now they are just entitlement babies not appreciating what past players and fans have contributed to give them this opportunity.

And quite truthfully for any fan that wants to support changes that provide immediate high dollar finances to these players because of what is happening right now.....and not how we go there......use some common sense and see what the consequences of these decisions are and ask yourself if you really think college football or sports as a whole will survive in any reasonable form 5 years from now. At what point will there be a legal challenge that the starting QB at Rutgers should get as much as the starting QB at Alabama. Or why an all American point guard on the Kansas basketball team makes more than the woman's starting point guard that averages more turnover than points per game. This is where we are going and people are too blind to see it.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back