• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac 12 athletic union ?

Pay em, Tax em, and make them pay for their tuition and other expenses out of that pay.

Also, let the market decide. You’ll have a few like the QB’s and other stars like the Suh’s and Lavonte David’s of the world who will make the lions share, and many others who never see the field for 4 years who will end up probably making around minimum wage.
Agreed, but you left one thing out. Any non-revenue-generating sport will be cut. So all that's left will be football, and maybe a small basketball league. And then the Title IX folks start screaming.

I was on the side of "no way" for a long time, but I no longer am. The risk for the entire athletic program sits on the shoulders of the football players who may be exposing themselves to life long injury, either through football related activities or things like the virus. Everyone else, including the AD, its staff, the coaches, the other sports (maybe basketball is in the black) is a free rider.

So if there are essential employees for the university athletic programs, the players are it. And they are employees. The game cannot go on without them, but it could go on without trainers, coaches and ADs, as well as non-football related personnel.

Now decide how they are compensated - that can be decided by the wealthy alums around the country and schools with more big rollers will get better teams - they do now anyway. Right now we give them scholarships and that was OK for a while. But c'mon - the coach gets $5 million per!And in many programs a lot more.

As for minor leagues, that might be more honest than what we have now. You could say that schools may not offer any compensation to football players and then have each university that is interested affiliate with a professional minor league team. That would separate those who wanted to try to make the NFL from students who wanted to play football. Many of the Ivy league schools have football activities at the House or dorm level and they have good competition at that level every year. A lot of good athletes simply don't want to spend the time that varsity sports requires. Many of the kids on scholarships don't get an education anyway, so that would be no change for many of them.

We don't have a pro team in Nebraska, so we are substituting the college team for it. I have long since accepted that is what has happened and this virus environment has persuaded me that the varsity football players should be seen in a different light than I once looked at them. The fact is, we don't care if they are attending classes or not.

Pay em, Tax em, and make them pay for their tuition and other expenses out of that pay.

Also, let the market decide. You’ll have a few like the QB’s and other stars like the Suh’s and Lavonte David’s of the world who will make the lions share, and many others who never see the field for 4 years who will end up probably making around minimum wage.
This is where I’m at just slightly different. I think the whole reason there’s such a frustration with the players, is it goes back that they have no clue everything they get compared to the average college student (also why I’m of the opinion that just giving things away for free in politics just leads to more things wanted for free because it’s never enough).

What I would advocate for is every player gets that 150k,and brags about it to all his friends that didn’t play football that are making minimum wage at wingstop. Charge them for tuition, room and board, every time they go to the training table, they get a Bill right away for equipment and clothing check out, etc.

I still remember my friend running basically a LaserTag as a high school graduate making 30k a year and being so jealous because playing two sports I couldn’t sniff that kind of money.

Agreed, but you left one thing out. Any non-revenue-generating sport will be cut. So all that's left will be football, and maybe a small basketball league. And then the Title IX folks start screaming.
I think that’s why my model could actually work, you’re paying them what you pay for anyway. With that said, so many kids would go bankrupt because they just don’t get it.

Let them sit...at home. No school without a paid tuition or scholarship waiver. No online classes, no face to face, enjoy life as just another kid trying to get an education. This lack of entertainment as some suggest should point out how fragile this little gift is for these athletes. We as fans may want it, but it can go away with the snap of a finger, and with it, the opportunity for a free education, accolades from fans and students, and a status few get to enjoy as an 18-22 year old.

And just to be clear, since I was injured when playing college sports, will my surgically repaired wrist which is now arthritic qualify? How about my hips or knees that will likely need replacing from the years of impact of running on a hard surface? And let's not forget the back, that's not going to heal itself. Knowing dozens of friends who have all gone through these types of medical challenges, are we all going to be able to claim we need healthcare assistance?

Last edited:
I’m okay with the scholarships, stipends, NIL, and I can agree with some type of extended health care benefits. They could set it up to cover health problems associated with playing football, sort of similar to line of duty benefits in the military. That all seems reasonable to me, not because they demand it, but because it’s the right thing to do for these young people who put so much on the line and certainly contribute to the value of the product.

Anything beyond that, let them boycott. See how far that gets them. See how much value 99% of them have when their name isn’t attached to a college program. Nobody cares about you if you’re not associated with a university. That’s just the reality. You want to play in arena league football 2.0? Knock yourself out. You want to play where millions of fans adore you? Then play college football. The choice is yours. Nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play CFB. It’s a privilege. Don’t forget that.

Looks like Wazzu's new head coach has some explaining to do....

Wazzu coach warns WR about joining unity group https://www.espn.com/college-footba...assidy-woods-joining-unity-group-create-issue
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Last edited:
Looks like Wazzu's new head coach has some explaining to do....

Wazzu coach warns WR about joining unity group https://www.espn.com/college-footba...assidy-woods-joining-unity-group-create-issue
via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app
I feel like this is getting twisted a bit.... from what i've been told by my couple Pac12 buddies, is that a bunch of kids opted out of 2020 football claiming Covid as the reason, they also started talking about this union (and why wouldn't you if you weren't playing anyway), but what the coach was getting at is if you are opting out due to health/safety concerns then you can't work out with the team or have a locker. Thus cleaning it out since they aren't in the "bubble".

I like Stanford's stance.... "go ahead and unionize or make these demands, we'll just cut football."

I think if we're going to go down this path, college and sports should split. These are no longer student athletes. They are employees. A segment of these athletes shouldn't be in college anyway and I'd guess there are many that consider school a necessary evil they must endure to play football and get to the NFL.

I don't see small schools or bottom of the league schools being able to afford this anyway so there will likely be a thinning of teams out of the gate. After that, I suspect most programs will not invest as heavily in facilities so the rich teams will end up with great facilities to offer and the poor teams will fall further behind.

If college and sports remain linked then there will have to be major changes from the business side.

From a business standpoint I'd want some assurances from the players. I would not allow transfers but I would consider trade deals. I would not allow players to leave early for the NFL until my investment in them was satisfied. I'd require them to graduate with a degree. And I'd be firing underperformers to get them off the payroll.

Last edited:
I think if we're going to go down this path, college and sports should split. These are no longer student athletes. They are employees. A segment of these athletes shouldn't be in college anyway and I'd guess there are many that consider school a necessary evil they must endure to play football and get to the NFL.

The "student athlete" thing has been a farce for a while now. As far as whether or not they are "employees"...by definition they'd probably fall in that category already.

You are correct about whether or not a lot of these kids would be there if not for football. But that's part of the societal benefit, no? But yeah...they are both using each other. From the macro level who do you think is getting the lion's share of the benefit?

Basketball is definitely looking like it might go in the direction of high profile H.S. players opting for "minor league" basketball instead of a year of college. Football is much more difficult in that regard probably. Football players need more than a year out of HS to be ready and putting together a minor league/college alternative would be incredibly expensive and the NFL has no financial incentive to do so.

The "student athlete" thing has been a farce for a while now. As far as whether or not they are "employees"...by definition they'd probably fall in that category already.

You are correct about whether or not a lot of these kids would be there if not for football. But that's part of the societal benefit, no? But yeah...they are both using each other. From the macro level who do you think is getting the lion's share of the benefit?

Basketball is definitely looking like it might go in the direction of high profile H.S. players opting for "minor league" basketball instead of a year of college. Football is much more difficult in that regard probably. Football players need more than a year out of HS to be ready and putting together a minor league/college alternative would be incredibly expensive and the NFL has no financial incentive to do so.

It's easy to see how it's gotten to this point. It was just a matter of time before players figured out it's their talent and health making so much money for these colleges and they deserve a piece of it. I don't fault them for that.

But as it evolves it's fundamentally changing the whole dynamic. At first sports were just extra curricular activities for students. It got away from that a long time ago but with this latest evolution it's starting to look like a business that should or could break away from its parent company and function autonomously.

On the other hand colleges have become pretty addicted to all the money so they may not be willing to part ways either.

I don't know how it will turn out but I have no doubt it's going to change the game and the landscape significantly. I just hope I still enjoy it as much as I do now.

Last edited:
I feel like this is getting twisted a bit.... from what i've been told by my couple Pac12 buddies, is that a bunch of kids opted out of 2020 football claiming Covid as the reason, they also started talking about this union (and why wouldn't you if you weren't playing anyway), but what the coach was getting at is if you are opting out due to health/safety concerns then you can't work out with the team or have a locker. Thus cleaning it out since they aren't in the "bubble".

I like Stanford's stance.... "go ahead and unionize or make these demands, we'll just cut football."

It sounds good but no they won't......

Last edited:

Sounds about right......

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back