• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Pac 12 athletic union ?

They have some kids asking for 6 years health insurance and 6 year scholarships, for academic and financial benefits.... isnt a 50k/yr free ride at USC or Stanford payment enuf for 99% of the student athletes who wont play pro FB / BB ? If they want more $, then they become employees. Tax it all, if some kids dont live up to the hype, they dont have a guaranteed contract, pull the scholie, like the SEC big boys do.

Pampered, entitled kids should not be dictating the terms. Health Ins for all athletes while enrolled, and catastrophic health ins for major issues. But not blanket care til well after your gone. No schools will be able to pay all their 750 student athletes, cause youll have to pay em the same
Jealous much.

I think that asking for extra insurance coverage after sacrificing your body is pretty reasonable. I have always said that if the NFLPA was really looking out for the players they would not worry as much about salaries and would worry more about lifetime medical coverage.

Jealous much.

I think that asking for extra insurance coverage after sacrificing your body is pretty reasonable. I have always said that if the NFLPA was really looking out for the players they would not worry as much about salaries and would worry more about lifetime medical coverage.
I think if the players would have stopped at the health insurance and 6 years to finish school, transparency with COVID, etc. I think this would be a non-issue. Asking for 50% of the revenue and demanding that the PAC 12 commissioner and coaches take huge paycuts is where this started teetering into the twilight zone.

I think if the players would have stopped at the health insurance and 6 years to finish school, transparency with COVID, etc. I think this would be a non-issue. Asking for 50% of the revenue and demanding that the PAC 12 commissioner and coaches take huge paycuts is where this started teetering into the twilight zone.
I could agree on that point.

They don't understand what they have and think they can get more. Almost no one will watch a minor league football league and the universities cannot afford to pay these players much more. Title IX would require all women to be paid as well. It would reduce sports to football, basketball, and enough women's sports to make up the necessary Title IX numbers. That's it. Even then most schools couldn't do that so they would simply drop football.

I feel like this is getting twisted a bit.... from what i've been told by my couple Pac12 buddies, is that a bunch of kids opted out of 2020 football claiming Covid as the reason, they also started talking about this union (and why wouldn't you if you weren't playing anyway), but what the coach was getting at is if you are opting out due to health/safety concerns then you can't work out with the team or have a locker. Thus cleaning it out since they aren't in the "bubble".

I like Stanford's stance.... "go ahead and unionize or make these demands, we'll just cut football."
This story is getting great (I know I replied to myself). It went from “I was cut for my beliefs!” to “well, I told them I wasn’t going to play due to covid but was still going to practice, and I don’t understand what’s wrong with that.”

#bebravein2020

Last edited:
Nothing will ever satisfy them. Two years ago it was monthly stipend. The next year the likeness proceeds. This year's it's 6 years health insurance and 50% of the revenue.

I believe we're looking at the possible end of college football as we know it. Player demands keep expanding and many (perhaps most) schools simply aren't in the fiancial position to acquiesce. Demanding 50% of the revenue to players? That's pure lunacy and that's not happening. Every player is entitled to over 400 grand a season? Players demanding those things are completely delusional imo.

As much as I love college football my answer is suspend this season for starters. BCS schools should vote and decide if they even want to continue college football programs. Once schools start negoating with a player union the inmates will indeed be running the asylum. It will be endless player demands and truly be nothing more then a modified version of the NFL. I honestly believe the future of college football is in serious jeopardy going forward.

The purpose of the outside pay is not about trying to deny the student athletes opportunity......its about trying to create equity and fairness across the entire NCAA. If Alabama has likeness programs that are averaging 2 million per year per starter and Nebraska can only offer 20K where do you think college sports are going?
That’s been a BS argument for a long time. I’m not directing that at you, just the argument in general. The fact that NIL or other outside opportunities may create an uneven playing field in recruiting athletes does not justify the infringement on their ability to earn income outside of football. It is, and has been a lame argument for years. It’s simply not justifiable, and most likely illegal.

A second point that is not necessary to make the argument but is interesting none the less... how level is the playing field now? How well does Ohio, Utah State, or New Mexico compete with the big boys now? They don’t. The Alabama and Ohio States of the world will continue to pull in the top tier athletes while the Western Michigan and Tulsas of the world will continue to pull in lower ranked athletes. The playing field is not level, my friend.

I believe we're looking at the possible end of college football as we know it. Player demands keep expanding and many (perhaps most) schools simply aren't in the fiancial position to acquiesce. Demanding 50% of the revenue to players? That's pure lunacy and that's not happening. Every player is entitled to over 400 grand a season? Players demanding those things are completely delusional imo.

As much as I love college football my answer is suspend this season for starters. BCS schools should vote and decide if they even want to continue college football programs. Once schools start negoating with a player union the inmates will indeed be running the asylum. It will be endless player demands and truly be nothing more then a modified version of the NFL. I honestly believe the future of college football is in serious jeopardy going forward.
Not if the institutions simply say no. This isn’t as dramatic as some are making it. My kids ask for shat all the time. Doesn’t mean they get it. Just say no.

What is in bold, I believe it to be true. As I said before, large sums of money will ruin the sport. Because now it is a large business, not a sport (game).

A lot of what the players are asking for is out of line. I still like the extended insurance coverage for a few years (to be determined) after leaving college, at which point in time the player can assume the premium cost, but still be part of the group coverage (or until they have other health insurance that will cover the pre-existing conditions).

As for the some of the demands, maybe it is just an old negotiating ploy (ask for more outrageous demands to start with, then negotiate down to and "settle" for what you really want). At least, I would hope so.

This story is getting great (I know I replied to myself). It went from “I was cut for my beliefs!” to “well, I told them I wasn’t going to play due to covid but was still going to practice, and I don’t understand what’s wrong with that.”

#bebravein2020
My suggestion for a player who wants to opt out for the season (while the rest of the team participates) is this:
Your scholarship will be held for you for 1 year.
You forfeit all team benefits (training table, strength & conditioning, academic support, etc.).
You must remain in school, but you pay your own way for 1 year.
To not stay in school, you forfeit the scholarship and all remaining NCAA eligibility.
To opt out a second year, you forfeit the scholarship and all remaining NCAA eligibility.

As I had responded earlier to @Elwood von Kiowa, if you take on the responsibility of the team, you deserve the benefits of the team. In the same line, if you walk away from the responsibility, you walk away from the benefits.

One more thing. I wanted to reply to you, just so you didn't think you had to do all the work and reply to yourself. I'm here to help you carry the load. :)

Last edited:
Not if the institutions simply say no. This isn’t as dramatic as some are making it. My kids ask for shat all the time. Doesn’t mean they get it. Just say no.
and i believe some Pac 12 players have been shown the door for their stand, not because of covid risk. Love kids that stand up for what they believe in. I also am a huge fan of facing the consequences for behavior.

simple solution: end all tv contracts for sports. let go back to the 60s where all revenues were from ticket sales.

its pretty simple for me. this is a losing proposition for athletes. if the colleges give more of the pie to the athletes, the only viable and non-broken way to do so is to pay all players from all sports equally. because theres no way a basketball star is happy if he sees that a highly recruited 3rd stringer gets paid more than he/she does.

when athletes are all paid equally from whatever share of the revenue they get, no way does it equal anything much more than the current stipend they get. yes, the ncaa is corrupt, but they don't make anywhere near enough profit to make any sort of profit sharing scheme with athletes wortwhile for them.

the ncaa made about 900 million in revenue in 2019. there are about 460,000 ncaa athletes out there. that's $2000 per athlete. before taxes, expenses, and salaries.

simple solution: end all tv contracts for sports. let go back to the 60s where all revenues were from ticket sales.

its pretty simple for me. this is a losing proposition for athletes. if the colleges give more of the pie to the athletes, the only viable and non-broken way to do so is to pay all players from all sports equally. because theres no way a basketball star is happy if he sees that a highly recruited 3rd stringer gets paid more than he/she does.

when athletes are all paid equally from whatever share of the revenue they get, no way does it equal anything much more than the current stipend they get. yes, the ncaa is corrupt, but they don't make anywhere near enough profit to make any sort of profit sharing scheme with athletes wortwhile for them.

the ncaa made about 900 million in revenue in 2019. there are about 460,000 ncaa athletes out there. that's $2000 per athlete. before taxes, expenses, and salaries.
Except the NCAA spent that entire 900 million by returning it to schools.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back