• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

P5 Commissioners talking to each other about no fall football UPDATE: Could B1G Still Be Played?

Maybe you do, and that's likely why these posts are so aggressively uninteresting. Most men don't, and that's why we have heroes and civilization.

Football itself is an avoidable risk. You'll find less of it if you log off. :Wave:

He has a right to his opinion as do you. If you have an issue take it to PMs. Or perhaps log off yourself if you can't deal with his differing views

RR

You avoid the risks that are avoidable. Driving intoxicated is a risk that can be avoided. Unfortunately, some do not understand the consequences of the risk and people die because someone took an unnecessary risk.

Every minute of every day people make risk assessments and take risks, actually every second of every day. The good news is you don't get to decide what is and isn't "unnecessary" risk on behalf of other people.

Hope we (NU/OSU/MU/IU/PSU) don't fall for the ----"Delay the start of season until late Sept" game.... I have a feeling they will cancel then and we have no time to fill a schedule if we want to play in 2020.

Where is Jim Delaney when you need him....

Last edited:

WRONG!!! Did you even read the article??? That would be a smart thing to do before you comment on it.

The issue is not whether players will catch Covid 19. The issue is the INCREASING evidence that healthy people who get and survive Covid 19 have new, permanent heart damage and schools don't test for this. In fact, the doctors are still trying to determine:

1. How much damage occurs.
2. Why the damage occurs.
3. The extant the damage occurs.
4. How to measure this damage.
5. What future limitations this places on people.

Like the ARTICLE pointed out, the AD's are not worried about players catching Covid 19 and dying. They are worried about players dropping dead in practice or training or games from new and undiagnosed heart damage after otherwise recovering from Covid 19.
You are right, IMO, the worries have shifted, somewhat, from getting the China Virus to the fact it could lead to heart damage....but the China Virus is NEVER going away......let me emphasize that, "NEVER" going away. We have had a flu vaccine for decades and many people still die from it or get really sick from it, despite all the vaccines...and all the time since it was 1st discovered.......so I guess we can all go bury our heads in the sand and deny it away....or just take every precaution and live our lives. I am actually envious of the football players....Tested twice a week, constantly monitored, immediate test results, great medical facilities, great diet, etc. On the other hand, my sister got tested 3 weeks ago in Montana and neither she (nor her Dr) still know the results. Heck, she has been basically quarantined fro 3 weeks now so even if it was positive, it should be gone by now. And, again I agree with you, I am OK with masks, though i find it funny that "masks" for other professions (Structure Fire Fighters, Dr's, Scientists who work with infectious diseases/virus/etc, military and their "chem Gear", etc) wear masks MANY times more effective than grabbing whatever you can find and putting it on your face, like most of the public is doing. So I guess it comes down to what are people willing to do to live as normal as a life during this pandemic? I have worn a mask a total of 3 times since this all started. And I am probably in the "susceptible" age group, with health conditions, that I should probably worry more than I do. But, oh well.

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention this: Coming from the school Presidents, this is more about "liability" (as in $$$$) than it is about concern over the students. If a student (whether an athlete or not) gets sent home and gets the China Virus, it is a "so sad" from the school but no $$$$ liability. If they are playing a school sanctioned sport, then they are on the hook for $$$ if lawsuits are lost. Don't anyone fool themselves, the bottom line on this is the MONEY.

Last edited:
60k+ a year die from the flu. The vaccine is less than 50% effective.. people will still get the flu, still get the vaccine and will still die.

Yeah, we should cancel life.. at least during the flu season

Last edited:

You are right, IMO, the worries have shifted, somewhat, from getting the China Virus to the fact it could lead to heart damage....but the China Virus is NEVER going away......let me emphasize that, "NEVER" going away. We have had a flu vaccine for decades and many people still die from it or get really sick from it, despite all the vaccines...and all the time since it was 1st discovered.......so I guess we can all go bury our heads in the sand and deny it away....or just take every precaution and live our lives. I am actually envious of the football players....Tested twice a week, constantly monitored, immediate test results, great medical facilities, great diet, etc. On the other hand, my sister got tested 3 weeks ago in Montana and neither she (nor her Dr) still know the results. Heck, she has been basically quarantined fro 3 weeks now so even if it was positive, it should be gone by now. And, again I agree with you, I am OK with masks, though i find it funny that "masks" for other professions (Structure Fire Fighters, Dr's, Scientists who work with infectious diseases/virus/etc, military and their "chem Gear", etc) wear masks MANY times more effective than grabbing whatever you can find and putting it on your face, like most of the public is doing. So I guess it comes down to what are people willing to do to live as normal as a life during this pandemic? I have worn a mask a total of 3 times since this all started. And I am probably in the "susceptible" age group, with health conditions, that I should probably worry more than I do. But, oh well.

Well stated as what is life if you can't live it?

He has a right to his opinion as do you. If you have an issue take it to PMs. Or perhaps log off yourself if you can't deal with his differing views

RR
I think you're mistaking illustrative and colorful disagreement for a personal issue. The entire subject matter of HuskerMax is antithetical to his stated point, and absurdity is best illustrated by taking it to its logical end.

I have no personal vendetta against #278, just trying to draw out some original substance. :Fishing:

Fair enough. Still close contact with the players. To think it won’t spread is not logical.

Luckily zero people, literally zero are saying that. What's less logical is to think spread will be any less without football. Everywhere in the country much of the spread is already happening with younger people without football. Take football away and these kids will have less incentive to not put themselves in situations that could cause spread and will have less access to testing and therapies if needed. Everywhere you see coaches and players wanting to play and feeling they are safer with football, but suddenly they don't get a say in their own health and risk management because so much of the country has gone hysterical.

If we have to remove all risk from football just pack up, go home and end it as a sport now. That will make some people very happy.

Every minute of every day people make risk assessments and take risks, actually every second of every day. The good news is you don't get to decide what is and isn't "unnecessary" risk on behalf of other people.
Actually we have 1000s of laws on the books where society has determined that avoiding certain risks serves the greater good. just sayin

Luckily zero people, literally zero are saying that. What's less logical is to think spread will be any less without football. Everywhere in the country much of the spread is already happening with younger people without football. Take football away and these kids will have less incentive to not put themselves in situations that could cause spread and will have less access to testing and therapies if needed. Everywhere you see coaches and players wanting to play and feeling they are safer with football, but suddenly they don't get a say in their own health and risk management because so much of the country has gone hysterical.

If we have to remove all risk from football just pack up, go home and end it as a sport now. That will make some people very happy.
We will see how it goes moving forward. I hope they play. Can’t see them making it thru the season but we shall see soon enough.

But, we do have methods and medications to treat the flu that were not available, initially. And the flu vaccines do work for most people. I get my flu shots routinely. So far, so good. If you are not wearing the proper masks or wearing a mask at all, you are foolish.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back