• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

P2 flexing their muscles

Above is a website that details the breakout financially for the athletic programs at Nebraska. Three sports actually generate a net profit: Football, men's basketball, and women's volleyball. Every other sport at minimum loses over $600k.

One could argue they lose this much money, simply because the money is there for them to be allowed to lose that much (since the school still generates a net positive). Could you operate the women's bowling program on a lot less than $700k? Probably. Would you be able to drive the expenses low enough for them to be profitable? Probably not.

That is the ultimate fear in all of this. If football gets their "fair share", is there enough money for everyone else? Devil's advocate would also ask why football players should have to pay the price for every other athlete?
It's not a fear imo, it's reality.

There are lots of schools that don't make enough in football, after the P2 breakoff, to continue any varsity sports. They will drop all sports and go club.

Edit. Keep in mind the bowling team is losing 700k right now, imagine if they have to pay the players as employees.

Last edited:

It's not a fear imo, it's reality.

There are lots of schools that don't make enough in football, after the P2 breakoff, to continue any varsity sports. They will drop all sports and go club.

Edit. Keep in mind the bowling team is losing 700k right now, imagine if they have to pay the players as employees.
Again, I think some of their expenses are probably inflated because there is money available for them to spend. Tighten up the purse strings and it you could likely do it for quite a bit less (still nowhere near profitable).

I don't think anyone wants to do away with these other sports, but you are right, the cash flow is going to make it where it is difficult, if not impossible to keep them going. It's why the government will need to either pass legislation that keeps that from happening OR the government (or someone else) will have to heavily subsidize those sports.

Complete hypothetical.....but other than complete brand/school loyalty, how long before fans gravitate toward the lower levels to watch College and not Pro lite?

Complete hypothetical.....but other than complete brand/school loyalty, how long before fans gravitate toward the lower levels to watch College and not Pro lite?

I don't think that will happen.

The vast majority of college football fans I know are 'Team' loyalty first, second is/was conference loyalty. I'm always going to be a Nebraska fan first. I pay attention to several other programs, but not consistently or religiously.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back