• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked [OWH] Spring cleaning: What we’ve learned about the Huskers so far (Sam McKewon)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get a kick out of people saying it's too early to tell, then saying it's a two-man race that Armstrong has already won. I will concede that apparently Bush and Armstrong are in the lead, but I bet the coaches haven't given up on the other two. And here's why: Not only can a lot happen the rest of of Spring, guys who are willing to put in the time, can show major improvement between the end of Spring practice and the beginning of Fall practice.

I believe so much of what's going on is mental. Everyone is learning a new offense, which evens the playing field quite a bit, though Armstrong's game experience, even in a different offense, does give him the edge. However, because it's mental, the other qbs can make up a lot of ground after Spring practice by learning the offense better and working on the flaws in their games, as pointed out to them by Langsdorf and Riley. Come the start of Fall practice the coaches will give huge points to those two areas. The player who learns the offense the best, and the player who shows the most improvement on his individual flaws. Given everything we've been able to read, that might indicate that Armstrong is in the lead, and is likely to give it up to Bush by the opening game.

Concerning the confidence issue, I've seen kids go both ways. They never get over it and disappear. Or some light goes on and years later you read the story about the summer something clicked or something someone's dad or grandmother or coach said that turned it around.

Great post

I was dedicated to reading this whole thread and it isnt something i specialize in

to me it All comes down to the line blocking well, they do, and any of the RB look good, QB's have time make better decisions.
That being said you have to have the best athletes on on field and are able to make plays. I just us to dominate again

True. But if the line isn't dominant it's critical that the QB is able to hit the quick throws accurately, be it slants, bubble screens, IB screens/flare. I'm hopeful that our "undedicated" QB coach will help our QBs improve in this area. :)

I'm not sure what other people meant when they talked about us not having a "dedicated QB coach" last year with Beck, but when I said it, what I meant was that we didn't have someone that was dedicated to coaching that position that knew what they were doing or that was their specialty. Go look at Tim Beck's coaching history, up until he got to Nebraska, he wasn't coaching QBs. He was coaching LBs, WRs, RBs, then when he took over the OC position, he all of a sudden was a QB coach. I actually want the offensive coordinator to be teaching the QBs, that's what you should do. But don't have a dude that has never coached it before all of a sudden thrust into that roll. Then you go look at Danny Langsdorf, and all he has done almost the entirety of his coaching career is coach QBs. Really the only time he hadn't is when he was trying to break into the NFL, and that was only a 2 or 3 year span, every other year he was coaching QBs.

That's what we need, I actually prefer the QB coach to be the OC. Have him spending the maximum amount of time with your distributor so they know what we are trying to exploit from week to week and what we want to attack...

The best scenario, in my opinion, is for the OC to also coach the QB. The guy who creates the game plan, based on film study, opponent's tendencies, his own team's strengths/weaknesses, personnel matchups, etc. should be working with the guy who has to have the firmest grasp of the plan.

As far as the starter at QB for next season, reasonable people understand that while no decisions have (likely) been made, eight practices can tell a coach a lot about a player's abilities, talents, leadership skills, confidence level, etc. And while I will grant that TA can play the "experience" card, I'm not sure how big of a factor that will be when the depth chart is finally released. You pick the guy that gives you the best chance of winning, based on a myriad of criteria, but experience is but a small part of it, if any. I am not advocating for a particular guy, but I don't pay too much attention to experience (simply for experience sake).

True. But if the line isn't dominant it's critical that the QB is able to hit the quick throws accurately, be it slants, bubble screens, IB screens/flare. I'm hopeful that our "undedicated" QB coach will help our QBs improve in this area. :)

It's a balance, everyone needs to do their part on each play. If play breaks down I agree, we need a QB who can think on the fly make an athletic move and get us out of a bad situation and make great decisions. All that happens with teaching and coaching

I get a kick out of people saying it's too early to tell, then saying it's a two-man race that Armstrong has already won. I will concede that apparently Bush and Armstrong are in the lead, but I bet the coaches haven't given up on the other two. And here's why: Not only can a lot happen the rest of of Spring, guys who are willing to put in the time, can show major improvement between the end of Spring practice and the beginning of Fall practice.

I believe so much of what's going on is mental. Everyone is learning a new offense, which evens the playing field quite a bit, though Armstrong's game experience, even in a different offense, does give him the edge. However, because it's mental, the other qbs can make up a lot of ground after Spring practice by learning the offense better and working on the flaws in their games, as pointed out to them by Langsdorf and Riley. Come the start of Fall practice the coaches will give huge points to those two areas. The player who learns the offense the best, and the player who shows the most improvement on his individual flaws. Given everything we've been able to read, that might indicate that Armstrong is in the lead, and is likely to give it up to Bush by the opening game.

Concerning the confidence issue, I've seen kids go both ways. They never get over it and disappear. Or some light goes on and years later you read the story about the summer something clicked or something someone's dad or grandmother or coach said that turned it around.

I get what you're getting at but disagree with your singular argument - that it's all mental. Of course it's mental to a large degree, due to a new offense being implemented -- new terminology, reads, footwork, etc. you're assuming they are all equally talented QB's - they aren't, IMO.

Those behind TA were given the gift of hitting the RESET button -- Starting from scratch after losing the competition the 1st time. It's quite a stretch to assume the coaches have "given up" on anyone. Certainly, some have shown the ability to compete on the fly and posess the ability to transfer what's being coached to on the field results - I call them "one time guys". By all accounts Bush is a one time guy with tremendous athleticism -- TA has the experience -- the others are still in the game. Not worth making straw man arguments for so-and-so at this point. The gift of the RESET button once all evaluation is done should appease the most vocal critics of those within the program.

I would advise those that end up #3 & #4 (whoever that is) to graduate early then transfer without penalty rather than bolting now because they think they deserve another evaluation from another set of eyes -- reality will eventually have to set in.

I wish all of them the best regardless of how this competition turns out. GBR

I'm not sure how much improvement our "un-dedicated" QB coach can get out of a QB if that QB lacks confidence!

Last edited:

It's nice to hear how one of the writers is seeing how things are playing out to some degree. I'm sure if we were to take all of the opinions of all of the people who see practice daily, we'd probably get a pretty complete story. But it still has me wondering if they would be the same as in the eyes of Langsdorf or Riley? I had a friend tell in his opinion, it's going to boil down to if the reward exceeds the risk in choosing a QB. His opinion, which is probably as useless as Sam's or anyone else's, is the higher reward is probably Bush, but that is definitely a risk. It's a risk that if things start slowly, some fans will use that as justification for their less than excited attitude with the hiring. It's also a risk that it can be a strain on the team. The older players and those with a history with TA might not be as supportive if a young kid comes in and doesn't shine immediately, putting their former leader on the bench.

It's really a crap shoot, and is why I'm glad we have some well paid guys making that decision. I'm a little disappointed we haven't really heard much about Darlington, as he seemed like a solid player who in the right situation, could be an asset. Stanton from what I'm told has the tools. He's got decent feet, a good arm, can throw with touch, but is struggling between the ears. By that I don't mean a lack of knowledge of the playbook (which is common for all the QBs), but a lack of confidence in reading and pulling the trigger. Fyfe is a bit of the same; they look, they see, they pause and think, and then try to make the throw...that's the problem. Bush seems to be a little better at that. He seems like while he's done that same thing, once the coaches explain the read and timing, he comes back with it without the hitch from the hesitation. TA, I honestly don't know, because we don't really know when those spasms started. For those who have had the pleasure, you know the thought of moving freely, much less throwing a football, seems all but impossible. His just giving it a go is pretty admirable.

Just touching on the comment on do we want a player who may have had his confidence shaken because that may be a sign of weakness, of course we do and it's human nature to need some time to recover from a bruised ego. There was a guy who played basketball at Nebraska in the early 80s who I kind of became friends with. He averaged over 30 a game in high school and was 'Mr. Everything in his state. When Moe started to work his magic on him, yanking him after any missed shot, telling him not to shoot during practice, he looked like he wasn't even sure how to hold the ball by the time he was a junior. I played in some leagues and AAU tournaments with him, and the guy was a complete stud, great perimeter stroke, could drive and pull up as well. I didn't know about his high school stats and only knew him for what I saw during Husker games, so I was kind of teasing him for going all Walter Davis on us and lighting up the tourney. He told me that's what it always used to be like. Then he explained it had really gotten into his head being yanked for any missed shot, having Moe not speak to him if he'd shoot, just basically being told he was kind of a second class citizen on the roster. The guy went on to play some ball in Europe and was known as an excellent scorer there.

Coaches can have immense impact on a player, both positive and negative. It doesn't mean a player is 'weak'. Players can respond very differently to different coaching styles. I'm really excited about the second half of practices. Hopefully we'll start to see the new system being absorbed and starting to mesh on the field.

Maybe we are in agreement and don't know it. Here's my direct quote: I believe so much of what's going on is mental. Note I did't say, its ALL mental. Now here's your opening comment. First you misquote me as saying ALL, then go on to say of course its mental to a large degree. Isn't that what I said? then you go on to say that I was assuming they are all equal. Again, something I didn't say or even imply. Please, read what someone says before making assumptions about them, and directly misquoting them as well.

I get what you're getting at but disagree with your singular argument - that it's all mental. Of course it's mental to a large degree, due to a new offense being implemented -- new terminology, reads, footwork, etc. you're assuming they are all equally talented QB's - they aren't, IMO.

I obviously haven't met Stanton, so I don't know for sure by any means, but from his quotes and articles (like the one saying the coaches said he was pressing and "almost trying to hard"), and the picture of him laying down on the bench in the horse's head after the basket ball loss to Wisconsin, I was beginning to wonder if he is a skilled guy and a nice guy but with maybe a little less confidence and will to dominate than his competitors. McKewon saying this kind of isn't surprising to me, and might explain why he was so highly rated but hasn't made a dent here yet.

Tommy if he is around - which he probably will be - will also probably be the season starter. But it's also true that since he is the current king of the hill, people will believe he will stay there until all of a sudden he isn't, if that happens.

Love to see that pic. Got it by chance?

I'm not sure what other people meant when they talked about us not having a "dedicated QB coach" last year with Beck, but when I said it, what I meant was that we didn't have someone that was dedicated to coaching that position that knew what they were doing or that was their specialty. Go look at Tim Beck's coaching history, up until he got to Nebraska, he wasn't coaching QBs. He was coaching LBs, WRs, RBs, then when he took over the OC position, he all of a sudden was a QB coach. I actually want the offensive coordinator to be teaching the QBs, that's what you should do. But don't have a dude that has never coached it before all of a sudden thrust into that roll. Then you go look at Danny Langsdorf, and all he has done almost the entirety of his coaching career is coach QBs. Really the only time he hadn't is when he was trying to break into the NFL, and that was only a 2 or 3 year span, every other year he was coaching QBs.

That's what we need, I actually prefer the QB coach to be the OC. Have him spending the maximum amount of time with your distributor so they know what we are trying to exploit from week to week and what we want to attack...

:nod:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back