• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked OWH article on the SEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlin' Husker

Recruit
5 Year Member
So I read that OMW article on how the SEC ascended to football supremacy. The impression that I got is that most of the advantages that got the SEC to where they are now, have evaporated. Other conferences have their networks and exposure, the money is becoming comparable in other leagues, the exposure is comparable or better, people care just as much in the B1G and the Big XII.

Do you guys think that the general quality of recruits in the South, plus the momentum of the last 6 years, will mean that SEC supremacy will basically continue? Or do you guys think that these things will balance out, because of TV contracts and an overall frustration on the part of everyone in other conferences (with the exception of the PAC 12)

I personally think that the athletes who have been successful at Northern schools ought to build a bunch of indoor tracks and football field facilities for kids all over the North. If kids had year round track and field, as well as 7 on 7 in the North, I think it would help keep some of them out of trouble, and it would also develop speed faster. Someone should see if Ndamukong Suh, Tom Brady, Kellen Moore, Drew Brees and others might try to build such facilities and create endowments to staff them.

FL, Texas, CA and the south in general is loaded with people and therefore, athletes. The real advantage the SEC has has over the last 6-10 years has been over signing. If the NCAA evens the playing field the talent will spread out. Some will move to other SEC teams but some will filter to the rest of the upper echelon teams. Stocking talent by over signing is a real weapon...not to mention these teams are really picking from 120 kids every 4 years vs. the 85-90 that most teams work with. OSU is a prime example...119 signed in the last 4 years...and not surprising that they are better, much better. Football is a numbers game and the SEC has been taking advantage of the numbers for awhile now.

FL, Texas, CA and the south in general is loaded with people and therefore, athletes. The real advantage the SEC has has over the last 6-10 years has been over signing. If the NCAA evens the playing field the talent will spread out. Some will move to other SEC teams but some will filter to the rest of the upper echelon teams. Stocking talent by over signing is a real weapon...not to mention these teams are really picking from 120 kids every 4 years vs. the 85-90 that most teams work with. OSU is a prime example...119 signed in the last 4 years...and not surprising that they are better, much better. Football is a numbers game and the SEC has been taking advantage of the numbers for awhile now.

The NCAA will be limiting signing numbers, and instituting 4 year scholarships in addition to one year scholarships. The SEC schools will have to decide which athletes they offer a four year schollie or risk losing the athlete to another school. They will still push the limits by cutting kids with just one year scholarships, as they will know feel more justified than ever in doing so. They will also continue to push nonperformers into medical scholarships. I imagine they will find a way to sign 25 kids each year.

The NCAA will be limiting signing numbers, and instituting 4 year scholarships in addition to one year scholarships. The SEC schools will have to decide which athletes they offer a four year schollie or risk losing the athlete to another school. They will still push the limits by cutting kids with just one year scholarships, as they will know feel more justified than ever in doing so. They will also continue to push nonperformers into medical scholarships. I imagine they will find a way to sign 25 kids each year.

If the NCAA can successfully limit oversigning, I think the SEC loses a huge advantage. I'm hoping it happens, and the SEC schools can't cheat their way around the rules. Oh, wait, we're talking about SEC schools. Oh well.

I agree with eyesonNU. The NCAA is limiting "oversigning", but they aren't doing anything about running kids off. So they will continue to sign up to the limit each year after they dispose of dead weight.

The medical scholarship is a real loophole as well. You need to allow it for legitimate purposes, but it needs to be tightened up so its not just another way to stockpile athletes.

The excuse used to be that kids (or studs ;) ) preferred to play in places like California or Florida, so it was easier for teams in those areas to recruit. But how do you explain the desire of kids to play in exotic locations like Lousiana and Alabama? :confused:

The excuse used to be that kids (or studs ;) ) preferred to play in places like California or Florida, so it was easier for teams in those areas to recruit. But how do you explain the desire of kids to play in exotic locations like Lousiana and Alabama? :confused:

Rednecks and roadkill.

Girls.

58 of the players on Alabama's current roster are from Alabama.
79 players on LSU's current roster are from Louisiana.

Those kids weren't looking for somewhere exotic to play and go to college, they were looking to stay close to home.

The pay is better?

The thing that will finally start to shoot these SEC teams in the butt is that there will be many quality guys who are only offered the one year deal where other schools will offer them a 4 year scholarship without question. Those kids should choose to go to a school offering them a 4 years deal over a one year deal. That said, if they are smart, they will do that, but it might take time before it really becomes apparent that most kids will be wasting their time going on a one year deal only to be cut because they don't produce in that one year or (more likely) simply because there is a newer shiny athlete out there that coaches want more.

SEC schools will also still strike out on guys they offer the 4 year deal to. It will do a lot to cut out the advatange the SEC has. Still, it will take time for things to even out more so. I'd say 6-10 years before the rest of the nation really notices the results on the field. That will also be because these SEC teams will push kids out in every other way possible.

I don't care if a team runs a few guys off every now and again, I understand if you tell a kid, "hey bro, you can stay here and you are still entitled to the schollie, but you aren't going to play, and I'd be happy to help you find a place where you will." I think that's much different then sending a letter in the mail that a guys scholarship has not been renewed sent mid-summer.

I'm wondering if that is truly enough of an advantage that it will balance the leagues out in years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back