• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Overthinking Overtime

AP
It is broken or they wouldn't be thinking about it. If you reject the premises that 1. there is something inherently wrong with a tie and 2. current and proposed overtime remotely resemble football, the solution is easy: drop overtime altogether and accept that sometimes there is no clear winner.

The 2-point shootout idea is absurd. If you insist on overtime, play an extra 6 or 8 minute quarter. The score at the end of the 5th quarter stands, even if in a tie.

So starting alternate possessions from the opponent's 25 yard line isnt a subset of the game?
Sounds like you need to rethink your argument

Please read the OP, which I have quoted here. Hopefully, you will see that I don't advocated for alternate possessions from the opponent's 25 yard line.

Follow NHL lead and go with 7 on 7 for OT.

Timed period with both teams getting a possession, after second teams possession if still a tie the next leader gets the win.

C

Well, I don't like sudden death. The new NFL rules make it better, but still it's not a fair way to determine a winner.

I also don't like when OT is too different from the game (like everyone starts on the 25). And it doesn't seem right after about 5 OTs when it becomes a game of attrition. So here's my proposal:

1st OT: same as today, start from opponents' 25.
2nd OT: New coin toss, start at opponents' 35 (coin toss winner can select O or D).
3rd OT: New coin toss, winner gets choice of kicking off or receiving. Play an 8-minute "quarter" with normal scrimmage rules. During regular season, if it's still a tie, game ends in a tie. During playoffs, I dunno, just flip a coin and let the pollsters determine a winner... (that's where my plan breaks down).

I just wish OT in CFB would start possessions at the 40-45 yard line. They have to make teams at least get a 1st down to even try a FG. The 25 yard line is just not a good starting point to make OT last more than 1 or 2 possessions each. If they do decide to keep it at the 25 yard line, then revise it so that teams have to go for 2 point conversions if they score a TD right from the get-go. My preference though is to just start possessions at the 40-45 yard line.

However don't let the FACTS get in the way of your argument.........

NFL Regular Season (110 OT games):

• Wins by team that possesses the ball first: 52 (47.3%)
    • Of these wins, 18 were on an opening drive TD (34.6% of team with first possession wins, 16.4% overall overtime games)
  • Wins by team that possesses the ball second: 51 (46.4%)
  • Ties: 7 (6.4%)
It's statistically meaningless when there is a 1% difference between which team wins the toss and which team wins. A man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest...........

You had me at "Statistics are meaningless'. :Biggrin:

So lets do this in boxing. After a hard fought draw - Boxer one gets to punch the other guy in the face as hard as he can while he stands still. If he does not get knocked out, or weathers the standing 8 count, he gets to hit the other guy. But if he does not get up - boxer "A" wins. You and I are playing poker. We both end the hand with a pair of jacks. So we draw for winner. I go first. If I draw a face card, you lose automatically. No one wants to compete on a level field for an entire game - to a draw - then let an outcome be subject to chance or an unequal field. It matters not that statistics show teams with the ball first were unable to leverage the advantage when they had it. Its an advantage regardless. And that advantage is not warranted.

Hugs and kisses:Corn2:

Follow NHL lead and go with 7 on 7 for OT.

Timed period with both teams getting a possession, after second teams possession if still a tie the next leader gets the win.

C

Tanner Lee would have lit up OT if it was 7 on 7.

Sorry. That wasn't called for.

Give each team a chance at ( 1 ) possesion....via kickoff.

TD beats a FG. FG beats a safety......you get my point.

No one scores?

Bring out your sister and give her a kiss.

Last edited:

Well, I don't like sudden death. The new NFL rules make it better, but still it's not a fair way to determine a winner.

I also don't like when OT is too different from the game (like everyone starts on the 25). And it doesn't seem right after about 5 OTs when it becomes a game of attrition. So here's my proposal:

1st OT: same as today, start from opponents' 25.
2nd OT: New coin toss, start at opponents' 35 (coin toss winner can select O or D).
3rd OT: New coin toss, winner gets choice of kicking off or receiving. Play an 8-minute "quarter" with normal scrimmage rules. During regular season, if it's still a tie, game ends in a tie. During playoffs, I dunno, just flip a coin and let the pollsters determine a winner... (that's where my plan breaks down).
UGH! sorry but I don't like that idea much. I thought you were heading toward an idea that I think would have some merit:
1st OT - each team gets a possession starting at mid-field
2nd OT -each team gets a possession starting at the 25 yard line
3rd OT - each team gets a possession starting from the 10 yard line
*4th OT plus - repeat from the 10 yard line until there is a winner.

*an alternative for the 4th+ OT is to start at the 2 or 3 yard line getting only 1 play to score a TD (no FG's).

NOTE; Both teams play the same direction (selected by coin toss) and they never change to the opposite side.

Last edited:
If only the Saints had won the toss, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm a Vikings fan and remember Brett Favre not getting the ball in the NFC Championship game. Somehow I got over it and Chiefs fans will too

You had me at "Statistics are meaningless'. :Biggrin:

So lets do this in boxing. After a hard fought draw - Boxer one gets to punch the other guy in the face as hard as he can while he stands still. If he does not get knocked out, or weathers the standing 8 count, he gets to hit the other guy. But if he does not get up - boxer "A" wins. You and I are playing poker. We both end the hand with a pair of jacks. So we draw for winner. I go first. If I draw a face card, you lose automatically. No one wants to compete on a level field for an entire game - to a draw - then let an outcome be subject to chance or an unequal field. It matters not that statistics show teams with the ball first were unable to leverage the advantage when they had it. Its an advantage regardless. And that advantage is not warranted.

Hugs and kisses:Corn2:
Since the stats CLEARLY show there is NO statistical advantage to winning the coin toss how do you come to the conclusion it's an advantage?

Logic and math show it's NOT an advantage but then a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest...... Have a wonderful day..........

It's the difference between having an advantage and taking advantage of it. Why do college teams elect to go on defense first on OT? They are both going to get the ball? Why do NFL teams take the ball first when they win the toss? Because it enables an advantage, but that advantage has to be seized/executed. One the other team will not have. Have the last word ct. Have a great day as well.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back