• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Our Passing Game is Terrible

It does make me wonder what the deficiencies are with the freshman we brought in. Is it that they physically aren't ready or mentally not ready? My feeling is a lot of it is probably the mental side. There is a lot for young guys to take on when they come into college football. College offenses have a lot more complexity than high school ones generally do. We've already seen issues where guys get in and are in the wrong spot or go the wrong direction. I agree, I'd like to see some of them in action and see if they can help stretch the field, but you also have to avoid scenarios where a mistake leads to a turnover/penalty.

Rhule I think is playing the long game with these guys. Rather than panic and throw a guy out there before he is ready, truly give them a chance to succeed. Build up their confidence in the offense, and most importantly, make them earn playing time by what they do, not based solely on their athletic ability. When you allow guys who have always been way more athletic than everyone else, continue to lean on that as a crutch, you limit their potential.
That's why Rhule's teams have struggled in the first season of his tenure's. He brings in raw talent from HS who won't be immediate contributors but that he can mold to be great players down the road. We have a lot of those guys that are not there yet but could be next season or year three. Then once those ones from this season are developed, he keeps stuffing his recruiting classes with those types of players and you reload them season by season. Theoretically

That's why Rhule's teams have struggled in the first season of his tenure's. He brings in raw talent from HS who won't be immediate contributors but that he can mold to be great players down the road. We have a lot of those guys that are not there yet but could be next season or year three. Then once those ones from this season are developed, he keeps stuffing his recruiting classes with those types of players and you reload them season by season. Theoretically
I think it is definitely a culture building move. It would be easy to turn someone out there based solely on potential, but these guys are more than a one season project. Many of these guys are four or five year guys. While winning now is important, putting the building blocks in place to win later is the ultimate goal.

You have to have a passing game to be terrible. We need to go 100% 80's option football but I don't think we have the depth at RB.

There's a reason nobody but the service academies run the option and they haven't won anything in decades. The 1980s option will not work in the 21st century. Defenders are too fast. Top HS athletes don't want to play in it (not to mention most HS don't run it.). You want Rhule to try to recruit Big Ten capable athletes by selling the option?? He'd be laughed at.

Osborne evolved over his career. If he were still coaching he'd have evolved even more. He'd be running the spread option. If Rhule actually intends for the QB he recruited for this class to eventually become a starter, he's definitely not running the spread option or anything like it.

Last edited:

Clearly not trust worthy enough to take the field more than a couple of plays.

As HCMR says every week. We play the guys who practice the best that week. There have been many concerns floated about Malachi, although it appears things may be changing on that front. Fleeks was a guy they took a flyer on to provide veteran depth, plus they thought they knew the kid. Then he shows up fat, clearly demonstrating that football was not the most important thing to him. As for Bonner, he's truly an H-back type, , not an inline TE or a traditional FB. Only so much he can contribute in that role, especially with the two guys he has in front of him who should be on the field.
Chi will be hard to bring out all his athleticism and apply it. He's very raw. But seeing his development will tell us a lot about our wr coach and this staff to a degree.

It does make me wonder what the deficiencies are with the freshman we brought in. Is it that they physically aren't ready or mentally not ready? My feeling is a lot of it is probably the mental side. There is a lot for young guys to take on when they come into college football. College offenses have a lot more complexity than high school ones generally do. We've already seen issues where guys get in and are in the wrong spot or go the wrong direction. I agree, I'd like to see some of them in action and see if they can help stretch the field, but you also have to avoid scenarios where a mistake leads to a turnover/penalty.

Rhule I think is playing the long game with these guys. Rather than panic and throw a guy out there before he is ready, truly give them a chance to succeed. Build up their confidence in the offense, and most importantly, make them earn playing time by what they do, not based solely on their athletic ability. When you allow guys who have always been way more athletic than everyone else, continue to lean on that as a crutch, you limit their potential.
I agree. You always hear some guys can't transition from super great HS player to decent, good or great college player. IMO, this hits the WRs the most, and mostly because its both physical and mental.

The physical part isn't some they can do a lot about but only adapt to, unlike every other position where a rb can hit a guy, no set pattern to run and cut when he can type of thing.
Learning to get off the line and finding seams and using your body against bigger players wasn't ever needed in HS.

How soon people forget that some of the best Husker teams were lucky to pass for over 100 yards. And before you blast me and remind me that they typically ran for 400-500 yards; they built o-lines, retained coaches, didn't have the transfer portal, and committed almost exclusively to the run game.
We are in yet another transition year. We all knew the 0-line stank, we all knew we didn't have a deep threat at WR and we all knew Sims may not pan out. Ok, not all of us, but some.
Under the circumstances, I am somewhat impressed and dare I say even optimistic. I like most of the coaching staff and think Rhule will be the real deal. I love the defense. This team should be 3-1 and some would argue 4-0. But we aren't. This team is going bowling this year. Bet on it.

Why don't our 4* O linemen coming out of high school develop like their 4* high school O linemen teammates that go anywhere else?

I agree. You always hear some guys can't transition from super great HS player to decent, good or great college player. IMO, this hits the WRs the most, and mostly because its both physical and mental.

The physical part isn't some they can do a lot about but only adapt to, unlike every other position where a rb can hit a guy, no set pattern to run and cut when he can type of thing.
Learning to get off the line and finding seams and using your body against bigger players wasn't ever needed in HS.
The vast majority of guys playing P5 ball on Saturdays were the best player on the field in most games they played in high school. For some, it takes a really long time to realize there is more to football than just being fast, tall, strong. Some guys never learn that lesson, which is why you see high-star recruits not amount to anything. There are a few exceptions who can walk in day 1 and make an impact, but most have to figure things out.

One other note about the passing game and offense in general: Nebraska has lost numerous players since spring who were expected to contribute.
-Zavier Betts quit football in August
-Isaiah Garcia-Castaneda injured at Minnesota and out for the season
-Gabe Ervin injured against N. Illinois and out for the season
-Rahmir Johnson injured against N. Illinois and out for the season
-Arik Gilbert out for non-football reasons
-Ajay Allen transferred to Miami

Losing all of these guys has exposed the lack of depth the team had in pass catchers coming into this year. Hope the Kemp, Fidone, and the freshmen can step up.

The vast majority of guys playing P5 ball on Saturdays were the best player on the field in most games they played in high school. For some, it takes a really long time to realize there is more to football than just being fast, tall, strong. Some guys never learn that lesson, which is why you see high-star recruits not amount to anything. There are a few exceptions who can walk in day 1 and make an impact, but most have to figure things out.
And even amongst the few who can figure it out, some ringers come in never skipping a beat because they still are the biggest fastest strongest.

WR was our last guy like that, and he was misused and wasn't featured properly, but thats because of the system and a few other decisions.

But still imo, when you hear terms like wrs and rbs are a dime a dozen I tend to think its harder for a rb to become more unlike a wr and goes back to wrs have a tougher time mentally adjusting.

RBs have to learn you don't take everything wide and outrun everyone, wrs have to sit down, follow their qb, recognize a zone vs man and still play at the level you came in with.
Pass pro, another buggaboo for RBs, yet smaller potatoes compared to recognizing a coverage and altering your route imo.

And even amongst the few who can figure it out, some ringers come in never skipping a beat because they still are the biggest fastest strongest.

WR was our last guy like that, and he was misused and wasn't featured properly, but thats because of the system and a few other decisions.

But still imo, when you hear terms like wrs and rbs are a dime a dozen I tend to think its harder for a rb to become more unlike a wr and goes back to wrs have a tougher time mentally adjusting.

RBs have to learn you don't take everything wide and outrun everyone, wrs have to sit down, follow their qb, recognize a zone vs man and still play at the level you came in with.
Pass pro, another buggaboo for RBs, yet smaller potatoes compared to recognizing a coverage and altering your route imo.
Who is that? Wan'Dale?

He's probably the best who has walked in the door as a freshman, at least in a while. But he is more of the exception than the rule.
Yes, an exception amongst exceptions as previously said. Rare for guys learning and playing year one at a decent level, but then there's the Wandales

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks