• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Our new DC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, there are only a few scenarios where as I could justify promoting John Papuchis rather than hiring a guy like Mike Stoops. The first positive being that it is always a good move having your coordinators be your best recruiters, which Papuchis and Beck clearly are. Bo Pelini sells the program to recruits, but Beck and Papuchis sell the systems they would be apart of. In this regard, it would be a huge positive.

The other philosophy would be to go out and hire a top-flight recruiting coach/coordinator. In my personal opinion, when a coach puts a staff together, his most important hires are his offensive and defensive coordinators (obviously) and his strength coach. After those core three, without a doubt, the next in line is the recruiting coordinator. I feel he should be the highest paid position coach on the staff. He is entrusted in feeding the lifeline of the program; finding the talent to sustain a great program for consecutive years. In essence, he allows a team to reload, not rebuild.

If Papuchis is promoted, I assume Vince Marrow or TJ Hollowell would be added to the Husker staff. While I feel both could be good additions, I would look to aim higher and find someone who is proven and has a reputation and resume for recruiting and coordinating the task.

I would personally make a call to recently fired Memphis coach, Larry Porter. Porter is widely regarded as one of the top handful of recruiters in the country. His ties to the SEC would be a huge benefit. He is a RB coach, so I could then see moving Ron Brown back to coaching the TEs and keep Garrison's focus soley on the OL with Cotton.

Pelini has no ties to Porter, thus it is basically a pipe-dream that he or anyone else would be lured from a current position to take over similar responsibilities at Nebraska. Maybe its the NFL structure in me, but I see no reason a coach would need a prior background with a position coach. I would simply identify the best, and go pay him to work his magic for my team.

Along with Porter, some other guys who I would target and offer a raise/title upgrade to are:

Ed Orgerson, USC
Rodney Garner, Georgia
Larry Johnson, Penn State
Trooper Taylor, Auburn
Tosh Lupoi, Cal
Tommy Thigpen, Auburn
Eddie Gran, Florida State
Don Pellum, Oregon
Clint Hurtt, Louisville
Stan Drayton, Ohio State
Billy Gonzales. LSU
Josh Henson, Missouri
Joe DeForest, Oklahoma State

Fair list, I would like to see a shot at Kevin Steele, but I just dont think he would leave his current dig. He's kinda got a good thing going on there.

Not too mention out of your list, I would really like to see LJ Sr. get an interview if the process isnt over.

Not too mention out of your list, I would really like to see LJ Sr. get an interview if the process isnt over.

Agreed. Larry Johnson is a very good DL coach and ace recruiter. Johnson was named Rivals.com's 'Recruiter of the Year' in 2006, and named one of the top 25 recruiters of 2009. Also been favorably mentioned by ESPN's recruiting staff the past few years. He is likely a Free Agent (so to speak) with the turmoil in Penn State. I could see him coming and being co-DL coach like Carl and Papuchis were. He could also take over the special teams role (he has experience coaching it) and the recruiting coordinator slot.

On the rumor front, the names I have seen thrown out for defensive coordinator (besides Mike Stoops and Papuchis) are Mark Stoops (DC at Florida State), Ron Zook and Tom Bradley. Any would be good pickups. Mark Stoops obviously has Pelini ties, as does Ron Zook.

I have a feeling Papuchis is going to get the gig, which I think is unfortunate, simply because I dont see Pelini following my previous scenario and attracting a top-flight recruiting coordinator to replace JP.

The guy I really like on that list (other than Ed Orgeron and Rodney Garner) is Tosh Lupoi. Only 30 and in only in his 5th year coaching DL at Cal (his alma mater). But in those first 4-years, has already been named 2010 Rivals Recruiter of the Year, 2011 Scout.com's Pac-10 recruiter of the year, and named a top 25 recruiter by Rivals (2011) and ESPN ('09, '10, '11). Stock arrow is way up with this guy!

The guy I really like on that list (other than Ed Orgeron and Rodney Garner) is Tosh Lupoi. Only 30 and in only in his 5th year coaching DL at Cal (his alma mater). But in those first 4-years, has already been named 2010 Rivals Recruiter of the Year, 2011 Scout.com's Pac-10 recruiter of the year, and named a top 25 recruiter by Rivals (2011) and ESPN ('09, '10, '11). Stock arrow is way up with this guy!

Thanks for all of your insight.

I hope we stay away from Orgeron, he seems to have trouble follow him (not quite as bad as Blake, but a 'poor-man's version' of him).

Anyone have an idea of what a good coordinator goes for these days? Carl was making $350,000 last I saw. He's getting a bump up to $450,000 as the coach at FAU.

Great list of names...a number of these coaches are on bowl teams, wonder if we will have to play the bowl game dance (not being able to interview until after their bowl game)

John Papuchis (Jo-Pa?) ;) ... GREAT recruiter with a lot of potential.

Els has special teams coaching experience, could take that responsibility from JP.

I'm not convinced a QB coach/recruiting coordinator wouldn't be most beneficial.... but a DLine coach seems to be a must.

Last edited:

Els has special teams coaching experience, could take that responsibility from JP.

I'm not convinced a QB coach/recruiting coordinator wouldn't be most beneficial.... but a DLine coach seems to be a must.

Insert Larry Johnson Sr and I would be ok with Bo going with JP.

Agreed. Larry Johnson is a very good DL coach and ace recruiter. Johnson was named Rivals.com's 'Recruiter of the Year' in 2006, and named one of the top 25 recruiters of 2009. Also been favorably mentioned by ESPN's recruiting staff the past few years. He is likely a Free Agent (so to speak) with the turmoil in Penn State. I could see him coming and being co-DL coach like Carl and Papuchis were. He could also take over the special teams role (he has experience coaching it) and the recruiting coordinator slot.

On the rumor front, the names I have seen thrown out for defensive coordinator (besides Mike Stoops and Papuchis) are Mark Stoops (DC at Florida State), Ron Zook and Tom Bradley. Any would be good pickups. Mark Stoops obviously has Pelini ties, as does Ron Zook.

I have a feeling Papuchis is going to get the gig, which I think is unfortunate, simply because I dont see Pelini following my previous scenario and attracting a top-flight recruiting coordinator to replace JP.

I hope you are wrong for once. I feel that will severely hurt NU and trying to keep up with a Big 10 that seems to me to be on the upswing but we shall see. Thanks for your insight!

If the new coach were to be a QB coach/recruiting coordinator, I would look at David Reaves at New Mexico. He is the Offensive Coordinator and QB coach there, but I am sure he would be making more as a position coach for Nebraska. He has SEC experience from his time at Tennessee and South Carolina under Steve Spurrier, where he was his recruiting coordinator.

If the new coach were to be a QB coach/recruiting coordinator, I would look at David Reaves at New Mexico. He is the Offensive Coordinator and QB coach there, but I am sure he would be making more as a position coach for Nebraska. He has SEC experience from his time at Tennessee and South Carolina under Steve Spurrier, where he was his recruiting coordinator.

good choice, although I was wondering about more of a dual threat/option QB mentor.

Honestly, there are only a few scenarios where as I could justify promoting John Papuchis rather than hiring a guy like Mike Stoops. The first positive being that it is always a good move having your coordinators be your best recruiters, which Papuchis and Beck clearly are. Bo Pelini sells the program to recruits, but Beck and Papuchis sell the systems they would be apart of. In this regard, it would be a huge positive.

The other philosophy would be to go out and hire a top-flight recruiting coach/coordinator. In my personal opinion, when a coach puts a staff together, his most important hires are his offensive and defensive coordinators (obviously) and his strength coach. After those core three, without a doubt, the next in line is the recruiting coordinator. I feel he should be the highest paid position coach on the staff. He is entrusted in feeding the lifeline of the program; finding the talent to sustain a great program for consecutive years. In essence, he allows a team to reload, not rebuild.

If Papuchis is promoted, I assume Vince Marrow or TJ Hollowell would be added to the Husker staff. While I feel both could be good additions, I would look to aim higher and find someone who is proven and has a reputation and resume for recruiting and coordinating the task.

I would personally make a call to recently fired Memphis coach, Larry Porter. Porter is widely regarded as one of the top handful of recruiters in the country. His ties to the SEC would be a huge benefit. He is a RB coach, so I could then see moving Ron Brown back to coaching the TEs and keep Garrison's focus soley on the OL with Cotton.

Pelini has no ties to Porter, thus it is basically a pipe-dream that he or anyone else would be lured from a current position to take over similar responsibilities at Nebraska. Maybe its the NFL structure in me, but I see no reason a coach would need a prior background with a position coach. I would simply identify the best, and go pay him to work his magic for my team.

Along with Porter, some other guys who I would target and offer a raise/title upgrade to are:

Ed Orgerson, USC
Rodney Garner, Georgia
Larry Johnson, Penn State
Trooper Taylor, Auburn
Tosh Lupoi, Cal
Tommy Thigpen, Auburn
Eddie Gran, Florida State
Don Pellum, Oregon
Clint Hurtt, Louisville
Stan Drayton, Ohio State
Billy Gonzales. LSU
Josh Henson, Missouri
Joe DeForest, Oklahoma State

Thanks for the input on all of your posts. As noted by someone else, hope Orgeron is not in Lincoln. Larry Johnson and Larry Porter thumbs up, big thumbs up for Trooper Taylor and Rodney Garner...Bo have any history with these four? Zook or younger Stoops angle mentioned by others was something I did not think about.

First question I guess is, what is (position) Bo looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back