• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked " Our Defense Played Well Enough To Win...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

YUENGLING

Travel Squad
10 Year Member
Malzahn's quote " our defense played well enough to win" what game was he watching? His defense held the Huskers to 350 yards rushing , an almost 6 yard per carry avg. and gave up 28 first half points. This guy must have been smoking some pretty heavy duty stuff giving that kind of assessment of his defense." Our offense let us down" yea genius it was all your offense's fault it had absolutly NOTHING to do with the Nebraska defense or offensive line play.

Their defense did play well enough to win. Of course his offense would have had to play infinitely better to make that the case.

Their defense did play well enough to win. Of course his offense would have had to play infinitely better to make that the case.

Yep, they would have needed an Old Loyola Marymount shootout, and OUR defense played well enough to win.

I suppose we could have said the same thing about our defense in the UCLA game.

But it would have sounded as lame as Malzahn saying it.

You are talking about a guy who went for it on 4th down in his own territory early in the game on the road against a superior opponent. Maybe that was his way of saying thanks for the million dollar guarantee?

One standard which the old NU regimes hung their hats on was that if they rushed for 300+ yards the probability of a win was >99%.

In 2010 there were 145 teams to rush for 300 or more yards. 125 won. The average MOV was 26 points.
Of the 20 that lost, the average MOL was 6 points.

GA Tech (4), Eastern Michigan (3), Illinois (2), and the service academies (4) account for 13 of those 20 losses.

I think its very valid to say that if your defense gives up 300+ rushing you are not, and never will be, in a position to win.

"Actually, we lost because Jupiter was in the 7th house, and Mars was aligned with Venus. Simple physics, really." -Malzahn's next quote. ;)

Aside from the 42 points the allowed, I have to agree....their defense had us on the ropes the entire game :Biggrin:...unless we were rushing or throwing the ball. I say Gus is spot on!

I might also guess that his next quote was something like...."the worst day as a Red Wolf is better than the best day as a Buffalo!" (says this as he is putting his money into a black briefcase and handcuffing it to himself)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back