• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU or NU would you rather…

Hmmmm… I fail to see how Venables has anything to do with MJ…I didn’t know all 1st year HC are the same. That’s news to me.
Pal, try to get in your brain that Venables was Never a head coach. Comprende amigo?

Give me OU’s situation. A decent team under a first year coach who will get better. Recruiting and portal will be better in the SEC.
NU has no clue who might be willing to take on this dumpster fire.

Reactions: Yep

How long do they give Venables? Who wants to take that over going into the SEC? They may be in for a slide.
They’ll ride with him as long as there is tangible progress. They lost a lot of players and coaches. Not losing seasons, but I bet they figured it would take a bit of time. That said, you shouldn’t get woodsdedded by TCU, so there is that. Have to see how the season plays out.

They’ll ride with him as long as there is tangible progress. They lost a lot of players and coaches. Not losing seasons, but I bet they figured it would take a bit of time. That said, you shouldn’t get woodsdedded by TCU, so there is that. Have to see how the season plays out.
The team wasn’t playing for Venables at all yesterday. I think he may be changing things for the better and half the team didn’t want to work harder and go to practice more. I assume Lincoln and Mike Riley are cut from the same cloth and everything was “nice”

Last edited:

Just goes to show you the need to hire an experienced HEAD coach. Sorry MJ to don’t check that box, pal.
As far as Venables,I guarantee you he won’t be around for another year at 15-29
I'm the last 10 years 6 different coaches have won national titles.

Kirby Smart - first time head coach
Nick Saban - won a NT at a different school prior
Ed Orgeron - was interim HC and promoted to full time.
Dabo Swinney - was interim HC and promoted to full time. Also a first time head coach
Uban Meyer - won a NT at a different school prior
Jimbo Fisher - first time head coach

To summarize, 3 first time guys, two guys that were promoted from interim, two guys that already had jewelry from a prior gig.

Based on this, we would be best served by hiring someone that already won a title, or that had never been a head guy. So unless we can get Urban, Stoops, or Orgeron (or maybe Larry Corker?) MJ may be most likely to bring home the gold.

Last edited:
The team wasn’t playing for Venables at all yesterday. I think he may be changing things for the better and half the team didn’t want to work harder and go to practice more. I assume Lincoln and Mike Riley are cut from the same cloth and everything was “nice”
I’m not so sure about that…..instead..They’ll tell you the team/recruits/coaches were shredded when LR took them all to Cali & that’s why they now stink. Least that’s what I’ve heard since TCU whupped them just yesterday. They did not say such things after OU beat NEB. Now they can barely remember that game……which is nice

Week 0 thru Week 3, OU was overrated, big time. Loss HC & key coordinator, star QB Caleb Williams and a few players left yet Top10 rankings. I believe #5 or #6.

Now make sense, dropped from rankings both AP and Coaches poll.

Last edited:
…Be OU getting destroyed by TCU with a 1st year coach and going to the SEC or…
Be NU and get destroyed by OU with an interim coach and no conference change?

This is from a coaching prospective. We’d obviously rather have OUs winning program and talent the past few years.
I'm not sure if there is even a discussion. I'd much rather have their situation.

The expectation that Venables was going to be able to come in Year 1 and keep that team as a Playoff contender, seemed far fetched to me. You are going from an offensive minded guy to a defensive one. Riley snagged players from the program through the portal and their recruiting class. I don't think the switch flips that fast. I expect OU to bounce back more next year. We have far more question marks in our situation.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back