• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

OU and Texas reach out to SEC

This still seems relevant:

Oklahoma to the SEC means sharing the SEC West with Texas A&M. That's a pretty dang good foundation. The PAC has very little to offer Oklahoma except the possibility that Texas might join it. I think that Texas and Oklahoma have had a symbiotic relationship since the creation of the Big 12, but Texas will look out for Texas, and it isn't at all necessary for either that that would end up being what's best for Oklahoma.

Rivalries just aren't as crucial in this decision-making process as fans want to believe. Give some lip service to continuing their rivalry game as an out-of-conference game, then make the choice that's best for each. Nobody thought that Texas A&M would ever break from Texas, but it's hard to argue that moving to the SEC has been anything but good for their program. It's hard to argue that it's done anything but hurt Texas's program. Go back and read the stories from 2011 about A&M and Texas, and you'll see that it was absolutely assumed by Texas that A&M would never want to be anything more than Texas' little brother. A&M fans didn't like that, but they also seemed to believe that that's how things would play out ... until it didn't. They haven't played since. Everybody is talking at length about the loss of the Nebraska-Oklahoma rivalry from both Nebraska and Oklahoma's perspectives, but nobody has mentioned that A&M was perfectly willing to throw away the Texas rivalry for the money and a fresh start in the SEC. Oklahoma noticed. They had a better arrangement going with the Big 12 as long as Texas stayed, so they stayed. Oklahoma is NOT going to enter another new conference with any sort of arrangement that puts them at a competitive disadvantage with Texas. Texas might fit in the SEC, but I don't see them wanting to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle, and I can't see A&M fighting to get them in. A&M might have a more natural ally with Oklahoma that can naturally morph into a rivalry game.

"We want to be the only SEC program in the state of Texas," Bjork said. "There's a reason why Texas A&M left the Big 12 -- to be stand-alone, to have our own identity."
One potential obstacle for such a move, at least any time soon, is that Oklahoma and Texas signed a Big 12 grant-of-rights agreement, in which they granted their first- and second-tier media rights for football and men's basketball to the conference through June 30, 2025. That means the Big 12 would still own those schools' media rights for those sports -- even if they are no longer members -- until the agreement expires.

This Tweet is where I've landed: OU can likely get approval, but why would 11 SEC teams want to add Texas? A&M already opens up the state of Texas to recruiting. Texas would just make it harder to pull SEC recruits out of Texas. What would LSU gain? Likely, it would be harder to keep Louisiana recruits from heading west than it would be to attract new Texas recruits to come to Baton Rouge. It's basically the same calculus for almost every other school. Adding Oklahoma would bolster the SEC's reputation, and it brings in the Dallas, OK City, Tulsa, and several other markets. Oklahoma in the SEC without Texas would actually be in their best interest as playing A&M will immediately become an instant rivalry, and it keeps OU in the Texas footprint.

Texas makes more sense in the PAC or even the B1G. I know that some of you will blow your mind out your butt at reading that, but it's true. I think that the PAC will be their eventual landing spot because they'll be able to dictate terms much more so than either with the SEC or the B1G as the PAC is in desperate need of relevance, and adding Texas and another team in the Central time zone would help them in numerous ways.

Last edited:

This Tweet is where I've landed: OU can likely get approval, but why would 11 SEC teams want to add Texas? A&M already opens up the state of Texas to recruiting. Texas would just make it harder to pull SEC recruits out of Texas. What would LSU gain? Likely, it would be harder to keep Louisiana recruits from heading west than it would be to attract new Texas recruits to come to Baton Rouge. It's basically the same calculus for almost every other school. Adding Oklahoma would bolster the SEC's reputation, and it brings in the Dallas, OK City, Tulsa, and several other markets. Oklahoma in the SEC without Texas would actually be in their best interest as playing A&M will immediately become an instant rivalry, and it keeps OU in the Texas footprint.

Texas makes more sense in the PAC or even the B1G. I know that some of you will blow your mind out your butt at reading that, but it's true. I think that the PAC will be their eventual landing spot because they'll be able to dictate terms much more so than either with the SEC or the B1G as the PAC is in desperate need of relevance, and adding Texas and another team in the Central time zone would help them in numerous ways.
I completely agree that Texas is a better fit in the PAC. I’m not sure if Oklahoma will split from Texas or not. If this happens the BIG would be foolish not to reach out to Missouri. I honestly could see a situation where the leftover Big12 schools combine with some mountain west schools as a group of five conference. Really what value do any of those schools bring other than Oklahoma and Texas. Maybe Kansas for basketball and possibly Oklahoma st. Those teams are about as big of an addition as Rutgers.

The Big 12 could go away and have 2 teams go SEC, 2 to the B1G, 2 to ACC, and 4 to the PAC. If so, as said, I would think ISU and KU would be most attractive to B1G. (In football, Purdue would move to the East Division). ACC would want West Virginia and someone. Would the PAC want Utah State or Boise State before Big 12 leftovers? With 16 teams, other sports might move to 2 divisions.

fun to consider, all of this seems unlikely.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back