• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Oregon Speed + Husker Power

Any idea if Duvall makes any changes to what he is currently doing?
I really have no idea. I highly doubt it. I again go back to when he stated to the high school coaches "for those of you that stuck with our Husker Power from the 90s and didn't try shifting to this 'functional' training stuff which I don't even know what that means, you are way ahead of the people that tried to evolve." I mean, if we were saying you should still be doing what we were 30 years ago, not sure a bad year or two will change things.

Also not sure who I was talking to about Alabama's old strength coach but doing some reading on Dr Rhea at Stanford and this quote in this article stuck with me:

In fact, Dr. Matt Rhea even revealed his true perception of the weight room to be a complete 180 from former Coach Scott Cochran. Rhea stated, “When you stop viewing the weight room as a place to break athletes down and start viewing it as a place to build them, your perspective on stress shifts from excess to optimal.” This approach should be a huge benefit in the Tide’s recent battle with the injury bug without sacrificing performance.
Alabama Football: Coach Ballou and Dr. Rhea amping up workouts (bamahammer.com)

What concerns me is Rhea and Ballou were turning 3 stars at Indiana into beasts. They now get to work with 5 stars. Cochran basically had a Husker Power strategy... celebrate puke buckets, make them work harder than anyone else in the weight room, etc., Saban had to look a different route because they were having too many injuries and he thought it was really starting to hamper him.

Seems odd to me.

Time was when the college football world took a look at Nebraska and said, "We've got to do what they are doing" in terms of S&C and nutrition.

Wouldn't you think that a smart Nebraska coach would now look to Alabama or other schools for guidance rather than hanging on to a 40 year old concept that doesn't seem to be working?

Seems odd to me.

Time was when the college football world took a look at Nebraska and said, "We've got to do what they are doing" in terms of S&C and nutrition.

Wouldn't you think that a smart Nebraska coach would now look to Alabama or other schools for guidance rather than hanging on to a 40 year old concept that doesn't seem to be working?
Pay Urban $1million to come in for a week and see what is going on and offer advice/recommendations. SF obviously needs some outside perspective.

Ive seen former players, ,one recent departer, complain about a former DC almost trying to kill them, but I guess the SnC was no problem ,it was Diaco

Last edited:

It is hard for me to understand why our S&C staff is still "stuck" in the 90's.

Just this week on the Twitter, Collin Miller went at Antonio Butler -throwing shade on the "Riley" players for not lifting all the time with their brothers.
Makes me wonder if the staff is measuring their own success by:
1. Comparing max gains, with shared players, compared to their Phillip's years. Are Duval and the boys still puffing their chests out because they think they have improved how we look bigger than year 1 under Frost?
2. We have so many young players in the program. They are making big gains since they are in a college lifting programs for the first time.
3. We may think that our team speed and athleticism are better than they really are because the staff blames lack of player execution/technique to make big plays and key blocks and aren't looking at the lack of mobility and flexibility.
4. The Davis brothers testing well at the combine last year. At least it appeared that way on social media.

It's fascinating watching the program try to basically recreate the '90s. If Scott struggles again this fall, the next iteration fans will hope for is to literally install TO's multi-formation option attack.

At some point, we'll figure out that the secret sauce was Tom Osborne, and the rest of the ingredients - the staff, the players, the S&C, the competitive landscape, the media coverage etc. - were all very specific to that decade.

It is hard for me to understand why our S&C staff is still "stuck" in the 90's.

Just this week on the Twitter, Collin Miller went at Antonio Butler -throwing shade on the "Riley" players for not lifting all the time with their brothers.
Makes me wonder if the staff is measuring their own success by:
1. Comparing max gains, with shared players, compared to their Phillip's years. Are Duval and the boys still puffing their chests out because they think they have improved how we look bigger than year 1 under Frost?
2. We have so many young players in the program. They are making big gains since they are in a college lifting programs for the first time.
3. We may think that our team speed and athleticism are better than they really are because the staff blames lack of player execution/technique to make big plays and key blocks and aren't looking at the lack of mobility and flexibility.
4. The Davis brothers testing well at the combine last year. At least it appeared that way on social media.
Thank you, now wereback, reread what I said

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back