• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Orange Pork

Pops

I have squandered my resistance
15 Year Member
2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and tied...make it a full cup.

Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns to the pan; stir constantly until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Cool.
Using a mortar and pestle, crush toasted spices with garlic, salt, and oregano to make a paste. You can also do this in the small bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, and olive oil.
Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour citrus marinade over meat, and seal. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.

Smoke, with apple wood.....low about 10-12 hours

Enjoy and Peace

It looks like a keeper. Any recommendations for a smoker? I'm going to need to get one. Too much good stuff.

It looks like a keeper. Any recommendations for a smoker? I'm going to need to get one. Too much good stuff.

I go old School....Thinking about going gas upright. Mine is worn out.

One I have now has a huge wood box to the side...just hard to regulate heat...Once you do though, you can walk away the rest of the day.

I'll be adding some good recipes, now that this is open.
have some rubs I have concocted myself that should be for sale

I go old School....Thinking about going gas upright. Mine is worn out.

One I have now has a huge wood box to the side...just hard to regulate heat...Once you do though, you can walk away the rest of the day.

We could argue ad infinitum about the virtues of gas v. charcoal. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker, a.k.a. the Weber Bullet. They're not cheap but do the job. My first smoker was a Brinkman Gourmet Smoker & Grill which I think is good for first-timers.

That recipe looks awesome, Pops!!

I have had a Little Chief smoker similar to this one - a little smaller - for about 30 years. Mostly I use it to make jerky and smoke salmon or trout. It's not a "big boy" smoker by any means, but it does produce very consistent heat (one setting only - you get what you get, but it's pretty low). It's really easy to replenish the pan of wood chips - usually 2-3 pans saturate the meat during the early stages. I prefer hickory myself, but it's all good. We use alot of mesquite from our trees in the yard and that's good stuff, too.

Last edited:

2 teaspoons cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and tied...make it a full cup.

Heat a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and peppercorns to the pan; stir constantly until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Cool.
Using a mortar and pestle, crush toasted spices with garlic, salt, and oregano to make a paste. You can also do this in the small bowl of a food processor. Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in orange juice, lime juice, lemon juice, sherry, and olive oil.
Place the pork in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour citrus marinade over meat, and seal. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours, turning the bag over occasionally.

Smoke, with apple wood.....low about 10-12 hours

Enjoy and Peace

Not sure what you mean by what is in bold.
How much of the orange flavor comes through on the final product?
I assume you are pulling this?

I have never used apple on a butt, normally hickory, sometimes pecan.
Looks interesting.

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by what is in bold.
How much of the orange flavor comes through on the final product?
I assume you are pulling this?

I have never used apple on a butt, normally hickory, sometimes pecan.
Looks interesting.

Thanks

lol...sorry meant to put the full cup on the orange juice.

Yes it's pulled...or should I say falls.
This stuff falls apart

reason for the apple is the orange...brings out the taste better. ...pecan is good to.
I have cats holler at me cause I go away from oak...cats out east use a lot of oak...I'm a evil Texan

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back