• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Open @Ohio State

Home field advantage doesn't really exist this season imo. No huge crowds might even help the Huskers. Without 100k screaming fans there's no pressure on our players. Might even help at home because many times I think our players have gotten to amped up imo. We get inside OSU 10 yd line our QB can now easy audible-ize and also avoid false starts. Just have to see how it plays out but it's going to be interesting

Our primary weakness against a team like OSU is our lack of pass rushers. That’s going to be our primary obstacle to overcome this season. I’m hoping a player or two can emerge as true pass rushers. I’m just having a hard time finding candidates on the current roster. We’ll probably have to get a little more creative than I’d like in order for us to really put some heat on opposing passers.

On a positive note, I think we’re in good shape in all other aspects.

There is some balance in that Nebraska gets two of those three (Wisconsin and Minnesota) in Lincoln. Granted, it won't be the typical homefield environment and advantage. The Wisconsin game was originally scheduled to be in Madison -- so the pre-Covid schedule had two of those three on the road. Minnesota and Wisconsin only get 1 of the competing 3 in the West at home.
The crossover games are still pretty disparate between West teams. It's almost like Barry Alvarez has a huge hand in scheduling. ;)

It will be interesting to follow home field advantage this year. I'm not sure it will matter much with no fans.

The crossover games are still pretty disparate between West teams. It's almost like Barry Alvarez has a huge hand in scheduling. ;)

It will be interesting to follow home field advantage this year. I'm not sure it will matter much with no fans.

It definitely won't matter as much as with fans. Some advantage to not having to travel, but definitely less advantage than a normal year.

Our primary weakness against a team like OSU is our lack of pass rushers. That’s going to be our primary obstacle to overcome this season. I’m hoping a player or two can emerge as true pass rushers. I’m just having a hard time finding candidates on the current roster. We’ll probably have to get a little more creative than I’d like in order for us to really put some heat on opposing passers.

On a positive note, I think we’re in good shape in all other aspects.
I'm more concerned about stopping the run. Last year we finished ranked 94th giving up almost 190 yd per game. That's not going to get it done in the BIG imo. Eventually our secondary has to cheat up to help out our DL and LB's then we get burned deep. BIG is forever a smash mouth conference and we've really been bad the past several years against everyone ground game. Hoping we're going to see a lot of improvement on that defensive aspect.

I'm more concerned about stopping the run. Last year we finished ranked 94th giving up almost 190 yd per game. That's not going to get it done in the BIG imo. Eventually our secondary has to cheat up to help out our DL and LB's then we get burned deep. BIG is forever a smash mouth conference and we've really been bad the past several years against everyone ground game. Hoping we're going to see a lot of improvement on that defensive aspect.
Valid point. Last season wasn’t good against the run. I personally think we’re better overall in the front 7 this season. Improved LB play will make a big difference in the run D. But it’s just speculation at this point.

I think that’s a good opener For NU. A loss mostly expected across the board With a 24.5+ spread so a competitive game would be positive, a win would be massive.

it’s a good benchmark immediately. could springboard the season if upset, likely wouldn't tank it even if it went south.

Agree, there will be no pressure on us whatsoever. Winning would give us a huge confidence boost as would losing a close game.....

Play a BALL GAME against OSU, and Penn State, make the Wiscy game up for grabs, maybe a surprise or two.... Beat Iowa or Minn or both....and take care of business elsewhere.....and it would be a wonderful improvement. But regardless, it’s kind of a free hall pass year anyway And besides....WE ARE PLAYING....and a week ago we weren’t!

by Patrick Murphy staff, Bucknuts message board .....
If there are two teams that deserve the most credit for the Big Ten's return to football this fall, it's Nebraska and Ohio State. Cornhusker players, coaches, parents and fans were the most active during the month-plus between the Big Ten's cancelation of fall sports due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its decision on Wednesday to play a season starting in late October and their Buckeye counterparts were a close second, if not level.

Either the Big Ten recognized this fact and has a strange sense of humor or the conference wanted to punish these two teams -- mainly Nebraska -- for standing up to its authority for the last several weeks. This is because when the new schedule was released on Saturday morning, the third Big Ten schedule created for 2020, the conference had the Buckeyes hosting the Cornhuskers at Ohio Stadium in Week 1, essentially letting these two rabble-rousers battle each other to start the season.

I’d rather play both OSU and Wisky early in the season when they might be rusty. I’d still play this season like it’s a gift and play a lot of young players to get them ready for next year. If you win-great; if not-you’re giving lots of young players a good idea as to what it takes to play and win in the B1G. If we win 4-5 games and the last crossover game matching is against the East equivalent opponent, that would be pretty good this year. I’d also like to be competitive against any team we play-no blowout losses.

This morning, Dan Patrick said the Big 10 was punishing Nebraska with the schedule, no question about that. “So you wanna play football do ya? OK, here you go!”

No fans also helps immensely.
agree on the no-fans issue. What little of the pre-season college games being played now that I have watched, no fans seems to have taken away home field advantage-just my perspective. It's hard to gauge completely when looking at Citadel vs home team clemson and USF at ND...guess time will tell over the course of the season if it is true.

I’d say that without fans rooting for Home teams, there is basically no Homefield advantage. Certainly, so far in the NFL, it looks like the better team has won, whether it is at home or away. Should be same thing in college

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back