• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Only 2 b10 teams went 7 weeks no bye

Pal I took my huskermobile to the shop last week because of lack of horsepower and to replace a third quarter timing belt. They said it would take longer than a bye week to fix...not good!

Last edited:
Agree with what you are saying BUT ... if you are playing a team that's already had a bye or two then you are playing at a disadvantage. Its not about what we used to have or used to do its about ourselves as benchmarked against others. No coincidence that both MSU and NU played poorly last week ... largely due to the competition but both had significant differences in bye weeks versus those opponents.
FaIr enough, but byes happen at different times every year for different teams. I've never seen an analysis, but I can't believe the disadvantage is all that great (and clearly not great enough to be a meaningful explanation for Saturday's performance, which is the argument being made). The difference can be great if it affect whether a key player is available of course, so to the degree we think AM or Spielman's absence caused the rout, than it did make the difference, but does anyone really think that?

If byes generally could turn a close game into a rout then top 20 teams would be occasionally be losing or winning a whole game a year due to it, and everyone would want to fix it, like switching to having all teams take the same one or two weeks off, like an All Star break or something.

It's good we have one now, no doubt, but that's different than saying a big reason why we played poorly on Saturday was due to that, imo.

Last edited:
One possible explanation for the Minny game was the players looking ahead to the bye week. They sure didn't want to play last Saturday night--hard to remember a game where the players on one team looked so flat, especially on Defense.

Then when I see quotes like this from a player,

“We’ve been together since Aug. 2,” Allen told the Omaha World-Herald. “We’ve had fall camp and seven straight weeks. I think we just need to get away from each other for a bit. We get so locked up in this. If you get to relax sometimes (that helps). I think that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to relax.”

I wonder about the chemistry of this team. I mean I get it--sort of--but doesn't that seem a bit off? Maybe I'm too optimistic but I was hoping for a band of brothers, focused and determined throughout the season. Not players who seem relieved to get away from each other?
Everyone needs some space every now and then. Heck my wife uses that excuses every other day or so. I wouldn't read too much into that comment especially on the heels of a question about the bye week.

We concur. I could even see us possibly getting to 7. Maybe I am insane, but I think we split the Wisco and Iowa games. Minny was the perfect storm for us in the wrong way and them in the right way (for them). I think we are WAY overdue for an upset, and I hope our coaches now start benching the ones not giving effort. A bowl is very important for this team, players and fan base.

We are not good enough to upset Wiscy or Iowa. I would be happy to win 3 more against the weaklings.

It will be very interesting to see what the Huskers do down the stretch. We finished last season playing pretty strong football. If that happens again this year, it may say something about this staff's ability to adapt and change throughout the season. It will also, however, raise questions about why we're struggling to be prepared earlier in the season.

It's exciting and maddening right now knowing that it's possible this team could fizzle out... or still contend for the west.

We are not good enough to upset Wiscy or Iowa. I would be happy to win 3 more against the weaklings.
We don't look good right now, but stranger things have happened. Hell, we stomped Minnesota last year around this time, and they managed to turn things around in a big way.

Keep the faith.

I think when you play crappy you always look for excuses, but there's an old saying, excuses are like aholes, everyone's got one but they all smell like $#!t....

There is no question that this team needed a bye week. We limped into that Minnesota game. Oddsmakers knew it too... that's why we were a 7 pt underdog and most predictors had us losing.

There is no question that this team needed a bye week. We limped into that Minnesota game. Oddsmakers knew it too... that's why we were a 7 pt underdog and most predictors had us losing.

It's almost as if they forgot they had to play and win at Minnesota before the bye week....

One possible explanation for the Minny game was the players looking ahead to the bye week. They sure didn't want to play last Saturday night--hard to remember a game where the players on one team looked so flat, especially on Defense.

Then when I see quotes like this from a player,

“We’ve been together since Aug. 2,” Allen told the Omaha World-Herald. “We’ve had fall camp and seven straight weeks. I think we just need to get away from each other for a bit. We get so locked up in this. If you get to relax sometimes (that helps). I think that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to relax.”

I wonder about the chemistry of this team. I mean I get it--sort of--but doesn't that seem a bit off? Maybe I'm too optimistic but I was hoping for a band of brothers, focused and determined throughout the season. Not players who seem relieved to get away from each other?
I wouldn't read too much into Allen's comments. Even in high school, and even in schools and teams that were phenomenal, it was good to get a break for a week. Even in my marriage--and it's a happy marriage--it's good for my wife to get out from time to time, and I need occasional time by myself to go fishing or hunting or whatever. I think he was just being honest, and I don't think it means much in a negative way.

I wouldn't read too much into Allen's comments. Even in high school, and even in schools and teams that were phenomenal, it was good to get a break for a week. Even in my marriage--and it's a happy marriage--it's good for my wife to get out from time to time, and I need occasional time by myself to go fishing or hunting or whatever. I think he was just being honest, and I don't think it means much in a negative way.

Funny, I travelled a bunch in my career and when someone would ask my wife the secret to a happy 20 year marriage she would say, “Having him be gone for 10 of it!”

Last edited:
nzKG9fN.png

Reminder. October 26 schedule .....

11:00CDT: Wisconsin at Ohio St.(-14.5) .... FOX
11:00CDT: Iowa(-10) at Northwestern .... ESPN2
11:00CDT: Illinois at Purdue(-10) .... BTN
11:00CDT: Liberty(-7) at Rutgers .... BTN

2:30CDT: Indiana at Huskers(-2) ..... BTN
2:30CDT: Penn St.(-6) at Michigan St. .... ABC
2:30CDT: Maryland at Minnesota(-16.5) .... ESPN

6:30CDT: Notre Dame(-1.5) at Michigan .... ABC

Last edited:

We don't look good right now, but stranger things have happened. Hell, we stomped Minnesota last year around this time, and they managed to turn things around in a big way.

Keep the faith.

The Minnesota turnaround is good to note. It took PJ Fleck being willing to fire his defensive coordinator almost a year ago (early-November 2018). 10-1 since. It was only Fleck's second season in Minneapolis -- and he wasn't afraid to make major changes to his staff. Minnesota was 9-12 with Rob Smith as defensive coordinator -- and 10-1 under Joe Rossi. Oftentimes improving means willing to make personnel changes. And sometimes, the sooner the better.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back