• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked One More Confirmation - 95 Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always happy to see threads about our past teams, especially the '95 Huskers. They were the greatest ever and it's fun to talk about them.

Patience grasshopper.

1971 -- 1995 -- 2119

Cyclical results....at every school in the country.

All this teeth gnashing comes from being the only fan base I know of that got to watch 30+ years of near excellence, followed by the last decade or so of 'normal' results.

I'm patient, but I don't think I can make it to 2119, even with all my gym time ;)

As I do for 95 and 71, but there is really no need to start new threads on HM about them.

Motivation for starting this thread is the information I posted came yesterday, it concerned NU, and I found it interesting. Really has nothing to do with this year's team, Bo, lost hope, etc. Conversely, if the statement read that they were the most overrated team ever, I would have posted that as well.

While it is absolutely true, IMO, that our 1995 team was the greatest ever, unless it was the 1971 team...it is sad that we must constantly bang our chests about it for lack of recent accomplishments.

Even if we had recent accomplishments...we would be hard pressed to have a team that could compare to 95....that team is something to be proud of year in and year out, even if we had recent accomplishments

We could have won an MNC within the last 3 years and I would still thump my chest about 95

Agreed. 100%

Even if we had recent accomplishments...we would be hard pressed to have a team that could compare to 95....that team is something to be proud of year in and year out, even if we had recent accomplishments

We could have won an MNC within the last 3 years and I would still thump my chest about 95

As I do for 95 and 71, but there is really no need to start new threads on HM about them.

Why not? Why not celebrate and honor the past teams?

Most on here, I suppose, didn't have the privilege of getting to see the 71 team. I was in the class of 72 and knew some of those guys.

The 71 team had 3 All-Americans in the defensive line alone--2 Outland trophy winners, all conference players, 1st or second team, in a conference that went 1, 2 and 3. Also, Joe Blahak was an AA defensive back, Johnny Rodgers an AA and Heisman Trophy winner (Tommie should have, of course, LP really would have if he hadn't been such a maniac and stayed another year). Jeff Kinney was like Rex Burkhead and a 2nd team AA. Jerry Tagge was an AA, maybe 2nd team, I think as that kid, Pat Sullivan, from Auburn won the Heisman. Willie Harper simply would not be blocked. Monte Johnson couldn't break the starting line up as a DL and ended up being an All Pro LB. We all know about Rich Glover. John Atkins was a DE and was great, but was overshadowed by so many great players. I remember Bill Olds, who was a bulldozing FB, break into the secondary against Minnesota and could have gone anywhere downfield, because everyone else was blocked, but he deliberately just looked for the last db between him and the endzone and plowed over him like a bulldozer knocking down a small tree in the woods. The offensive line was phenomenal, too.

Against Oregon in the opener with later all pros, Dan Fouts and Bobby Moore (later Ahmad Rashad) in their first TD drive, the guys on offense in the huddle were talking about a blonde sitting in an endzone seat.

The 71 team, of course, was only tested and taken to the wire by OU. Other than that, the only real competition the 71 and 95 teams had was in practice.

I just consider myself privileged in my life to have been able to see both of them (live, also), to have felt the pride of all of Nebraska and the envy and admiration of all of college football.

Let's just leave at this:
both teams were phenomenal in their own right, but constantly pitting them against each other is pointless. They were both the greatest in their elements, and no one can ever take that away from either team.

Thanks Red!:thumbsup:

I enjoy reading insights like this.

There is really no need for me to rehash the glorious college years myself and my buddies had....but we do,..,because we were awesome:Biggrin:

At the end if the day who cares...every school pimps their best teams,,.you don't have to listen (click on the thread)

I respect your thoughts on our current woes...but your contempt with this subject is a weak effort to point out our current struggles...those struggles can stand on their own

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back