• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

On a sidenote....the Husker Baseball team leads the Big Ten!

johnrr6

Lucky!
5 Year Member
I have been posting a few updates in the football board as kind of a “feel-good story“ and also because I know a lot of guys don’t really follow baseball but still might be happy with the news.

And that news it’s certainly good.

The Huskers lead The Big Ten at 15-6 and have played very solid baseball. In fact, all the games that they lost were squeakers that could’ve gone either way.

They have faced average teams and bad teams and (one good team OSU) and beaten them with relative ease. They have yet to really face the top end of the BiG....But they are “beating who they play” and in Baseball that it is all that really matters. You are never going to go undefeated in baseball and on many days a bad team will defeat a good team. Just the nature of the game.

And we even have our own BTN+ play by play announcers without the TV or radio who do a great play-by-play. @CrnhskrBob @carrolltonsker It makes for a relaxing way to follow a baseball game without having to pay the fees or listen to some media knucklehead.

And they post pictures of the kids as the game goes on and it is striking to see images of these young men. They look like a bunch of young high school kids, or early college kids. Some look like nerds, some look like football players....some look like a guy you just walked by in the grocery store.

And it is a very young team.

But Coach Bolt has them playing a ferocious brand of baseball.

They attack the ball, they bunt, they steel bases, they even steel homebase! They are relentless and if they give up the lead they seem to get it right back virtually every time! The defense has been quite solid and we have several pitchers that are really starting to stand out. A couple of bonafide pro prospects.

Season isn’t halfway over yet and it’s still early, but man those kids are fun to follow!

Last edited:

The behind the plate umps the last two series have been extremely.....

well just no way to put it other than....BAD!

The Strike zone keeps moving all over the place.... horribly inconsistent. Today Maryland couldn’t hit worth a crap so they got desperate and just started hanging out over the plate wanting to get hit by pitch. There were three HBP in a row and the umpire didn’t stop it. And none of them our fault.

One was on the foot and the guy made no movement whatsoever to get out of the way and one of them was an inside pitch in the strike zone and the guy basically just leaned into it. The other one was subjective but the two I mentioned just weren’t.

And the way the umps treat the strike zone for our pitchers. It was a very situational and it’s never supposed to be situational. A ball is a ball, a strike is a strike...but not today!

And it’s kind of been that way for the last two series. Bolt was going apoplectic. I think he’d finally had enough.

And unfortunately the paranoid in me is starting to think some of the Big Ten officiating from football is rubbing off on baseball.

I hope it’s just my normal Baseball paranoia about umpires LOL

The good news is our kids are playing so much better than other teams that in the end it hasn’t mattered.

Last edited:
Most baseball I've "watched" the past thirty years made a good backdrop for a nap. These guys are fun to watch.

You see these kid’s team pictures. What they actually look like....

And they look so young. I mean really, really young.

Max Anderson who got two clutch hits today looks like he just got out of seventh grade science class. And there’s so many of them that just look....well terribly young!

And Brice Matthews who hit a grand slam today has a smile on his face that is as wide as the dog gone picture. He looks so happy to be a Husker!

Yet these very young kids play the game with a ferocity and intensity that I just love!

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back