• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Omaha High School Fall Sports/Cancelled (Update)

No, Stanton, Ne. They are moving down to 8 man football this year.
I have no skin in the game, as I have no children. My concern as a human being is the mental toll future toll this will take on these athletes. Imagine if you are a senior and a marginal student and the only reason you try in school is so that you are eligible to participate in the sport you love to play. Now imagine that is taken away from you. What motivation do you have to even go to school?

I have a fear of skyrocketing truancy rates as well as many of these seniors falling through the cracks of society, not to mention the mental health (suicide) aspect of the whole thing.

No sports also means: No band, no chorus, no dance squad, no theater. Basically no extra curricular activities.
agreed, yet in my district, one school is allowing students the option to remote learn for fear of Covid, yet allowed to take part in football or part of the school VPA program. Parents don't want their kids exposed in classroom but okay with the other exposure.

That's great to hear about Nashville now. What's crazy is the Mrs. and I visited there over Father's day weekend and the Broadway area was packed with no social distancing and almost zero make being worn. It was our first time in Nashville but we avoided the bars for that reason. There were party busses rolling down Broadway full of people with no masks. We wore them and got a few looks. We noticed leaving one restaurant some workers had them pulled down when they weren't hosting or serving. Then about a week after we returned to Omaha I heard there was a huge spike and mask mandate. It's great things have changed.

Omaha has been really slow to catch on. Mask wearing seems to vary across the city but I still hear a ton of complaining at work and the grocery store. The Lowe's by me is one place where usually less than half of people are wearing them. All the kid clients I work with prefer to wear them, many of my older clients and co-workers do not. It's weird.
Broadway is a ghost town now. Bars have been shut down and any restaurant that serves alcohol must be closed by 10. With a town that depends on tourism as much as we do it’s really killing us. We went to a phase 3 opening probably while you were here and then dropped back down to phase 2 in July. Like I mentioned we were slow to get on board but now it’s almost strange to see anyone in public without a mask.

Musicians in Nashville are still tweeting pics of people in Nashville—-huge crowds on Broadway, party busses with no masks. This was last week? Maybe those are tourists but it doesn’t sound like a mask mandate at all.
I don’t know what you’re seeing but Broadway is dead. We are in a no live music phase and if you don’t serve food and our bar only you cannot open. Restaurants that serve alcohol must close by 10.

I don’t know what you’re seeing but Broadway is dead. We are in a no live music phase and if you don’t serve food and our bar only you cannot open. Restaurants that serve alcohol must close by 10.

Jason Isbell was tweeting about it last weekend. I saw it on his feed. Glad to hear it’s better.

I have no skin in the game, as I have no children. My concern as a human being is the mental toll future toll this will take on these athletes. Imagine if you are a senior and a marginal student and the only reason you try in school is so that you are eligible to participate in the sport you love to play. Now imagine that is taken away from you. What motivation do you have to even go to school?

I have a fear of skyrocketing truancy rates as well as many of these seniors falling through the cracks of society, not to mention the mental health (suicide) aspect of the whole thing.

No sports also means: No band, no chorus, no dance squad, no theater. Basically no extra curricular activities.
All those things you mention is why it is called a worldwide pandemic. No one was alive the last time something like this happened, so it’s new for each and every living person. No one is immune. Pandemics reek havoc.

It's interesting to watch people that clamor for better mental health resources and bang the "it's mental health" drum to no end turn around and do things that actually seriously harm people's mental health. Disgusting.
Who specifically have you seen do this? I'm genuinely curious because as a mental health professional I'm obviously concerned and it seems the vast majority of people I talk with are concerned as well. There has been a lot of discussion locally about the effect on mental health.

This is getting out of control as the virus mortality rate for kids nationally is around 0.02% of those that contract it. Why don't they consider the mental aspect of what this is doing to kids and parents.

Last edited:
He is a genius
Call me sick but one good thing that will come out of all this is when we start to see our best artists expressing the experience. It will take years and the songs or other types of works mostly won't be explicitly about the pandemic, but we'll recognize pieces of ideas and feelings many of us are having in common right now.

Isbell will be interesting for sure.

Last edited:
Who specifically have you seen do this? I'm genuinely curious because as a mental health professional I'm obviously concerned and it seems the vast majority of people I talk with are concerned as well. There has been a lot of discussion locally about the effect on mental health.
Every action taken damages young adult's mental health. Literally, everything being done to basically protect old people is doing serious damage to the young. It's mostly liberals screaming for more lock downs, etc... The same that say they care about mental health.

Every action taken damages young adult's mental health. Literally, everything being done to basically protect old people is doing serious damage to the young. It's mostly liberals screaming for more lock downs, etc... The same that say they care about mental health.
Okay, this definitely sounds like it's in the political realm and involves group stereotypes so I'm going to refrain from discussing any further. I obviously think being concerned about the mental health impact is very important, and there are nuances that require much consideration.

Okay, this definitely sounds like it's in the political realm and involves group stereotypes so I'm going to refrain from discussing any further. I obviously think being concerned about the mental health impact is very important, and there are nuances that require much consideration.
There aren't nuances at all. The numbers all back up that the young and even middle aged are being severely damaged by the fear mongering and lock downs.

Do you agree?

You are correct. Every negative action can damage a young adult. This can also be a learning experience.

I doubt that the remaining life of the young adults of this age will be all lollipops and roses. The earlier you learn to deal with adversity, the easier the rest of your life will be.

To all the adults working with these kids, don't just try to protect the kids from adversity. Help them learn how to deal with it and move forward. It will make the future world for these kids much better. Hopefully, better than the world of today.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back