• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Omaha High School Fall Sports/Cancelled (Update)

Nashville has been in a mask mandate since June. It was a bit slow to gain traction but you rarely see anyone without as mask. I was back in Omaha a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at how few I saw wearing masks. I understand it's not mandated and even though I wear one, I'm not a Karen about it. I guess I was conditioned to see it in Music City and wasn't used to seeing faces. I hate Walmart but had to run into one in Papillion and because it was mandated, that's really the only place I saw extensive face coverings.

I'm not a Karen about it either, if people don't want to wear masks, that's on them. I just don't understand how people can know what is going on in the world right now and think that it's a good idea to be in a room full of people right now.

Wow that is surprising. But then again there isn’t any money in high school sports so...

But most likely won't go into effect until September.. "Under a normal timeline, the ordinance would take effect sometime in September."

IF it passes as an emergency ordinance it goes int effect immediately.

I have no skin in the game, as I have no children. My concern as a human being is the mental toll future toll this will take on these athletes. Imagine if you are a senior and a marginal student and the only reason you try in school is so that you are eligible to participate in the sport you love to play. Now imagine that is taken away from you. What motivation do you have to even go to school?

I have a fear of skyrocketing truancy rates as well as many of these seniors falling through the cracks of society, not to mention the mental health (suicide) aspect of the whole thing.

No sports also means: No band, no chorus, no dance squad, no theater. Basically no extra curricular activities.
I know a teacher from the Omaha-Lincoln area. Back then, as long as the SR’s go to school on a somewhat regular basis, they will graduate, despite grades, due to the “leave no child behind” well-intentioned but total fiasco of a law. She said the only ones she sees where they won’t graduate is if they skip x days or more or sexually assault a student or teacher. Even a physical assault won’t necessarily make it so they don’t graduate. Now, this was back in 2009 when she told me this so it may have changed since then.

I know a teacher from the Omaha-Lincoln area. Back then, as long as the SR’s go to school on a somewhat regular basis, they will graduate, despite grades, due to the “leave no child behind” well-intentioned but total fiasco of a law. She said the only ones she sees where they won’t graduate is if they skip x days or more or sexually assault a student or teacher. Even a physical assault won’t necessarily make it so they don’t graduate. Now, this was back in 2009 when she told me this so it may have changed since then.

It hasn't changed. The lengths kids had to go to in order to flunk during this last semester were hard to believe. It was depressing.

I'm lucky in that I have a lot of good kids and that keeps me doing my best because they deserve it. To your original point, decisions like this from Logan are going to hurt kids, both academically and athletically. It's about not getting sued, nothing more.
I think you hit the dollar sign on the head.

Kids need to be back in school and playing sports. We have two teenage daughters and the madness and paranoia from this has taken its toll. They don't know what normal is. They need structure more than anything right now. Raising a family during this mess has been all but impossible.

This is a bad...REALLY BAD decision by OPS

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back