• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Omaha High School Fall Sports/Cancelled (Update)

What I'm struggling with is, where are the reliable data? The CDC is saying Nebraska (what, ALL of Nebraska???) Is now a hot spot, based on "% positivity". Unless I'm missing something, "% positivity" is absolutely meaningless. Say, last month 10,000 people got tested, with 50 positives. That's 0.5%. Well maybe everyone was concerned they might have it last month, so they all got tested. Yesterday 100 people got tested, and there was one positive. So that means our "% positivity" doubled.

I don't know if that's how they're using the data. But I know the media get the story wrong the majority of the time, even when they're trying to get it right. And the only thing worse than no data, is incorrect data. Or people who don't know how to interpret the data.

Corn Belt Summer College baseball league in Omaha seemed to go off without a hitch. I attended many games and it seemed there were a lot of fans in the stands and the players in the dugouts were as you would expect in a normal year. High fives and it seemed every bit as normal as the previous summer.

I didn’t hear of any kids getting sick. Very minimal masks in the stands if any at all. Was a great time as it seemed “normal”.

Now son is heading back to college and back to the crap show of not even knowing if they will have baseball or weight room open or Cafeteria.

There aren't nuances at all. The numbers all back up that the young and even middle aged are being severely damaged by the fear mongering and lock downs.

Do you agree?
I honestly don't have the data at hand or knowledge to gauge this. I don't know how to rate severe damage, or even isolate it in relation to the pandemic, honestly. People are affected by numerous things, as I see daily, and how people deal with/have dealt with this pandemic reveals quite a bit. Some react and adapt, others struggle, just like with any life challenge. I only have 5 teenagers on my caseload, and they are all struggling with various issues not related to the pandemic, but for some there are some indirect struggles. I don't see as much fear as I do resilience, and for these few they seem to enjoy the positives of remote learning for example, but 5 is a small sample size. These are kids seen in a private practice setting so that may not be representative. Other therapists may be seeing different issues, IDK. Some of the parents I work with are struggling a lot more than others with certain aspects, others are not at all. There may be serious long-term effects, its hard not to think there wouldn't be, so much remains unknown. I'll always be concerned with how major life events affect people, I just have to help as many as I can work with how to adapt, adjust, manage, etc. When it comes to drawing conclusions about what represents 'severe damage' and how to attribute that directly or indirectly to decisions related to the pandemic, I believe it is nuanced so we'll just have to disagree about that.

Last edited:
I honestly don't have the data at hand or knowledge to gauge this. I don't know how to rate severe damage, or even isolate it in relation to the pandemic, honestly. People are affected by numerous things, as I see daily, and how people deal with/have dealt with this pandemic reveals quite a bit. Some react and adapt, others struggle, just like with any life challenge. I only have 5 teenagers on my caseload, and they are all struggling with various issues not related to the pandemic, but for some there are some indirect struggles. I don't see as much fear as I do resilience, and for these few they seem to enjoy the positives of remote learning for example, but 5 is a small sample size. These are kids seen in a private practice setting so that may not be representative. Other therapists may be seeing different issues, IDK. Some of the parents I work with are struggling a lot more than others with certain aspects, others are not at all. There may be serious long-term effects, its hard not to think there wouldn't be, so much remains unknown. I'll always be concerned with how major life events affect people, I just have to help as many as I can work with how to adapt, adjust, manage, etc. When it comes to drawing conclusions about what represents 'severe damage' and how to attribute that directly or indirectly to decisions related to the pandemic, I believe it is nuanced so we'll just have to disagree about that.
You should really keep up with some of the literature coming out if you're going to treat people.

Multiple lines of evidence indicate that the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) pandemic has profound psychological and social effects. The psychological sequelae of the pandemic will probably persist for months and years to come. Studies indicate that the COVID-19 pandemic is associated with distress, anxiety, fear of contagion, depression and insomnia in the general population and among healthcare professionals.

Titled "Suicide Mortality and Coronavirus Disease 2019: A Perfect Storm?" the article suggests that the unprecedented public health actions needed to contain the new pandemic, along with social distancing requirements, stay-at-home orders, and stress due to job loss, may well result in far more suicides in the years to come. Written by a team of mental health professionals led by Mark Regger of the University of Washington, the article outlines many of the economic, psychosocial, and health-associated risk factors that can be expected to increase suicide risk.

The number of studies/articles by professionals goes on and on.

I'm shocked all 5 of yours like remote learning. In schools around where I live there has been an option to either go back in a hybrid style or all online. The overwhelming choice has been to go back and that's by parents and kids.

You should really keep up with some of the literature coming out if you're going to treat people.

The number of studies/articles by professionals goes on and on.

I'm shocked all 5 of yours like remote learning. In schools around where I live there has been an option to either go back in a hybrid style or all online. The overwhelming choice has been to go back and that's by parents and kids.

I subscribe to Psychology Today and read that article from June. Both articles refer to the conditions being perfect for increased risk of suicide. This is well known and why MH professionals are concerned (as I said) and assessing with their clients, as we do with every client we see.
I would suggest tempering your professional advice with such limited information and a predilection for bold assumptions. I should have known better than to try and have a reasonable discussion. I'm done here.

I subscribe to Psychology Today and read that article from June. Both articles refer to the conditions being perfect for increased risk of suicide. This is well known and why MH professionals are concerned (as I said) and assessing with their clients, as we do with every client we see.
I would suggest tempering your professional advice with such limited information and a predilection for bold assumptions. I should have known better than to try and have a reasonable discussion. I'm done here.
Of course you're done, this is what you do. You say it's not happening, I show you it is and then you run off probably to punch a wall in frustration.

Try and use that PhD to have an actual discussion with facts.

Of course you're done, this is what you do. You say it's not happening, I show you it is and then you run off probably to punch a wall in frustration.

This isn't the medium for it and why I tried to avoid getting into it. I shouldn't have even entertained it and that was my mistake. I don't appreciate the cheap shot(s).

This isn't the medium for it and why I tried to avoid getting into it. I shouldn't have even entertained it and that was my mistake. I don't appreciate the cheap shot(s).

You guys take this to a PM and settle it there.

RR

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back